Losing weight WITHOUT doing low carb

Options
Anyone out there doing a diet//lifestyle//whatever you wanna call it without doing the low carb fab? I've been trying it and it just doesn't feel healthy to me. I just wanted to see if anyone is doing well just by eating whats considered a 'balance diet', with all food groups and such.

This is not a dis on people who ARE doing the low carb thing. If it's working for you, thats wonderful!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yes my macros are 35% carb, 35% pro 30% fat.

I get most of my carbs from oats, sweet potatoes and fruit.......seems pretty healthy to me. Not all carbs are evil, despite what you may read on here.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My diet is 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. My carbs aren't all "good" either. I typically eat between 300 - 350 g of carbs a day (sometimes more, sometimes (rarely) less). This includes my nightly pint of ice cream and 4 - 8 slices of toast (with peanut butter!) and a 4 cup bowl of cereal. I have white potato with dinner and pasta with lunch. Carbs are you friend.

Diary's open
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    More wondering about the grains aspect of it too I guess. This is a 'menu plan' that a doctor gave me.

Meal Plan
    Breakfast
    • 2 Grains_____________________
    • 1 Dairy______________________
    • 1 Fruit_______________________
    AM Snack
    • 1 Grain_____________________
    • 1 Fruit______________________
    Lunch
    • 2 Grains____________________
    • 1 Dairy_____________________
    • 1 Fruit______________________
    • 1-2 Veggies__________________
    • 3oz Protein__________________
    PM Snack
    • Pick 2 food groups for about 200 Calories______________
    Supper
    • 2 Grains_____________________
    • 1 Dairy______________________
    • 2 Veggies____________________
    • 3oz Protein___________________
    Evening Snack
    • Pick 2 food groups for about 200 Calories______________

Food Groups/Portion Sizes
    Grains – 1 slice of bread or ½ cup cereal/rice/pasta or ½ English muffin/bagel
    • Whole grains and high fiber (25-30 grams fiber per day)
    • 6-11 servings per day

Veggies – 1 cup leafy greens or ½ cup fresh/frozen/canned/100% juice
    • 3-5 servings per day

Fruit – 1 medium (tennis ball) or ½ cup fresh/frozen/canned/100% juice or ¼ cup dried
    • 2-4 servings per day

Dairy – 1 cup milk or 1 cup yogurt or 1oz cheese (1/4 cup shredded, 1 slice, 1” cube x 1” cube)
    • 3 servings per day

Protein – Meat = 3oz = deck of cards
    Nonmeat 1oz = 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, nuts, seeds
    Nonmeat 1oz = 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites
    Nonmeat 2oz = ½ cup cooked dried beans/peas/lentils
    • 6oz per day
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My diet is 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. My carbs aren't all "good" either. I typically eat between 300 - 350 g of carbs a day (sometimes more, sometimes (rarely) less). This includes my nightly pint of ice cream and 4 - 8 slices of toast (with peanut butter!) and a 4 cup bowl of cereal. I have white potato with dinner and pasta with lunch. Carbs are you friend.

Diary's open

Oh my goodness, I am shocked! its obviously working for you if you've lost as much as you have, and granted I'm only a beginner in the learning stages, but for some reason that strikes me as a very non common diet routine. Im happy it works for you though :)
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of carbs as well and have no issues losing weight, i eat fruit and oats like they are going out of style
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've always raised an eyebrow to any diet that says you need to cut a whole nutrient out for no other reason than for weight loss. Fat, carbs, whatever. Balance FTW. But, that's me- more power to you if you're successful that way! :)

That said. I'm not low carbing. I've lost about 3/4 pounds, which is like a drop in the bucket compared to my goal, but I've already lost an just under an inch off my waist after 2 weeks, which is the biggest thing for me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Because of my diabetes my doctor has me on a no starch diet plan. I had to give up potatoes, rice, bread and pastas. Not only to help with my blood sugar but to help with my weight. I have plenty of carbs with vegetables and fruits. I'm really enjoying seeing my weight as well as the inches falling off.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My macros are set up to be 65% carbs, 15% fat, 20% protein. I've lost 17 lbs so far (started a month ago). The biggest change was from eating processed foods to healthier foods for the entire month.
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm over my carb limit on mfp every day and my weight is coming off with no problem. Just staying within my calorie count has worked well for me. I eat mostly what ever I want as long as it fits in the count.
  • Jennlock2003
    Options
    Love carbs! Mine are typically between 50 and 55% a day.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Love me some carbs. Diary is open.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Carbs are important for brain function!! I like to eat a little protein, fiber, and carbs at each meal.

You don't need that super-detailed plan the doctor wrote, IMO ... read around MFP and learn about macros and count your calories, and viola.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I just eat pretty much what I feel like but try and keep my protein up.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs are helpful if you have a carb-sensitive condition (diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism). Otherwise, carb away! I eat about 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein usually.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would venture to guess most successful people are doing it without low carb
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Diary's open

Oh my goodness, I am shocked! its obviously working for you if you've lost as much as you have, and granted I'm only a beginner in the learning stages, but for some reason that strikes me as a very non common diet routine. Im happy it works for you though :)

As far as weight loss goes it's really as simple as calories in vs. calories out. You can eat snickers all day and lose weight if you're in caloric deficit, you might not feel good or be healthy, but you'll lose weight.

I had to reduce my cardio from 7 days a week to 3 because I was loosing @ 3200 calories a day, I didn't want to eat the 4200+ needed daily to maintain that cardio level.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I looked at mine for the last month or so...Around 60%. Still lost around 12lbs. in that time.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cannot give up carbs. I enjoy them too much, and honestly I feel that if I cut them out, I would crash and burn. I have stopped eating white flour pasta and bread, and I don't eat as much refined sugar unless I'm craving a little. I eat less starchy potatoes. And with this, I've lost a little over 20 pounds so far (two months).
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Love carbs! Mine are typically between 50 and 55% a day.

This. My carbs are 50-55% as well...that works best for me to fuel my workouts. It is completely possible for many people to lose weight without going "low carb." I like to think of it as "smarter carbs." I eat more green leafy vegetables, lots of fruit, lean protein, and whole grains--and less junk. I have to exercise portion control with pasta because I love it, but I haven't cut it out of my weekly food intake...I just don't eat it every day. 38 pounds gone, without having to completely give up anything I love. :)