Tips for healthy eating when unable to store food at home!

Options
regecko
regecko Posts: 5 Member
Hi all! I need some suggestions on foods that I can pick up/shelf stable foods to eat without breaking the bank.

Here's the backstory: I am an avid cook and I love to discover new things in the kitchen, and generally I can cook satisfying and healthy meals. About a month ago, a pest infestation broke out in our apartment fourplex. Unfortunately, it has gotten so bad that I can't keep ANY sort of highly perishable foods around, not even in the refrigerator/freezer. This is extremely frustrating and distressing, because I am a clean person and it grosses me out that my home is in this state. The landlord is not doing anything, and all of us in the fourplex have exhausted our resources to get rid of the pest problem but we haven't found the source and so the pests just keep multiplying. I am moving into a new apartment September 1st, but until then I am going to have to stick it out in my current one with all the bugs (yuck!!).

So here is my real question: what are some foods that are shelf stable or relatively cheap that I can pick up and use day to day so that I don't have to store it at my apartment? I have found myself eating out a lot more since this situation has come up, and this isn't good for my wallet or my waistline since I tend to make poor choices when faced with a drive-thru menu. I have been making slow but sure progress in the right direction, and I don't want to undo it because I'm not able to prepare healthy foods in my home. I also have to live on a pretty low food budget, so I don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated! I cannot WAIT for September 1st to be here!

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How about keeping some dry goods in your car or workplace (office, locker, etc.)?
    Apples, peaches, bannanas do not need to be refrigerated. Nuts like almonds, cashews, and walnuts are good. If you have access to a refrigeratior at work, you could store cheese, yogurt, meats, etc. there. If your work has a freezer, pick up some Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine/Weight Watchers frozen meals to eat there.
    Really sorry to hear about the pest problem!! :noway:
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ew that must be terrible! In addition to whatever suggestions you get in this thread, I would suggest educating yourself on healthy choices at restaurants you frequent. I used to literally have a list of "safe" foods at all my favorite places to eat, like Chipotle, Chik-Fil-A, Subway, etc. Most chain restaurants have all their nutrition information on their websites, but you can also google "healthy choices at blank restaurant" and sometimes you can find lists of what to eat and what not to. Here are some resources to get you started:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/print-list/185939
    http://www.eatingrules.com/menu-mondays-index/ - I love this guy! He's very thorough and doesn't just look at calories but also sodium, fat, sugar, etc.

There are also iphone apps that have calorie information for almost all major restaurant chains, it's really good for the spur of the moment times when you don't have access to a computer. If you have an iphone, I'd suggest downloading the "Fast food calories" app, it's even free!

Obviously eating out isn't the best option for most people but since you mentioned it's easiest for you with your current situation, you should know that it is definitely possible to eat out relatively healthily (as long as you have the willpower to stay away from the big macs and milkshakes).
  • regecko
    regecko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions, guys! Making a list of safe foods is also a good idea, I haven't thought of that before.

Also, I work at a grocery store so I frequently do the Healthy Choice frozen meals, I just don't like to do them too often because I know they have a pretty high sodium content.

Thanks again!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    edit: sorry, i read back and the question was answered.

depending on the pest, you can keep things in mason jars in the fridge. you can prepare things ahead of time for a day or two's consumption, then put them in the jars in the fridge / freezer.

many fresh foods will be better if you put a little water in the bottom of the jar, and then refrigerate.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of allergies, so it's hard for me to eat out. When I have to stay in a hotel, I tend to just buy a pre-washed bag of lettuce or other salad and then add some beans, chickpeas or tuna or something like that from a tin.
    If I can get my hands on some precooked rice or pasta, I throw that in too.
    This isn't shelf stable, but you can just buy it from the store and eat it straight away.

Maybe you should look at some raw food recipes, because some of them hardly require any preparation.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i would also call the health department on your landlord assuming you have tried to have him care for the situation and he has not. it's not fair to the next tenant. you should also be able to get some of your money back from trying to take care of the problem yourself.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    i would also call the health department on your landlord assuming you have tried to have him care for the situation and he has not. it's not fair to the next tenant. you should also be able to get some of your money back from trying to take care of the problem yourself.

this and refuse to pay rent until it's sorted