SAHM 10/12-10/18

lettuceb
lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Welcome! We are a group of Stay at Home Mom's that support and Motivate each other! Feel free to jump right in! We would love to hear from you.

Replies

• lettuceb
    Sorry everyone! I have been super busy the past week and didn't post much :grumble: Hopefully this will be a better week all around, exercise and not as busy but with my house of kids, who knows! I am hoping to at least get a walk/run in today some time :smile:

Everyone have a great day and remember: YOU CAN DO IT!!!:heart:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    understandable lettuceb! I hope everyone has a great week too! I over-induldged alittle bit on the wine saturday night, but I am right back on track!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    hi all! missed you!! :flowerforyou:

we got back late last night--and here i am. both reunions were so much fun! and i'm so proud of myself for sticking with mfp!! people who last saw me a few years back (or even a year ago) really noticed the wt loss--and i got lots of compliments. :happy: i know that sounds vain, but it was great for my ego! plus, i knew i was healthier.
    i did some stress eating, but i also just kept moving forward with better choices the next time. and i worked out most every day.
    aside from that, it was just plain fun! being w/family, seeing old friends, meeting new...just GREAT!

so i'm back and look forward to hearing from all of you!

my challenge: drink my water and start p90x this week. these first few days are about re-org the house, cleaning, unpacking etc.
    2 oldest are home for 3 more weeks so it will be a juggle.

:heart:
  • Hi everyone I am too a stay at home mom. I have a son, 3, and a daughter, 1, and I joined this program almost 2 weeks ago. I am looking on here for a group of people that are similar to me and have the same goals. I'm noticing that everyone else in my life is not on the same diet and exercise goal as me so its going to be really easy for me to just go with the flow, and I don't want to do that. You said everyone is welcome so here I am! I really like this site and its a real eye opener to see that what I was eating was really really bad for me. I wouldn't have realized it before this site so I am grateful for that. I look forward to meeting and connecting with other stay at home moms because I know myself well enough that if I don't have a connection I eventually drift back to the way things were, and like I said I don't want to do that. I was just wondering if we weigh in every monday or anything like that? Or do we just share whats going on in our lives at the moment? I really look forward to meeting many more of my kind! :) thanks for all the help in advance! billie
  • lettuceb
    Bilimina Welcome!!! :smile: We just kind of share what's going on in our lives and try to support each other! We do some mini challenges like trying to drink our water (I have a really hard time with this!) and just let you know that we understand the challenges you face being a mom and trying to take care of yourself too. We moms are notorious for putting ourselves last and many times that affects our health so we also try to lessen the guilt we feel when we do something like work out (without the kids!).

You are more than welcome to share your goals with us and we will be happy to cheer you on in your journey. On the other hand, you can share your challenges and setbacks and we will try to lift you up :flowerforyou:

Anyway, welcome and feel free to share about anything ( or complain!).
  • lettuceb
    Stacey-Welcome Back! We missed you! Glad to hear that the reunion was a success and that you enjoyed yourself. Your are not being vain, you should enjoy the compliments cuz you have worked hard to achieve the results.
  • lettuceb
    Nicole--- I hear ya on the wine!! Believe me, I needed a glass last night. The kids and hubby were driving me crazy!
  • staceyw37
    thanks lettuce! and welcome billie!
    we are a really great group of women, if i do say so myself. :tongue: i've been here 7months and have learned so many things. plus, it's easier for me to share my foibles here than on the BIG board.

i also lurk around other teams to check out their challenges. they give me ideas and inspiration.

well, i must admit it--i have picked up a cold after all. it started as allergies and asthma, and now today the voice is really gone and i have a low fever. took the advil, the flonase, and warm water. and now i'm going to shower and put on fresh jammies and a robe.
    fortunately, the kids are so happy to be back to playing with their own toys, they're getting along nicely. moments like these, i feel very blessed. :heart:

alright, time for me to rest. have a great day all! be good to yourself and aim HIGH!
  • Oh my goodness thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'm always scared to join in new places :( I just wanted to say thanks again and I do have a question! About every day since I've buckled down with this I have been doing at least 1 mile/day on my eliptical machine. Is this a good thing? Should I be taking a day to rest? I asked my husband and he said that its good to do something like that everyday, but thats coming from a man who has been fit all his life and has never gained more than 5 pounds (in the winter)! So I wanted the opinion of other women.

And one more thing! I live in Wisconsin and believe it or not its snowing!!! I don't remember it ever snowing this early, but I must say there is just something about the first snowfall. I know it won't stick around long, but it is just a beautiful feeling! Have a great day!
  • nicolee516
    Welcome back Staceyw37! I am glad to hear you had a great trip.

Welcome Bilimina! As for your exercise, do what is going to work for you that you will stick with long term. You may have to increase the intensity on certain days, just so your body doesnt get used to the same routine. Our bodies tend to get conditioned to doing certain things and need a refresher just like our minds! :happy: :happy: Snow!!! The rainy is season seems like it's starting here. Or so I am told, we just moved here!
  • lettuceb
    Bili---I agree with Nicole, as long as you are doing something but I would also try and do some kind of strength training....pushups (modified are fine), squats...lifting some cans of food even for curls. Strength training tends to boost your metabolism and therefore burn more calories over time. Also, how long does it take you to do 1 mile? try to get at least 20 mins but it is great that you are doing this and just stick to it!! You can do it :bigsmile:
  • staceyw37
    billie--good for you with that 1mi! amypr, who's not up on here today, does little increases with her trdmill walking. when you're ready, you can do that.
    here's my take on REST day. if you're doing cardio, you don't really need a rest day--unless you did TONS and your body just needs to recover. think of it this way, if you had a dog and you walked it every morning for an hour, that's just what you do. you don't "rest" from it. make sense?
    also, adding variety (in time--this is not a race to the finish line) will be good for your mind and body.

however, if/when you get into strength training, then REST days become important. your muscles need time to repair. also, it will be a good idea to do diff exercises and diff body parts to get the maximum effect.

i want to stress, however, that if you are just starting with mfp--don't too much at once. you can get burned out or even worse, discouraged and overwhelmed that it's all too complicated. it isn't, but you grow and learn in this journey. setting large overall picture goals and then setting smaller ones is a good strategy to help you succeed!

ok, i'm going to rest some more. have a great evening--and i'm so glad to "see" you all again!
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Good morning! Sorry, I have been super busy last week and this weekend and didn't get to post much. I didn't even log all my food each day either. Although, I am excited to report that I weighed in this morning and lost a pound from last week! I had hoped to lose more before now since we're going to DH's 20th H.S. reunion this Saturday. It's only about 2.5 hours from home, so it'll just be an overnight trip to MIL's.

Stacey - I'm glad you had a great time! It's good to have you back! Hope you're feeling better today. :flowerforyou:

Billie - Welcome! :flowerforyou: This is a group of caring, understanding ladies.

Well, I finally did it. Stacey & Lettuce. you may remember about a month or so ago when my truck broke down & DH dropped me off at work & I walked home. I said then that I would do that again some even with the truck working well, just for the exercise (& to just say I DID It! :smile: ) Well, this is supposed to be the only sunny day this week, so I got DH to drop me off at work, and I'm walking home!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!
  • staceyw37
    yay amy! for losing a pound and following thru on a promise to yourself!! :flowerforyou:

my fever seems to be gone, but i was super sleepy this am. i slept on the couch till 10:30 while the kids got their own breakfast and watched tv. and still no voice.

i'm making a quick lunch for them and then we're going to toys r us. my son is saying goodbye to his binky today (whether he fully comprehends this or not) and i'm getting him train tracks. he was so excited! i realized how much he wanted them when everywhere we went last week, he was enthralled with his cousins' train sets. i think it's about time he had his own.

and can i tell you--i think my kids have lots of toys/books/crafts/movies etc. more than enuf. and yet, we have hardly any compared to the people we were with in chgo! amazing!! and no, this dsn't mean i need to rush out and keep up with the joneses--just that i don't need to be quite so stingy in terms of getting my kids some quality toys that would get years of use. certainly not more barbies and still NO polly pockets, but an art easel (tabletop size?) and the train tracks would be worthwhile "investments." kwim?

anyway, it's so nice for me to have you girls to talk to, to discuss these other aspects of parenting. i hope you all have a great day!
    oh! any word from angiered--how they're recovering?? she's most definitely in my thoughts. :heart:
  • lettuceb
    Amy---Woo Hoo on the walking!! :happy: That is great, keep up the good work! And congratulations on the 1lb weight loss! Remember as long as it is going down and not up! :laugh:

Stacey---glad you are starting to feel a little better and about the toys....sometimes it seems like my kids have a lot and we give away a lot but I still have toys from when my 18yo was little (like little Tikes, Thomas the Tank and stuff like that) so yes, quality toys are worth it. Congrats on the little guy giving up his pacifier...my Niece used something like the tooth fairy where she had her girls tie it outside to a tree and the next morning it was gone and a present was there for them.

I did a 2mile walk/run (wk of C25K) yesterday and knee was doing so so. Today I made it to the gym for a quick 30 min strength workout.

And yes, you should always give your muscles a day of rest when strength training. That is very important.
  • jkreas
    jkreas Posts: 1
    OOPS, so I just posted this and completely forgot I wasn't signed in ....my husband was!! HAHA oh well this is Shera426 :tongue: I'll post some pictures of our hike in a bit...gotta go pick up my ds from school.

Hi everyone. I have been MIA for over a week so I wanted to post and keep myself on track since i've been gone. I haven't logged a darn thing or gotten on a scale but i'm hoping I didn't do to terrible. We drove down to visit grandparents and we had a great time. My mom drove back up with us to visit at our home for the rest of the week and she just left yesterday.

With everything being a little busy I never did my video but I got a killer hike in 2 days ago! Long story we went hiking with the kids on what was supposed to be about 2 miles. Well we got turned around a little hike ended up on about an 8-9 mile jaunt through the redwoods with kids. The signs posted were terrible and non of them the were very helpful. When it said 3 miles it really meant 3 miles to the next trail, then another XXX amount of miles back to the truck. AWFUL we were going to turn around but thought we only had another mle or so before we got back. Then got to the next sign and it was 4 miles to the truck or about 4-5 to go back the way we came.

The kids were amazing, our arms were so stiff and sore from carrying them ds is 5 and dd is 3. We got a cell signal somewhere but it dropped right away and it was getting dark. Thankfully we made it out about 6:40pm just 20 minutes before it got pitch black and we were so relieved when we saw the forest ranger pulling up. Even though our call was maybe 30 sec they atleast sent 20 people out to find us! they didn't know how many they were looking for but they knew a woman had called (my mom) and was out there and lost.

anyway, just wanted to share my story, :happy: we are so very thankful that we made it out before dark, thankful we have amazing kids that never complained , not to mention a great workout!! :bigsmile: Probably not the greatest idea to have a few beers after we got home but water just didnt' sound at all appealing LOL
  • Oh my goodness that is one heck of an adventure! Thankfully you got out! I hate being in the woods at dark time :(

I have a question. I'm on a guided calorie intake to lose one pound a week and so far I've only gone into negative numbers twice in the past 2.5 weeks, and only by less than 20 calories. Anyway, When I have extra calories left is it okay to not use them, or should I be using them trying to get as close to 0 or neutral as possible. Like today I have 100 calories left after dinner. And I didnt exercise today either. So should I not exercise and leave my day with 100 calories left. Or exercise tonight and have well over that left?
    Thanks for your help understanding this in advance :)
  • nicolee516
    Oh my goodness that is one heck of an adventure! Thankfully you got out! I hate being in the woods at dark time :(

I have a question. I'm on a guided calorie intake to lose one pound a week and so far I've only gone into negative numbers twice in the past 2.5 weeks, and only by less than 20 calories. Anyway, When I have extra calories left is it okay to not use them, or should I be using them trying to get as close to 0 or neutral as possible. Like today I have 100 calories left after dinner. And I didnt exercise today either. So should I not exercise and leave my day with 100 calories left. Or exercise tonight and have well over that left?
    Thanks for your help understanding this in advance :)

try to eat as close to the number as you can. If you exercise, definitely eat more. I try to eat within 100 calories of my daily goal. Trust me, my numbers are never perfect! You can look at my diary if you want!

Shera426-WOW! What an adventure! At least you ened up being safe and having a great time too. Not to mention the well deserved beers!:drinker: :tongue:
  • lettuceb
    Shera-omg what an adventure, glad you made it back safely....you can look back and laugh at this one day....and what a workout! You deserved those beers.

Bili- try to eat your cals. just like on Biggest Loser when people aren't dropping lbs. many times it is because they aren't eating enough. I need to track my food again! I have gotten off of doing that so you can call me out on that. :smile:
  • staceyw37
    yay shera that you made it out safe and sound. we don't hike, and i can only imagine the perseverance and patience it takes to do that--espec with little ones. :heart:

billie? was that you asking about cals?? in any case, are you using hrm for tracking exercise cals? i ask b/c without that, your cals burned can be way off and you can wind up consuming too many extra cals. my hrm is from reebok and it cost $30. i've been very happy with it!
    also, though you add in exer cals--it doesn't take into accnt the cals you would have burned just doing your regular thing. so, some people always leave 100 or so on the table, so to speak.

the other thing is, don't get too worried about the exact cals. it's a guideline--don't go too much over and not too much under and you'll be good.
    all these things are based on formulas and if you're not living in a lab hooked up to machines, they're good working #s but not perfect. does this make sense??

if you find that you are consistently a lot under your cals, try adding in nutrient dense foods earlier in the day--like almonds in your yogurt or oatmeal, a spoonful of pnut butt with your apple, hummus.

i hope that info is helpful.

and lettuce, i haven't logged my cals at all yet. i'm readjusting to meals back at home and my cold. and while i would like to exercise, i get winded too easily still. i know i should see the dr--but my pulmonologist is too slow (3hrs in the office last time) and i just don't want to make the time.

in the 5 yrs i've lived here, i've never bothered to get a regular internist. gee, stace, are you a grownup or what?? honestly, i wish we could just see the pediatrician for these minor ailments. :noway:

alright--i'm rambling. must sign off and drink some water. (boy got geo-trax today and is having such fun with it! he keeps asking for his binky but i just say it's bye bye--and he says ohhh-kayyy)

see you all in the am!!
This discussion has been closed.