Best workouts for those with joint pain?

Options
I'm starting this journey - again - with about 25 pounds to loose. I used to love running, but I have autoimmune issues that make my joints feel awful when I do anything too high impact. Any recommendations? I would love to do more than Pilates!

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Checkout you tube running in water. An olympian has a video on running in deep water and it burns a lot of calories.

Have fun.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You could buy a rebounder (mini indoor trampoline). I have one and use it for anything high impact that I do in the Insanity workouts. You can get a cheap one from Walmart or someplace like that. Or you can spend a lot more. They can get quite expensive. I have the Fitness Trampoline from Jump Sport. It was about $225, but well worth it for me. I have two bad knees. This one is made with bungee cords instead of metal coil springs, so the bounce is a lot softer. I highly recommend any kind of mini trampoline for anyone with bad joints. My mom has RA and she has one that she absolutely loves. There are plenty of home workout DVDs you can buy specifically for the rebounder too....
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this journey - again - with about 25 pounds to loose. I used to love running, but I have autoimmune issues that make my joints feel awful when I do anything too high impact. Any recommendations? I would love to do more than Pilates!

Water is best but try modifying moves so you don't jump or jar the joints. Strength trang is good too
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Strength training with not overly heavy weight focusing heavily on form and slowing down the reps is an option that could help in the long run. Anything in the pool is a great idea that these guys already jumped on. Glucosamine supplements may help too. I used to have pretty bad joint pain in my left knee, the good news is that as you get stronger the better it is and the harder you can push yourself. You just have to keep at it and at the same time not push yourself to where you hurt yourself worse.
  • lissybits
    lissybits Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I belong to the Y, but I'm not a particularly strong swimmer - guess it's time to get on that!
    Lissy
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking into Bikram Yoga.
  • debrussell
    debrussell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had both knees and a hip replaced last year. I stick to the pool. I do deep water fitness at the Y. It's an all body work out and easy on the joints. I am very limited in what exercise I can do, but the deep water class gets me breathless, my head sweats, and muscles burn. Might as well give it a try if you're already a member.