What do you do when you dont like veggies???

Options
rcalvert1
rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
The only veggies I will eat are peas and corn. I know corn is pretty much useless so what does one do when you dont like veggies? Please dont say, "just eat them" because that is not going to happen.

Replies

• Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to prepare them another way. I was never a veggie lover but I eat salad and veggies all of the time now. I steam my veggies and they taste so much better that way. Also, finding a really good salad dressing helped. I add feta cheese and whatever else I am in the mood for and now I really love it. It has taken a lot of changes. I feel for you. Good luck....maybe just try one thing at a time, studies say that children may try things up to 7 times before they "like" them. I would think it is the same principle for big kids too. :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Start taking loads of supplements I guess, vegetables provide many nutrients that are hard to get else where. As well as fiber and general awesomeness. True story.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hide them in other things. For instance, I shred carrots into spaghetti sauce and my husband/kids don't even know they are in there. I hear zuccini is good for that too. Or you can add them to other items, just cut them up small enough so that you don't notice. I use a chunky veggie sauce in my lasagna and you can't even taste them due to the ricotta. I have also found that when I put them in salad I don't mind them. I have a dislike for broccoli but I can eat it when it's with other veggies in a salad. I am sure the dressing helps disguise the taste too. Check out www.sneakychef.com , I know it's geared toward kids but it might help you too.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting them in the oven at a high temp (425) with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper? Carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips, eggplant, zucchini, squash, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and asparagus are all particularly good this way. I do like my veggies, but roasted is my favorite way to eat them. You could do it in a roasting pan on the grill, too, if you don't want to turn on the oven.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There used to be a lot of veggies I would not eat until we found creative recipes to combine them with other things. I.e. spaghetti squash with a turkey meat sauce, or cottage cheese with diced onions, cucumber, chives, tomatoes and celery. I eat veggies every day now. Check out recipes on clean eating or vegan websites, they're loaded with great ideas
  • baabaabetsy
    Options
    I used to be pretty picky--I didn't like fish, tofu, many veggies, any seafood, etc... But I decided that that was ridiculous. I was cutting out so many types of food that I could be enjoying and are healthy for me. It's not about the food--it's about you. I told myself I would eat it until I enjoyed it and guess what--it worked. I LIKE fish and seafood and I can't think of a single veggie that I dislike! I'm even eating natto (fermented soybeans that are pretty slimy) and I actually enjoy it. But I didn't at first--in fact I HATED it. It was a struggle to get through a little package of natto. But natto is amazingly good for you so I told myself that eventually I'd like it. So I ate it once a week at first (had to rebuilt my willpower lol) then a couple times a week and now I eat it frequently because I enjoy it.

You just have to change your frame of mind. If you tell yourself you're going to like it, even if you don't the first or second or tenth time keep eating it. Learn to appreciate the flavor and nutrition of the food.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies either, I juice a lot in order to get the vitamins from the veggies.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    dip them in ranch dressing. everything always tastes better dipped in ranch dressing. :smile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    dip them in ranch dressing. everything always tastes better dipped in ranch dressing. :smile:

^ There's always that! Might not aid in the weight loss, but it will help get veggies down!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Learn how to cook them! A good place to start: http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

Friend the page on FB, and you will have the new recipes delivered to your FB page, getting around the NYT 10 page a month limit.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I do GNC lean 25 shakes.. they have 9 grams of fiber per serving, 200 calories and 25 grams of protein. Also use spinach wraps instead of flour tortillas or whole grain. They are loaded with fiber also. Multi-vitamin, and keep trying veggies different ways. U'll find something that you like.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Tons of good tips here - especially about preparation. Try preparing them in all sorts of different ways - in sauces you like, in a stir fry, make a casserole - things like that. I have to be honest though - maybe you need to go to go out on a limb here and try more veggies. There is no way you hate every single kind of veggie you like. Try a bunch of new veggies, or some that you haven't tried in a while and see what you think - maybe you will surprise yourself. Keep in mind that there are over 50 species of fruits and veggies so I will be a monkeys uncle if you can't find something that is for you! Best of luck!!
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, get a good juicer and add vegetables blended with apples and other fruits blends. You taste the sweet and don't really know what else has been added. Carrots, beets, and other vegetables also add sweetness to vegetable drinks. No excuse to not have your vegetables!
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting them in the oven at a high temp (425) with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper? Carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips, eggplant, zucchini, squash, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and asparagus are all particularly good this way. I do like my veggies, but roasted is my favorite way to eat them. You could do it in a roasting pan on the grill, too, if you don't want to turn on the oven.

This!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you have to change your tastebuds to like them and sorry the only way to do that is to just eat them :tongue:
  • rcalvert1
    Options
    thanks I will take a look at that site
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    eat them anyway. I dont particularly like brocolli(spelling) but I eat it with lemon and lime olive oil and crush red pepper to get it down. I do not like squash so i prepare it the same way. saute mushrooms, onions, red yellow orange and green peppers with garlic, pour over meat.
  • rcalvert1
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, get a good juicer and add vegetables blended with apples and other fruits blends. You taste the sweet and don't really know what else has been added. Carrots, beets, and other vegetables also add sweetness to vegetable drinks. No excuse to not have your vegetables!
    I realize this hints the reason I asked. Is there a web site that gives out juicing receipes that you use?
  • rcalvert1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think part of my problem is not knowing how to cook them let alone know what their flavor is going to be like. I am one of those people that if it doesnt look or smell good, I wont try it. I appreciate everyones comments.
  • rcalvert1
    Options
    lol seriously, I depise veggies ... carrots, green beans, califlower, brocolli, aspargus ... if its green chances are I dont like them. Pretty much all veggies Ive tried I didnt like.