Need some abdomen workouts

Options
I usually do cardio but when I'm lifting weights I try to go for a full body workout, but my abdomen always gets ignored for the most part. I'll do a few sets of sit ups, crunches and some leg raises but I'm sure there's more I could be doing. It just feels that everything else is getting stronger apart from this big lump!

Any recommendations? What should I be looking to do in my diet as well to help out?

Replies

• emmieloopy
    emmieloopy Posts: 13
    Options
    I would like to know this too!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Full barbell squats and deadlifts hit your core the hardest. You should already be doing these.

Lately I've been supplementing with dumbbell side bends (You can go really heavy on these, you'll be surprised) and good mornings.

I also like the simple ab wheel device. The farther you roll out, the more challenging it is.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Obviously you're already doing deads and squats

Hanging leg raises with no swinging and toes to bar are good. Barbell roll outs too.

Consider adding rotational exercises such as Russian twists or woodchops.

Stability/isometrics like planks wouldn't hurt if you still want more
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Welbert - Thanks for the advice! Yeah I'm doing squats and deadlifts, sidebends too - although I should maybe do them before shoulder presses to get more out of it? I get cramp in my trapezius quite quickly because of an injury when I was a kid, so I'll try and work on my stomach first and finish with arms shoulders instead of the other way around. I know a store nearby that's selling an ab wheel very cheap so I'll pop in on the way home.

IronSmasher - I took one look at Russian Twists and mentally smacked myself in the head. I've got a medicine ball that I've never thought about using for anything other than situps. Never tried planks before, so that's something else for me to check out. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Full barbell squats and deadlifts hit your core the hardest. You should already be doing these.

Lately I've been supplementing with dumbbell side bends (You can go really heavy on these, you'll be surprised) and good mornings.

I also like the simple ab wheel device. The farther you roll out, the more challenging it is.

Seems to be a common theme here that squats and deadlifts hit your core the hardest, they are relevant to good compound strength but sports science does not agree with the notion that they are the best exercises for the core and everyones favourite muscle the RECTUS ABDOMINUS.

Doing a hundred crunches - stop get a hex plate hold behind your head and do three sets of 15. Too easy, add more weight.

Leg Raises doing 30, stop - get some weight like a dumbell clamped between your calves and do 3 sets of 15 - too easy add more weight, safer way is a shopping bag with weight placed round your ankles.

Yes, as Iron smasher says - get rotation in there. Cable Wood Chops, Grave Diggers, Russian twists

Skydivers - skydivers with DB's, working the core in opposite directions of normal movement.

All fours balancing on a swiss ball, move to plank using two balls, move to supermans, move to kneeling etc. etc.

This builds strong core, the core needs to balance, stretch, be powerful, protect you from knocks.

Do the standing core test. Have someone knock you on the shoulder when your core is not engaged. Then engage your core and get them to knock you again. Then you start comprehending what exactly your core is doing.

It simply depresses me the lack of imagination and or knowledge about how the core can move forwards and backwards, side side, turn nearly 200 degrees and still then go side side and forwards and backwards. If you believe that squats and deadlifts addresses all those forms of movement then please go on believing that they are the best core exercises.

BTW - science wise - Captain's chair leg raises are the best abdominal exercise but turning them into windshield wipers are the ultimate.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
  • Whiskybelly
    Options
    Interesting article, and thanks for the info tachycardia. I think my biggest mistake was looking at abs as being too much about the centre.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Thanks for thanking and good luck.

You did mention diet, no special diet (just eat less than you need and exerise) for abs only that abs can only be seen as the 6 PACK when your bodyfat is 8% or less (some people as low as 3%). Doesn't stop you training the core though, you just may never see them unless you really want to hit that sort of body fat percentage.
  • Whiskybelly
    Options
    I don't really care about a six pack, so no worries.
  • Whiskybelly
    Options
    Happy to report that I added some rotation exercises to my abdominal workouts yesterday.

Unhappy to report that getting in and out of my chair at work today has become a workout in itself. Stretching it out though.

Thanks again, folks.
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights or anything at this point, but here is what I do...I don't really know a lot about fitness, but I do like this workout. Hopefully it is helping me out. I haven't really been loosing much weigh this last month, so I measured myself last week (I have been doing this routine for about 2 weeks now) so we will see if it is helping make me smaller at least if not lighter. 8-)

On this website I do 25 of the... (http://2012lastfatyear.blogspot.ca/2012_01_01_archive.html)
    -In and Outs
    -Bicycles
    -Crunchy Frogs
    -Scissor Kicks
    -Hip Butt Ups
    -Heels to Heavens
    -Kayakers

Then I also do
    -Crunches
    -Leg swings (sit on the edge of a chair with legs straight out and swing them up and down alternately)
    -Wall Squat (30-60 seconds)
    -Plank (I add 25 leg lifts while in this position) (http://weightloss.allwomenstalk.com/best-exercises-for-a-perfect-butt/18/)
    -Leg lifts (laying on your side, I do a set (25) lifting the top leg and then a set (25) lifting the bottom leg)
    -Push Ups (usually about 15) (I do them on the stairs for now until I get more strength to do the real ones, lol)
    -Burpees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCgoa7C01M&feature=related) Skip to about 3 minutes 40 seconds for an example
    -I jog up stairs (10 minutes)

I am doing the burpee challenge right now where you do 1 burpee on day 1, 2 on day 2, 3 on day 3, etc. If you skip a day you make them up the next day and you don't have to do them all at once, just have to get them all in each day. I am up to day 17 now! for the crunches I do 100 (2 sets of 30 one set of 40) and for the kayakers i do 150 (3 sets of 50) and I just stick those in between some of the leg exercises to give my legs a little break. This usually takes me (doing everything but the stairs, I do those on a break at work) about 20-25 minutes.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    That looks like a pretty good workout.

I personally would try to find ways of adding weight increase the rep quality with slow counts and decreasing the rep quantities for a shorter workout.

Add side oblique raises and again the workout lacks rotations, flexion and balance.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    me and my hubs do p90x ab ripper every t/th. it's awesome. just a 15 m video packed full of 11 core moves that rock!, i've been doing it for over a month and i already see results + i have yet to finish one full workout w/out resting - it's intense.

here are the workouts - you do them back to back, and you wouldn't need the video as long as you know what all the moves are; which i'm sure you can youtube or something...

AB RIPPER X:
    1) In and Outs:
    Sit down on the mat with your legs straight out in front of you. Lift them off the ground. The exercise is to pull them into your chest, and then to straighten them back out. One rep counts as the combination of the pulling in and the straightening out; it can also be done with your hands supporting or in the air. Legs straight, knees in. X25
    2) Bicycles:
    While in the same position start to move your legs in circles, like you are riding a bike. Do this for 25 seconds, then stop, and do the reverse. Can also be done with hands at the side or in the air. Like you’re riding a bike in mid-air. X25 FWD & REV
    3) Crunchy Frog:
    This is exactly the same as In and Outs with one major difference. Put your arms straight out to your sides (in the air), and every time you pull in, you also pull your arms around your knees. In and outs with an arm reach around. X25
    4) Cross Leg/ Wide Leg Sit-Ups:
    Two ways to do this one. The easier way is to sit down with your legs spread out wide. Next you put your right arm behind your head, and then lift up with your left arm pointing straight in the air. Once you are sitting straight up you touch your left arm to the opposite leg – note that it’s important to go straight up first and then over to touch the leg. That’s one rep; the second rep is the same thing but opposite arm. This can also be done with your legs crossed. Reach up and over. X25
    5) Fifer Scissors:
    Lie down with your legs straight. Lift both off the ground. Next lift your right leg as high as you can, keeping it straight. The exercise is switching the left and right leg positions; go back and forth with the right leg straight in the air, to the left leg straight in the air. Always keep both legs off the ground. Scissors in the air with both legs always off the ground. X25
    6) Hip Rock And Raise:
    Legs bent and feet together; have the knees pointing out from each other. During the exercise, always have the same distance between the knees. Rock backwards and then raise the hips to move upwards. This exercise is all about moving the hips up and down, while using the core to keep the position of your legs intact. Hips up, Hips Down. X25
    7) Pulse Ups:
    Same as number six, the difference being both legs are straight up in the air. Leave them in that position and just move the hips up and down, up and down. Each up and down counts as one rep. Straight legs, and moving hips. X25
    8) V-Up/Roll Up:
    Lie down with the legs straight. Do a sit-up and touch your toes. As you pull away from your toes roll up your legs; in other words as you sit back down raise your legs to the air. When you are about halfway sitting down (your arms always remain in the air) touch your toes again. Leave your hands in the air and bring your legs back down. Repeat. Each time you touch your toes counts as one rep. Sit up, and then sit up with legs in the air. X25 (SIT UP = 1, V UP = 2)
    9) Oblique V-Ups:
    On your side, with your legs at a forty-five degree angle. Arm at your side, and other arm behind your head. Bring legs towards chest, by getting all your weight on to your hips. 25 each side. Crunches on the side.
    10) Leg Climbs:
    One leg is straight up, the other one either half bent or straight in front. Many ways to do this, depends on how your feeling. Can either reach straight up and touch your toes, or you can grab the side of your leg once for support and then touch the toes. Do 14 on each leg. One leg straight in the air and reach up and touch it.
    11) Mason Twist:
    Sit up straight with the knees slightly bent. Bring your feet off the floor. Clutch your hands together in a fist. Then quickly touch each side of your body at a relatively fast pace. Touching both sides once counts as one rep. Do as many as you can. 40 / 50 AS A BONUS
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That looks like a pretty good workout.

I personally would try to find ways of adding weight increase the rep quality with slow counts and decreasing the rep quantities for a shorter workout.

Add side oblique raises and again the workout lacks rotations, flexion and balance.

Thanks!