woman trying to bulk

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I want to try the whole bulk/cut thing and I was just looking for some advice from experienced bulk/cutters. Also wondering if there is any difference for women because I know it's harder for women to build muscle than it is for men so I don't know if this is a wasted effort or not. I just want more muscle definition but if I go skinnier than I am now I think I will just be too thin. So I was hoping building muscle and then losing the fat will get me the look I want.

Any women out there who have done this? What did you do and were you happy with the results?

A couple of days ago I set my diary goal to 2250 because my maintenance is around 2000. How high should I go? I also try to eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight.

ALSO. I am doing the stronglifts routine. I have heard that doing low reps like that (5) doesn't build muscle as well as doing higher reps (like 8-12) so should I be doing a different lifting routine? I'm a beginner, I've only been lifting for about a month and a half.

Replies

• BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    have you checked out the forums on bodybuilding.com? They have a lot of great resources and food/workout plans that might be helpful...I know the bulk routine is a science especially if you're thin and lose easily. From my time on those boards they may have some good advice for you!:smile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's more or less the same as for a guy. Just don't expect the same gains as a guy. I think starting at 250 over maintenance is decent, maybe up to 500 if you don't feel it's enough. You can probably gain .5-1lb a month of lean mass at the beginning. After the first year or so, maybe half that. Everyone is different of course.

5 reps will build strength and mass, but usually 8-12 is considered more of a pure muscle mass building range.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You might want to take a look at this routine over on BB.com:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

It's a simple, sensible routine using compound movements and I like the progressive loading/deloading built into it. The thread is looooong, but basically all the info you need is in the first post.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Bump... thanks guys
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Same questions here. Thanks all.