Sabotage

Options
When I was married, many times my husband (now ex) would sabotage my efforts to lose weight. He'd come home with cookies or my favorite ice cream and claim to have forgotten that I was dieting.

Now I'm off-and-on seeing a guy who is constantly trying to de-rail my efforts. When I say I want to go for a walk, he'd rather stay home and watch movies. He says he doesn't have any good sneakers for walking. When I told him the doc said to take it easy on my workouts because of a strained shoulder, he said, "Yay! Now we can go have burgers!" He's somewhat insecure, and I can't help but wonder if he wants to keep me chubby so no one else will want me.

Does anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I dealt with this a little with my ex-husband. What I've found is that you have to reach the point where you say, "I'm doing this for me." If he doesn't want to go out for a walk, go on your own. If we wants to eat junk, let him and you continue to eat healthy. I know it's not easy, because we women especially like to please our partners, but you need to get to that point within yourself to have the confidence to do it for you. If he gets his feelings hurt over it, so be it. If he leaves over you trying to make yourself a better, healthier person, he didn't deserve you in the first place.
  • Mpowered1
    Mpowered1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely don't miss my walks just because he doesn't want to, lol. He did seem surprised the other day when I said I'd call him after my walk (he had said he didn't want to go). I guess he was assuming or hoping I'd forego it for snuggle time. Nope, I've worked too hard to get where I am (mentally and physically). I'm totally doing this for me.