Breadless Diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a wheat intolerance. Pasta and noodles are a no go for me and I very rarely eat bread either. I still get my carbs in though, brown rice, quinoa, potatoes etc. It won't do you any harm and bread can be a bit empty in terms of calories!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say bread is empty calories at all. Go for the least processed. Look for whole grain or sprouted grain. Fiber isn't the only nutrient you get from grains. If you want, use lettuce wraps in place of bread, but I personally think moderation is key. On the other hand, deli meat is pretty worthless. Anything smoked or cured is bound to be loaded with sodium. Get organic chicken breast, grill, and slice. Tastes better, IMO. Good luck on your journey!
  • jackieatx
    Options
    Christofor: I am in love with your brain.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread. I just make it count by only eating really good-quality bread and setting portion limits for myself. Hand-baked sourdough, challah, etc.

As for luncheon meats, see if your butcher sells a turkey log. Turkey log is basically turkey breast tied with string into a log-shape, sort of like a pot roast but turkey. Season it, bake it in the oven, and then slice!
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    I don't eat bread, don't miss it....I've a more varied diet now as I'm not relying on the loaf in the fridge! Diary is open (I think)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    3. As for people with gluten issues, they have to eliminate whole grains. Everyone else, however, does not, and by eliminating whole grains you miss out on some nutritional benefit:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/gluten-free-diet_b_907027.html
    <snip>

What about the people who have not been diagnosed as gluten intolerant but still have grain issues that they may not even know about? Many people report improvements in conditions and health when they give the grains up even if they are not 'gluten intolerant'.

Leaky gut syndrome? Auto-immune diseases?

And what nutritional benefit that cannot be got better elsewhere?

Regarding your logic against the Paleo Diet (trotting out the usual, 'they died early' lines, spouting ethics and nutritional deficiencies that don't exist) suffice to say I am not in love with your brain. I am no 'strict Paleo' guy but your offhand dismissal of it is pitiful.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i pray one day i will see a thread that says braless diet breadless diet was close it was close
  • wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i pray one day i will see a thread that says braless diet breadless diet was close it was close

Lol, this made me laugh.

To answer the OP though. I haven't cut bread out entirely I do still eat it occasionally, I can't say I've noticed any adverse effects like headaches but then I've been getting my carbs elsewhere, veg etc. I've never been a big fan of much bread anyway as I get bored with it I just think I can have a lot more things with the calories that are in a slice of bread.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It's risky to cut out a whole food group when you are trying to lose weight. If you just allow yourself a reasonable portion size and fill up with low cal fruits and veggies, then you can satisfy that craving without feeling miserable or guilty. And your body NEEDS CARBS! I hate the low carb. I did it. Then I looked at a potato wrong and gained all the weight back. Look at your default MFP graphs and I know that mine is 55% carbs. We need these quick burning calories to get through, but people just eat too much of them. In moderation is fine. I eat a baked potato almost every day and I'm not shy of a sandwich or pasta and I've lost 50 lbs in a little under four months. I know it will be a lasting change because I'm not eliminating anything from my diet FOREVER! It's better to lose a little more slowly and spend this time learning how to eat properly. Then it won't be such a challenge when we are doing maintenance for the rest of our lives :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Itd not really 'risky'. I dont eat bread, I follow a pretty much paleo diet, and it was easy for me to transition because with IBS bread was never my biggest fan.

I dont eat low carb (plenty of veg, fruit, sweet potatos and occasional white potato) and I have plenty of energy. You dont need to eat bread to get carbs, oats, brown rice, potatos are all good sources of carbs.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you get your vitamins that are invovled in the things you're cutting out of your diet with something else.
  • jackieatx
    Options
    <snip>
    3. As for people with gluten issues, they have to eliminate whole grains. Everyone else, however, does not, and by eliminating whole grains you miss out on some nutritional benefit:
    <snip>

What about the people who have not been diagnosed as gluten intolerant but still have grain issues that they may not even know about? Many people report improvements in conditions and health when they give the grains up even if they are not 'gluten intolerant'.

Regarding your logic against the Paleo Diet (trotting out the usual, 'they died early' lines, spouting ethics and nutritional deficiencies that don't exist) suffice to say I am not in love with your brain. I am no 'strict Paleo' guy but your offhand dismissal of it is pitiful.

I'm sure its just in their head or due to the fact that they are incorporating foods they wouldn't usually touch. For example, choosing a salad instead of a pastrami sandwich. There is no benefit to going gluten free if you do not have celiac disease or some form of gluten intolerance. Point in case:
    http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-gluten?page=2

Whole grains have a ton of iron, for example. Yeah, you could get this from eating a steak.. but many on a diet are not in the habit of eating steak every day.

As for paleo.. lol. A new diet fad comes up every so often. This too will pass.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    <snip>
    <snip>

I'm sure its just in their head or due to the fact that they are incorporating foods they wouldn't usually touch. For example, choosing a salad instead of a pastrami sandwich. There is no benefit to going gluten free if you do not have celiac disease or some form of gluten intolerance. Point in case:
    http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-gluten?page=2

Whole grains have a ton of iron, for example. Yeah, you could get this from eating a steak.. but many on a diet are not in the habit of eating steak every day.

As for paleo.. lol. A new diet fad comes up every so often. This too will pass.

Right. A lot of the fad diets are based on 10 percent truth and 90 percent confirmation bias.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating bread because it is hard to find bread that isn't made with some soy product in it and I have allergies to soy. Dave's Killer Bread is great because it is soy free and has lots of whole grains and seeds in it. I love it and it isn't high in calories or carbs like regular breads.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Read the book, Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD. It totally changed the way I look at bread and wheat products. I am one week wheat free and lost 5.2 this week. The only change was giving up wheat...I feel amazing!

Thank you! I'll check that out!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Give up the simple carbs, sugar, starches, grains, flour. Bread only makes you want more bread that makes you want more bread.... After three horrible days, you'll feel completely detached from wanting any starches. Then you just gotta eat protein.

^^ This!
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Check out the Paleo Diet. It will give you all the facts. You will be very surprised.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I have decided that I am going to not eat bread in my diet. Rolls, Sandwich bread, Toast. I am looking at the nutrition facts, and on the sandwich bread, I would be eating over 200 calories just in bread, and that is just for one Sandwich! I decide that unless I am eating at Subway, I will not be eating bread. Plus, I feel that there are many other ways to get fiber (regular wheat bread doen't really have anything good in it anyways). Instead, I am going to get fiber out of my Kashi cereal, and when on my cycling rides, I have a protein and fiber packed energy bar. Any opinions on this? Any alternatives?
    I also feel sandwich meat has too many additives in them. Any advice on that?

I agree with everything you're saying - this is the way I eat, and I love it. Deli meats are full of crap, and grains are empty calories. Veggies, lean (whole meat) proteins and fats are all you need.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I personally had great success cutting out wheat from my diet. I was diagnosed with IBS and for me the only somewhat relief is to cut out gluten and dairy (I am lactose intolerant).

One thing I noticed is that by cutting out bread and grain I have a LOT more room (calorically and physically) for more nutritious foods like vegetables and lean protein. I feel better than ever and my stomach problems have subsided.

It also gives you a great excuse to pass on the dinner rolls,croutons, snacky foods and other forms of empty calories.

Just be sure to include new forms of complex carbs in your diet like sweet potatoes and quinoa. Maybe brown rice, though that sometimes makes me feel bad (probably just a me thing though)

Goodluck!

Oh, and to answer your question *duh me* there are a lot of gluten free bars out there. ThinkThins aren't bad and fruit and nut bars are usually the way to go. As for the meat, just make your own fresh. It's so much better for you, and really easy if you just cook a bunch up in advance.