Job Interview Advice

Options
Lobster1987
Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
Ok, so I'm in the market for a new job...hopefully a career, as I am almost 25 and it's about damn time I get a real job.

I have trouble with some of the questions...for example, "What is a weakness of yours that you feel you need improvement on?"

Well, I'm totally awesome...Or at least I want them to think that, so what do I tell them? What's a weakness that isn't necessarily a "bad" weakness to have?

And those damn situational questions...."Tell us about a time when you had a miscommunication with a supervisor and how did you resolve it?"

What if I can't think of a specific instance? I mean, I want to answer the question as thoroughly as possible, so do I just make up some sort of story and make up an ending of how I realistically would have resolved the issue?

And over the past 4 years, I haven't had a job longer than 1-2 years. What do I say about that when they ask if I'm just skipping around? I got fired from one, but the others were more short term pay-my-way-through-college type jobs. I don't want them to think that I'm going to quit after a year or something. How do I talk that up to make it sound not as bad?????

What advice do you have?

Thank you!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am so pissed I just wrote out a long reply and I accidentally hit the back button.

ugh.

Anyway. I'll try to rephrase.

For the weakness question, come up with something REAL. Dont' tell them some bull**** "weakness" that isn't really a weakness such as "I'm too much of a perfectionist." That will just make them roll their eyes at you. Be honest. And come up with examples of how you are working to improve in this area or how you plan to. For me, I say that I'm really introverted and shy.

Come up with a list of accomplishments and situations that you've been in that make you look good. Also come up with a list of good qualities that you have and think of examples or something you have done to prove these qualities. This should give you a good mental database for answering those situational questions.

You are young so they shouldn't really care that you haven't held a job for very long at this point. I'm 23 and have never been asked about that. They know I just graduated from college and haven't found a "real" job yet.

As for other advice, make yourself look professional and show good manners. Come up with a list of questions to ask your interviewer beforehand to make you look interested and research the company beforehand also to show that you came prepared. Also write a thank you note. Email is fine but I like to do a hand-written one because I just think it adds a nice touch.

I have a third interview tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'm getting the job! Good luck!

Eta: come up with a good spiel for when they say "tell me about yourself." and practice it lol. Out loud.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Thank you1
    I just have a hard time figuring out what a weakness is....like I can be stubborn....but that can be a good thing. It's hard to think of something right in the moment...
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm in the market for a new job...hopefully a career, as I am almost 25 and it's about damn time I get a real job.

I have trouble with some of the questions...for example, "What is a weakness of yours that you feel you need improvement on?"

Well, I'm totally awesome...Or at least I want them to think that, so what do I tell them? What's a weakness that isn't necessarily a "bad" weakness to have?

And those damn situational questions...."Tell us about a time when you had a miscommunication with a supervisor and how did you resolve it?"

What if I can't think of a specific instance? I mean, I want to answer the question as thoroughly as possible, so do I just make up some sort of story and make up an ending of how I realistically would have resolved the issue?

And over the past 4 years, I haven't had a job longer than 1-2 years. What do I say about that when they ask if I'm just skipping around? I got fired from one, but the others were more short term pay-my-way-through-college type jobs. I don't want them to think that I'm going to quit after a year or something. How do I talk that up to make it sound not as bad?????

What advice do you have?

Thank you!

i've done a lot of hiring and interviewing and gotten a lot of jobs so been interviewed a lot of times. Weaknesses- Sort of a trick question in that it's bad to answer with "I don't have any" but it's also bad to say "I have a problem with getting to work on time. I'm always half an hour late...." Take a serious look at your WORK self and what is something you'd like to improve on? Not necessarily weakness but not a strength. For me, "I get frustrated with coworkers gossiping and I overcompensate by limiting my interaction with all coworkers not just the gossipers. I've worked hard in the past year/2 years to better balance my interaction with coworkers..."

Situational- Nothing wrong with answering "I really can't recall any specific situation like that. I feel that I'm a fairly strong communicator and if I feel that I'm not understanding exactly what is being asked, I don't hesitate to ask for more details" I always ask "tell me about the biggest mistake you've ever made related to a job...." My interest is more about your honesty, when you made the mistake, did you tell the boss? Did you correct it without anybody knowing? etc.

I changed jobs a lot. Over 30 years, longest I've been in any job was 5. First 8 years out of college I had 8 different jobs. You've got no issue. Tell them straight up "i got fired from that job because...." as long as it wasn't criminal or something truly heinous. For the job jumping- "I was working my way through college and the jobs I had were to pay the bills, not necessarily a career position. But I learned important things in each job I had. For instance, in job number 2, I had to do this and learned that...."
  • rjt1000
    Options
    and by the way, your profile pic looks so much like my niece, I had to check your profile to make sure you weren't her. Seriously, the faces are eerily similar.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    That's a lot of good advice thank you!!! :)

And no, I'm probably not your neice...hahaha
  • rjt1000
    Options
    I am so pissed I just wrote out a long reply and I accidentally hit the back button.

ugh.

Anyway. I'll try to rephrase.

For the weakness question, come up with something REAL. Dont' tell them some bull**** "weakness" that isn't really a weakness such as "I'm too much of a perfectionist." That will just make them roll their eyes at you. Be honest. And come up with examples of how you are working to improve in this area or how you plan to. For me, I say that I'm really introverted and shy.

Come up with a list of accomplishments and situations that you've been in that make you look good. Also come up with a list of good qualities that you have and think of examples or something you have done to prove these qualities. This should give you a good mental database for answering those situational questions.

You are young so they shouldn't really care that you haven't held a job for very long at this point. I'm 23 and have never been asked about that. They know I just graduated from college and haven't found a "real" job yet.

As for other advice, make yourself look professional and show good manners. Come up with a list of questions to ask your interviewer beforehand to make you look interested and research the company beforehand also to show that you came prepared. Also write a thank you note. Email is fine but I like to do a hand-written one because I just think it adds a nice touch.

I have a third interview tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'm getting the job! Good luck!

Eta: come up with a good spiel for when they say "tell me about yourself." and practice it lol. Out loud.

One great question to ask the interviewer is "from your review of resume and what you've learned about me in this interview, in regards to the specific job, what do you see as my weak area or the one thing about me that you're concerned isn't strong enough for this position?" Meaning- tell me why I'm not the right person for this job...... DON'T ask "What could I have done better in this interview?" I've had several people ask me that. I respond "first, you shouldn't have asked that question...."
  • rjt1000
    Options
    That's a lot of good advice thank you!!! :)

And no, I'm probably not your neice...hahaha

biggest thing is to be honest and don't try to fake that you know something you don't. If you don't know an answer, say so.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I thought of a good weakness of mine....I take constructive criticism personally.

How do I overcome that weakness?
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My two cents? Look at how much you've accomplished in your life health wise, you can do anything you put your mind to (thanks George McFly). You just need to translate it into confidence here. Take a deep breath and just be honest. The one thing I always pick up on is if someone is lying about experience, education, etc.

Some interview questions are just awful. The "where do you see yourself in five years" and "what are your weak points" are the worst. For the former I typically left it open ended and pointed out that I'm constantly trying to better myself. Weak points I was honest, public speaking and sometimes organization. Sell yourself, don't sell some person you won't wind up being.

Your weakness you listed is a solid example, just say that you're aware of it and you're doing your best to take it for what it is and improve off those suggestions/criticisms.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    for a weakness thing of things you want to improve on instead

ie. do you know another language, would you like to....say "i feel that my weakness is that i haven't yet learned another language because i know how important multiculturalism is and the difficulty of language barriers, etc."

i have before said i can work ahead on timelines and it throws off group work, but to keep myself in check i will check in with the team as well
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I thought of a good weakness of mine....I take constructive criticism personally.

i like this weakness, never ever say you aren't sure of what your weakness is. it shows a lack of self-awareness, and that isn't easily overcome.

look up how to not take things personally, and you could use that as your example to overcome this strength
  • rjt1000
    Options

you don't have to overcome it. But that's actually a good answer for the interview question. Just phrase it a little better. "I have a tendency to take constructive criticism too personally. I think it's mainly that I'm disappointed in myself and angry that I didn't do something as well as I could/should have...."

Aside from the interview- overcoming that? First thing is that you've realized that you do it. Next step is when you receive criticism, stop and think about WHAT's being said and separate it from the person saying it and how they're saying it. Maybe take some notes. If you don't understand what you didn't do right, ask for clarification. And don't hesitate to ask "how should I have handled that?" or "is there something specific that I can do next time that comes up...."
  • rjt1000
    Options
    for a weakness thing of things you want to improve on instead

ie. do you know another language, would you like to....say "i feel that my weakness is that i haven't yet learned another language because i know how important multiculturalism is and the difficulty of language barriers, etc."

i have before said i can work ahead on timelines and it throws off group work, but to keep myself in check i will check in with the team as well

AWESOME responses.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Excellent advice! Thank you!

I have an interview on Friday for a mental health practitioner postition, and I would love love love to have it. M-F 8 to 4, and helping people....it would be perfect. I love to help others.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I have other weaknesses....that I like to gossip or talk too much.....but I don't want to say those in an interview.... I wouldn't know what else to say, because I am always on time, I am very reliable and dependable. A very hard and motivated worker.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to even land a friggin interview lately, so i'll just say congrats on the weight loss!!
  • allisonleigh11
    Options
    My dad is a school principal so he is ALWAYS doing interview but about the weakness one its good to rephrase it. Like, What is you greatest weakness? I would say mine would be that sometimes I work to hard and I tend to overwork myself. You rephrase it to something positive
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welll when i do interviews i search careerbuilder for tips...i study them n write them down..my current job is at an insurance company when i 1st interviewed i didnt get the job but after i researched the tips on the website i got the. Job because i was prepared n very much confident....
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Are these real questions you've gotten on interviews or something you've read on a blog or magazine? I ask because the same questions and advice is like 30 years old.

You are only 25 - I'd guess one of your biggest weakness is going to be lack of long term experience. but as far as dealing with stressful situations - do you have any siblings. Ever get into a fight and need to resolve it - how about meeting deadlines... were you good about getting homework done and turned in on time. Experiences and life situations don't have to revolve around work .. if you've got other life experiences - like being part of an athletic team, or drama club, volunteer work - those are all relevant experiences and can replace any "real" job experience

Good luck - the best foot forward is confidence in who you are and what you can offer.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS send a follow up email thanking them for the interview. Do it within 12 hours. If they offer you something to drink, take it. You will get nervous and dry mouthed. Also, it is a good stall technique when you are trying to answer questions. Don't worry about job hopping. I'm 45 and in my chosen profession (paralegal), there is a lot of movement at all levels. The longest I've ever been at a job is 5 years. Some jobs I've left on my own and some were "involuntary." :wink:

For some of the best info, go to about.com and then the jobs & careers section. Everything from interview questions, to writing cover letters, thank you emails. My favorite is the section what to say when you've been fire. You NEVER EVER say I was fired because.....Go to that section and find one that works for you. And then practice practice practice so it comes naturally do you during an interview.