Rainy Day Workout?

Options
Hello! I've had problems with planning bike rides, walks, and outdoor exercises before because of the crappy weather where I live. Rain comes at the most random times and always keeps me trapped inside. :sad:

Can anyone recommend some quick exercises that I can do indoor? I don't have any workout equipment besides the basic weighted balls, jump rope, and ankle weights. I have a large enough space in my house where I can stretch and move around freely.
Thanks!

Replies

• artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Get fitness videos, if you don't want to buy any your local library probably has some. Netflix also carries a bunch of them.
  • raccoon182
    raccoon182 Posts: 29
    Options
    Get fitness videos, if you don't want to buy any your local library probably has some. Netflix also carries a bunch of them.

Do you recommend any good ones? There are a couple at my house but they've never worked for me.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I just say 'screw you rain!' and run or bike anyways...feels nice I think :)
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do videos, strength or circuit training. Do you have somewhere to work out inside? Jumping rope is a great exercise and you don't need a lot of space.
  • raccoon182
    raccoon182 Posts: 29
    Options
    I do videos, strength or circuit training. Do you have somewhere to work out inside? Jumping rope is a great exercise and you don't need a lot of space.

I do have space, but there is a problem with privacy and a lot of family visiting randomly. I think I'll just jump rope throughout the day. Thank you. :smile:
  • mom2boys3
    mom2boys3 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos, but I find with videos, it is a personal preference, depending on taste, ability, etc. Good luck finding what works for you. It is sometimes just a matter of trial and error.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Skin is waterproof. get your *kitten* out there what ever the weather.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos, but I find with videos, it is a personal preference, depending on taste, ability, etc. Good luck finding what works for you. It is sometimes just a matter of trial and error.

^This

All I have at home is P90X, so I use that. I havent' actually followed the program yet but I'll pop in the Plyo or Kenpo videos if I need to get a workout in and it's too hot to run outside, which is often. I would LOVE to run in the rain at this point because that would mean it is actually raining for once.

I used to get a few workout videos from Netflix, I don't remember which ones now. Like the other poster said, it's all trial and error. Do you want dancing, yoga, high-impact cardio? It's up to you.
  • eventualrecovery
    Options
    Jogging in place, or around the house, or even just a long walk around your house. Maybe jump roping, too.
  • haley6251993
    Options
    look up some dance and yoga videos on youtube. Their great for rainy days. That's what I did today actually :)

Good luck!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Zumba videos on Youtube. Check out Dar, she's awesome!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of workout DVDs - but I'm losing weight and inches with Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred - so I have to recommend that one. I tried it because I found where a lot of people on the forums got results and it's worked for me so far.

If your just starting out - Chris Powell (from extremem makeover weight loss edition) had a more gentle dvd but it's really kind of basic. Otherwise - jogging around the house - going up and down stairs if you have them, jumping rope - anything to get your heart rate elevated.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just say 'screw you rain!' and run or bike anyways...feels nice I think :)

^^^ i so agree with this. This not being possible i say 10 minute trainer by Tony Horton or If you have kettlebells...there ya go :).
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely workout DVD's... the Jillian Michaels ones sre great. For many of the them you only need hand weights. Less than 10 bucks at Amazon or Walmart :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a downpour or thundering & lightening I go anyway.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I do have space, but there is a problem with privacy and a lot of family visiting randomly. I think I'll just jump rope throughout the day. Thank you. :smile:

You could try locking the doors -:smile:

***edit - my quote box didn't show up right - but I fixed it!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love to mountain bike in the rain. So refreshing! But you could jump rope, jumping jacks, burpees, jog in place, walking lunges, squats, push ups. Workout videos like Insanity and Turbofire are great also.
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Try the nerd fitness website for his body weight workouts, they just use what you have at home, and weights if you have them. I do the beginner circuit every other day and I really feel it.
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love biking in the rain.
  • pacagirl
    pacagirl Posts: 9
    Options
    Women's Health Magazine has some good - no equipment needed exersize routines on their site you can use to fill in on rainy days.... http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness