Just sayin'...

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
FACT: I lost nearly 80 lbs. in 2011 and have 40 lbs. left to lose.

FACTS: My BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2000. I've been netting between 1200-1800 calories per day for the last 6 months and MAINTAINING. I weigh my food using a digital scale. I work out intermittently, have a very active job and social life and bike to and from work a few times a week. I factor all of this in to net calories per day using a calories burned calculator that has been proven to show the same figures as a heart rate monitor.

FACT: It's not as simple as it should be, people. Stop yelling at each other in the forums.

:drinker:

We'll all get there when we figure out what works. Some basic principles apply to everyone but carbon copies we are not.

Thoughts?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    FACTS: My BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2000. I've been netting between 1200-1800 calories per day for the last 6 months and MAINTAINING

Your facts contain a contradiction.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    FACTS: My BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2000. I've been netting between 1200-1800 calories per day for the last 6 months and MAINTAINING

Show me?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A website estimated your TDEE as 2000 and your net calories as 1200-1800.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Okay?

Can someone help me see what I'm missing with this TDEE thing? Clearly you understand something that I don't.

Explain it to me like I'm a 10-yr. old.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Okay?

Can someone help me see what I'm missing with this TDEE thing? Clearly you understand something that I don't.

If you were a 10-yr old I'd tell you to stop worrying about your g0d damn TDEE and go play outside.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Okay?

If you were a 10-yr old I'd tell you to stop worrying about your g0d damn TDEE and go play outside.

:laugh:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Where did you get the 2,000 TDEE number from?
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Okay?

So, either you've overestimated your TDEE or underestimated your net intake.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Its an average of a variety of TDEE output from online calculators. Where should it be? :/
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    This place is so frustrating. :/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Just keep playin with it, McKay. You'll figure it out. I think what they are saying is it isn't as easy as just picking a number. It's a dynamic process. Nip/tuck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its an average of a variety of TDEE output from online calculators. Where should it be? :/

The problem with online calculators is that they are only estimates of averages. Individual factors will contribute to variances. What people are saying is that if you are maintaining at a certain calorie level, by definition, that is your TDEE, not the online calculator number.

When you say you have gained on 1200 - 1800 calories, how long did you stick to the calorific intake for each level (i.e. at 1200, at 1300, at 1400, or however you jumped up/down). Or, have you been eating at different points between this range throughout the whole time you have gained? How long have to been gaining?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Show me?

Sorry if that sounded snooty. What I meant was that something seems off here. If you maintain on 1200-1800 per day, then your TDEE cannot be 2000. It would have to be 1200-1800, by definition.

Oh wait, did you mean net calories? If you're talking 1200-1800 net, and you work out 200-800 calories per day, then it adds up.

So basically if your TDEE is 2000 and you're grossing 2000 calories then you would indeed maintain.

But that doesn't sound quite right either... 2000 seems sorta low given your active life. How are you measuring the exercise calories? And have you been logging consistently?