Heart rate monitor settings

Options
Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me with this. When doing Pilates, what would be the most accurate setting for your heart rate monitor? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard but I don't think it is basic, either.

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just started doing the Windsor Pilates DVD's a few weeks ago. I wore my heart rate monitor the first time and haven't worn it since. I don't get my heart rate up high enough during the Pilates for me to bother counting the calories burned. I normally just log it in under strength training.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I HAVE noticed that if I do my Malibu Pilates workout AFTER I get back from the gym that my heart rate stays pretty high. I've just started to doing the next workout in the DVD series. I REALLY work up a sweat with that one. I would just like to keep concise records for my exercising...
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That is awesome if you get your heart rate up. If your working up a sweat then I would put your burned calories in for sure. But I'm not sure what setting to set your heart rate monitor on for that. Sorry I wish I could have been more help.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I do not have a guide for my HRM....are you supposed to change settings based on the activities...if so what are they?
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on your age, current weight, and activity level. My HRM has settings for Hard exercising, Moderate, Light & Basic. When I know I'm going to be working out full on, I usually set it to High. Today I tried the setting at moderate for Pilates and I was able to get my heart rate up to that level. After my workout, I checked my results and it shows, for my age, current weight, etc., that I burned 421 calories and that I was in my zone for 37 minutes of my 45 minute workout.

What kind of HRM do you have? I have a Polar F6. Check the web for manuals and user guides. That's what I did just so that I could do quick searches on my computer instead of having to look through the entire book!