Frustration with Strength & Conditioning Class

Options
Gwen7121
Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
I'm extremely lucky because I can take a strength & conditioning class at work, three times a week. The trainer is a big believer in working the big muscles, so lots of squats, with variations on squats plus circuit training, etc. No real cardio there. All of us in the class need to lose weight. It's why we are there, for the most part. I took my measurements back in January. I've lost very little weight, and then noticed that my pants were actually feeling tighter. So I took them again. Each of my thighs have actually INCREASED by an inch and a half in size. I mentioned it to a couple of the other women, and they had noticed their pants being tighter in the legs, with very little weight loss as well. We mentioned it to the trainer and he's like - oh yeah. All my female clients do that in the first 6-8 weeks, then it comes off. We've been in this class for six months. It's not coming off.

I feel stronger. I ran up two flights of stairs yesterday, and that would have killed me a year ago. I can squat like nobody's business. :) (Hey. It's an accomplishment. If I dropped something before, I would have to go to my knees to get it, then brace myself to stand up.) But I'm in this to lose weight, not gain inches. My thighs have always been my biggest area of concern so that just makes it even worse for me personally. I'm wondering if I should switch the class out for cardio? I don't really want to because having the class creates an accountability that exercising alone doesn't have. They 'expect' me to show up. You know?

I'm following the calorie guidelines MFP gave. I don't follow any of the named diet plans, unless you count DASH (high blood pressure diet). Recently, I've been trying to increase my protein intake but haven't seen a scale change from that yet. (More energy though.)

Ideas? I still can't believe the trainer was so blase' about the whole 'all my female clients do that' comment. Really? Just got under my skin a bit.

Replies

• MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Are you getting any cardio in? I think adding in some time on an elliptical or treadmill or even just walking anywhere will help.

p.s. I happen to think what you're currently doing is fantastic and very needed.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    A new trainee to strength training will gain a bit of muscle size at first, but if you are eating a calorie deficit as you should be, the size gain will stall. Cardio is not needed for weight loss. It is a tool that will help create a caloric deficit, but you could get the same results body composition wise by simply eating less. Strength training on the other hand, and in particular heavy weight lifting which is what I suggest you move to eventually, will preserve muscle as you lose weight, increase your bone density, and of course make you stronger (until you stall due to calorie deficit).

The MFP suggested macro balance is crap for sure, and the calorie amount may not be great either. Formulate your macros by starting with a minimum of 1g\lb lean body mass protein, .45g\lb LBM fat, enough carbs for sanity and energy, enough "good" food and\or suppliments to get a good dose of MICROnutrients, and then any remaining cals can be filled with whatever you like.