Not sure what to do........

Options
Since I have started working out my Son wants to join in with me. I am not sure if I should let him, ONLY because he may bulk up even more then he already is. He is naturally like this. he started getting muscle when he was around 5-6 he is now 9, will be 10 next year. he is VERY active, plays outside nearly everyday(not in sports) thinking about football....thinking about it.. So he gets "Exercise" but he wants to join me in lifting weights, doing push-ups...ect

So my question is: Should I let him work out with me anyway??

I know he will grow more muscle, but I would rather it be natural..since he looks like this already...LOL

7648263530_89ee56f033_z.jpg
222_7016 by Scorpia Sista, on Flickr

7606763000_4681d7d2c4_z.jpg
222_6741 by Scorpia Sista, on Flickr

7648266060_396f3becfb_z.jpg
222_7141 by Scorpia Sista, on Flickr

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Um... yeah, I see absolutely no problem with him working out with you. I really don't understand your concern. Exercise is good for anyone and everyone. You shouldn't worry about your 10 year old "bulking up", just be glad that he wants to be active, and consider it special quality time between you two. Go for it.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Um... yeah, I see absolutely no problem with him working out with you. I really don't understand your concern. Exercise is good for anyone and everyone. You shouldn't worry about your 10 year old "bulking up", just be glad that he wants to be active, and consider it special quality time between you two. Go for it.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

my "concern" are his muscles getting bigger, not by way of mother nature you get what I am saying??
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I was advised not to let my son lift heavy until he's a bit older (he's 14) because it can interfere with his growth plates?? or something.... but they said they if he's doing body weight stuff or lighter weights that it shouldn't be an issue.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Those are not big just well defined muscles. Exercise is good for him and you. I would feel lucky he is interested. :smile:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Here is a site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson38.htm.

I guess the key is proper supervision with equipment to avoid injury.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I was advised not to let my son lift heavy until he's a bit older (he's 14) because it can interfere with his growth plates?? or something.... but they said they if he's doing body weight stuff or lighter weights that it shouldn't be an issue.

Really??!

maybe I should talk to his doc and see what she says....the last thing I want to do is interfere with his natural growth....
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! I love it that you son wants to join you in the gym!

I understand that heavy lifting, power lifts, etc., can damage the growth plates at the bone ends, but you can prevent this by having a trainer at the gym guide both you and your son through a few workouts. You will have the peace of mind you seek and you and your son can enjoy a really healthy activity together. :)
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    personally i think what he's doing already is enough. He obviously looks healthy and msucular it's in his genetics. My son (about the same age) is lean and active but doesn't have the muscle (he has trouble doing one push up). Let kids develop how they develop (as long as their active and not morbidly obese) and they'll sort themselves out when they hit teenage years.
    my $0.02 worth.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Those are not big just well defined muscles. Exercise is good for him and you. I would feel lucky he is interested. :smile:

Well, they are "Big" when you compare him to other 8-9yr olds...lol but if not, then yes, well defined is better wording :-)
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I second the trip to the doctor first. I think the idea of him working out with you is fabulous, but kids have different needs with exercise and there are limitations based on growth as the above poster mentioned.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think bodyweight stuff like push-ups, pull-ups and crunches are all fine - but I wouldn't involve him in heavy lifting.

My brother trained as a gymnast and they did a lot of bodyweight training from a young age (he started gym at 7) - they were always encourage to strengthen their core, and discouraged from heavy weights until they hit about 17 or 18 and needed more strength for rings and pommel and stuff.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It is always a good idea to talk to his doctor first but I would also add that as long as he isn't lifting heavy and it's supervised, he is better off at the gym with you than trying to do things on his own with no supervision and hurting himself. He shouldn't do any thing that is putting a lot of pressure on his joints because they aren't developed yet. He doesn't need to be taking protine supplements or anything like that either but extra exersise is fine. It can also be a tool to help him get good grades (as in, grades slip and no gym).
  • Saragre
    Saragre Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a son who is the same way. He's always had well defined muscles. He's 12 now and has been working out with me when he wants to (about 1/2 the time) for about a year. I was told not to worry about it as long as he can do 15 reps with a weight with good form. He thinks it helps him to concentrate in school. Doesn't seem to have hurt him so far...
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Wonderful! I love it that you son wants to join you in the gym!

I understand that heavy lifting, power lifts, etc., can damage the growth plates at the bone ends, but you can prevent this by having a trainer at the gym guide both you and your son through a few workouts. You will have the peace of mind you seek and you and your son can enjoy a really healthy activity together. :)

See the thing is I work out at home. turned the spare bedroom into a workout room :-)
    have a weight bench, some free weights, and a treadmill.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Body weight resistance is fine. I wouldn't have him doing "overload" resistance because yes it can interfere with his natural growth.
    Push-ups, pullups, squats, etc. with body weight only is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You are clearly a great role model for him. Congratulations.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about weight lifting effects on growth, but it's good he's developing good habits early. :)
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Heck yeah!! GREAT bonding time. :) He looks very athletic, and if he enjoys it, now is the time to give him a boost for something he will do for life! :)
  • Pollenpath
    Options
    We got the same advice on our son as far as light weights (need to be able to do 12 reps) and bodyweight exercises. There are tons of pushup variations, etc to keep him busy. He won't gain big muscles - just like you and I won't, - until he hits puberty and gets a big testosterone push! Then he'll be proud of his muscles and his mom will be strong enough to keep up with him! :)

Ours is now 16 and ripped btw - wants the giant muscles so save pennies/dollars for the grocery bills to come!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My middle son jumps and plays so much his tummy at times has been very ripped. Children need to exercise. Natural exercise without weights is beneficial for him. Boys have a huge need for physical activity.