Restarant Salads & high calories!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I usually don't use any dressing while I make my salads except for a little olive oil and lemon so any salad I order outside is a dressing soup compared to that.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work my butt off at the gym the day I go out. This leaves me with more options than if I did just my normal workout.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's the dressing! I'd rather order grilled chicken with a baked potato (some restaurants will serve cottage cheese on the side for the potato is you ask) as my entree and get get a small side salad with vinegar and oil on the side:drinker:
  • Gilleran918
    Options
    My husband and i eat at red robin alot, well its seems thier salads are the highest, just thier salad mix (nothing in it) according to thier food nutrition it has 8 carbs alone
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Check the web sites for nutrition info before you go out to eat. Sometimes what we think are the 'healthy, low calorie' options aren't!!! So, be prepared.

If you do have dressing, have it on the side - then dip your fork into the dressing first and then pick up the veggies with your "dressed" fork. That way you get the dressing taste without too many calories.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If there's meat, ask that it be lightly prepared (no butter, mininal or no seasoning and not fried). Ask for the dressing on the side and watch the sodium in the dressing along with calories. Some of the low-cal options have high amts of sugar and sodium. I try to find a balance. I go for a moderate cal dressing with decent sodium over a low-cal with high sodium any day. I also dip each leaf in the dressing vs. pouring it on.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I like to stop off at KFC sometimes and get 2 chicken strips-you might have to buy them in 3s. Anyhow, I then go home and make my own salad. I bet it would work for office lunches too.

Spinach-14 cals
    KFC strips(2) 260
    Marie's yogurt ranch dressing 2tbsp-70

344 cals for a yummy filling lunch :)

Sometimes I add cucumbers and stuff but it doesn't add many cals though..haha
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Lect, that sounds delicious.

I sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the breast meat and add that to raw spinach with Ken's Light Options Honey Dijon Dressing. It's 70 cals for 2 TBSP of that dressing. The chicken is the source of most of the calories.

As for the OP, it is sometimes (or often) better to get a lean protein with steamed veggies instead. I get salmon with veggies at Longhorn and Outback when I'm trying to keep the calories low.
  • MJesuele126
    MJesuele126 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work my butt off at the gym the day I go out. This leaves me with more options than if I did just my normal workout.

haha thats what I try to do too!!! lol
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If I'm getting a salad in a restaurant, I order it "plain" with just the chicken on top. No cheese, no nuts, no fruit, etc. I also get my dressing on the side. It's a much better way of doing it, because they use way too much dressing, and the cheese is usually bleu cheese, which is icky in my opinion. ;)
  • MJesuele126
    MJesuele126 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to stop off at KFC sometimes and get 2 chicken strips-you might have to buy them in 3s. Anyhow, I then go home and make my own salad. I bet it would work for office lunches too.

Spinach-14 cals
    KFC strips(2) 260
    Marie's yogurt ranch dressing 2tbsp-70

344 cals for a yummy filling lunch :)

Sometimes I add cucumbers and stuff but it doesn't add many cals though..haha

Oh! I love this!!!