Cat owners - question about 2nd kitty

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
We adopted a beautiful, crazy, loving, vocal, smart, fun cat in January from a local shelter. He's now about a year old, and we think he's either part Bengal or Savannah (the vet leans towards Savannah). His name is Sheldon, after the character on Big Bang Theory, because he's so smart and quirky.

We (well I, not so much my husband) are considering adopting a 2nd one, both because we have so much fun with Sheldon, and to give him a playmate when we are not home. I'm concerned, however, how Sheldon will react to another cat in 'his' house (he's fixed, btw).

Oh, here's a pic of him:

Kitty.jpg

So for those of you who have introduced another cat when you already had one (or 7), what advice do you have? Did you keep them separate for a day or 2? Toss them in the same room and let them duke it out (just kidding, I wouldn't do that), or just let them get used to each other all at once?

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I just adopted a kitten about 3 weeks ago. I already had 2 cats. I kept the kitten in a separate room for 2 days and only allowed him out of his room when i was there to supervise. One of the cats couldn't care less about the kitten. The other cat was territorial with hissing. After the 1st week the hissing became a little less. Now its week 3 and all the cats play with each other and eat together.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I just adopted a kitten about 3 weeks ago. I already had 2 cats. I kept the kitten in a separate room for 2 days and only allowed him out of his room when i was there to supervise. One of the cats couldn't care less about the kitten. The other cat was territorial with hissing. After the 1st week the hissing became a little less. Now its week 3 and all the cats play with each other and eat together.

Aww, didn't know you were a cat person. I like you a little more now :wink:
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have four cats at present. With any new cat I put the new cat in a separate room when either me or my husband are not present. I also try feeding the new cat and resident cat on opposite sides of the door which separates them so they get used to each others scents and associate something pleasant with being near each other. It may take a while for total house harmony but keep at it. I also have Feliway diffusers in my home when I can afford them to try to keep tempers even between two cats who are still a bit jealous of each other after 2+ years.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Cats are actually pretty solitary creatures and many prefer to be an only cat.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    We tried for a year to introduce Joey to Midas and they hated every minute of it. They were both fixed, but in the end Midas was and still is ruler of this house. He weighs 20 lbs, so he is King (hence the name)

Here is my baby, I'm like that annoying parent who shows everyone pics of their children, sorry :laugh:
    midastie.jpg
    midashugging.jpg
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have 3 cats and I am lucky that they are all sweethearts. There was a bit of hissing at each introduction but it didn't last long.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    We allowed the new kittys to come into the home and all cats get used to each other right away. Never separated them but definitely made sure there was supervision, just in case. I have 4 cats, all rescued by my adult children who eventually "gave" them to us to care for after their circumstances had changed. Fortunately, the house is fairly large and they have plenty of solitary space if they so chose. We have one female cat who, along with her brother from the same litter, were the first cats to arrive. She loves her brother but barely tolerates the other two males who joined our family years later. Sometimes I am the referee. LOL
  • LJ728
    LJ728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar situation! We got a kitten and as he grew we noticed he had a "wild side" and the vet said he was a Maine Coon. He NEEDED a playmate. So, when he was about 7-8 months we adopted a Russian Blue kitten who was10 weeks at the time (i think) and we followed the adoption company advice, which was to keep them separate and VERY slowly introduce them. First, we rubbed a towel on each of their cheeks and let the other kitten smell that for a while. Then used toys and let one kitten play with it then the other to get used to their scents. Then we had them sniff each other through the door. A show on animal planet also suggested having them see each other without contact using a sliding glass door, we just didn't have a place to do that. Then after about a week we slowly introduced them for a few minutes, then an hour, and extended it each time over the next few weeks. We kept this up for about 3 weeks total until it was SO hard to keep them apart as one would dash where the other one was.

A few side notes, the new kitten and "old" kitten were both neutered (both male) before all this and even though they are now together all the time, we still have two litter boxes and two food bowls, two water bowls, etc. They became the best of friends and play together all the time and we have never had a issue with hissing or clawing/biting meant to hurt the other kitten, even though the "old" kitten was significantly larger and has more powerful claws that the younger kitten. The more you ease them into the each other the less likely you will have issues with spraying and marking territory. Worked for our kittens!!
  • LJ728
    LJ728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here they are the first time we caught them snuggling!!!

ja8hmv.jpg
  • silverbubble
    Options
    When you bring the new kitty into the house keep the new kitty in a crate for awhile. Let them get use to each other that way. Once they seem calm slowly let new kitty out of the carrier, but only in supervised visit until they get use to each other. Not unless you find that they fall head over paws. Most shelters will tell you if a cat is good with other cats. So, that will be something you should look into with the new kitty. It will make things much easier.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^^ this is the way to introduce them...slowly and patiently! And if he's a neutered male get a spayed female...
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    He's so cute! We got a new kitten a year and a half ago when she was 7 weeks. Our older cat was then about 8 and very much not kind to other cats lol. She was raised by a dog but not good with other cats. It took quite a while and a lot of hissing (she still hisses at her all the time) but they are now "friends" (sisters lol) and they nap together and play some. I think over time, your cat will be fine.
  • BreeLopez94
    Options
    We tried for a year to introduce Joey to Midas and they hated every minute of it. They were both fixed, but in the end Midas was and still is ruler of this house. He weighs 20 lbs, so he is King (hence the name)

Here is my baby, I'm like that annoying parent who shows everyone pics of their children, sorry :laugh:
    midastie.jpg
    midashugging.jpg

So cute!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Oh, your cat is adorable! We have 2 cats (we had 3 at one time), and kept them separated for a while at first. The 2nd cat we introduced into our house was an orphan kitty, so he needed some special care and was kept by himself for quite a while... so I can't remember the typical time to wait. None of our cats are declawed, and while they played with each other they never really tried to hurt each other. (Now they are old and need to go on diets too, and just cuddle up with each other if a human isn't available).
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I put the new kitten or cat in a separate bedroom, then put up 3 baby gates like a screen. Then the cats get to know each other with out danger of fights. It seems to work pretty well.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have 6 cats now, and have fostered up to 13 and have fostered over 50 over the years. if you are going to adopt, which is awesome btw, you can separate them if you would like. the day i got each one, no matter how many at that time, i watched them carefully all day to see their reaction. they slept with me at night, and thankfully, most were ok with each other and could care less now. first couple of days i would say when you leave definitely confine them in different rooms. once you think you can trust them just let them roam. mine still hiss once in awhile, but most of them just want to sleep with us and the one with the 3 year old. good luck, and most cats either get along or leave each other alone.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    good ideas but before you bring ANY new cat into your home, please have it vet checked. You may need to keep it seperate for 7 days if you cant get to the vet right away so that they dont contaminate each other. If they are co-eating, and co-pooping, a worms infestation can be spread through every animal. Plus, ear mites and other, more serious illnesses may be spread.

Vet check, THEN a few days apart, OR 7 days apart or until you can get to the vet.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

So cute!!

Thanks! We try telling him to get a job because he eats so much, but alas, even with a tie no one wants to hire a cat. Weirdos....
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    awwww you are about to rock his world by bringing another cat into the house! lol

I have two myself, my first one was only 4 months old when I brought the second one in, who was about 3 months. They fought like crazy the first day or two...I just let them go. I figured they were trying to figure out their rank around here. There was hissing and growling but they eventually figured out they had to live with one another.

Now, a little less than two months later, they are playmates and co-conspirators. They love each other. Neither one is fixed (yet) Since your cat is older, it may be interesting to see how it all pans out.

the black & white one is Oscar and the gray one is Blue.

img20120705090219.jpg
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Some tips I read about when adopting my second kitty.

1. Try to adopt one of the opposite gender. If the first is fixed, it isn't a big deal anyway and it keeps them from being territorial...or helps with it at least.

2. Bathe the new kitty before introducing it to the other cat. That way it has a neutral smell and won't be offensive towards the other one.

3. Make sure you can monitor how the cats behave together for the first few days and keep the separate when you can't be home.

My cats are like brother and sister now (fight like it sometimes too).