Low Carbers - what do you eat for lunch?

Options
Hi everyone :)

I'm having trouble coming up with new ideas on what i can eat for my lunch. As a low carber, i cannot just grab a sandwich or a wrap or something and have fallen off the wagon because I just cant be bothered to always be cooking something for lunch which takes a long time. It means that I dont get to sit down with my daughter and eat lunch because i make her sandwich first and then by the time my lunch is ready, she's finished and wants to go and play.

Any ideas for a speedy lunch would be great. Thank you!

Replies

• 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    huge chicken salad with lots of fattening ranch dressing
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm only going for 40% but bread and tortillas kill me because I like fruit.

I have been taking my cue from raw food folks and wrapping my lunches in greens - kale or kohlrabi leaves or any other big flat leaf.

Yesterday I had egg salad and mung bean sprouts wrapped in kohlrabi leaves. It was actually really good.

I also make (for dinner) steamed chicken rolls in cabbage leaves with a dipping sauce. My kids love it.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Meat and cheese for me. KFC had a funky idea a few years ago that was a sandwhich made by cramming bacon and cheese between two chicken breasts. Something similar should not be too hard to come up with.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    They sell some low carb wraps you could buy and put in chicken or tuna salad.. thats always a good item..
  • TheyCallMeTaterSalad
    Options
    Tuna Salad, BLT Salad, Unwiches (sandwich w/some form of lettuce used in place of bread), Veggie tray w/ranch dressing.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, i could go for the wraps with the leafs, I suppose. I guess i will just have to be more organised and start cooking some chicken the night before when i'm cooking my dinner so that i can have it cold the next day for lunch.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Not a low carber but i have ideas :)

Tuna, chicken, Or egg salad in a low carb wrap

Low carb grilled cheese with grilled chicken or steal inside

Broccoli cheese soup --homemade w/cream, cheese, and broccoli

Greek yogurt with nuts and flaxseeds mixed in

Leftover meat from dinner on salad greens with cheese on top and olive oil/vinegar dressing

Well that's all I've got :)
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I eat either a ceasar salad with just romaine, ceasar dressing, sunflower seeds, cheedar cheese and blue cheese crumbles...yum. It takes abut 3 mins to make and its simple and filling adn plenty of fat!

Or somedays I have celery with Fiesta Ranch Dip made with Sour Cream, and a piece of mozz string cheese, and a cheddar cheese stick. Both around approx 300 calories, under 5 g carb.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A big salad with tuna on it. Cottage cheese with fruit. Beef Jerky. An omelette.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, i could go for the wraps with the leafs, I suppose. I guess i will just have to be more organised and start cooking some chicken the night before when i'm cooking my dinner so that i can have it cold the next day for lunch.

Gems lettuce would be ideal, I've made them before they're really nice.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Salad, salad, salad! http://saladpride.blogspot.co.uk/ try this for ideas :)
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i get these smoked salmon pinwheels from whole foods that are pretty amazing. they're good for like a side.

have you tried making oopsie bread? it's great low-carb bread replacement and it only takes 3 ingredients (4 or 5 depending if you add salt or a sweetener or both). anyway that bread will keep for days... then you can have yourself a delicious sandwich.

leftover dinner from the night before works well too ;)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Leftovers!

Today I had a bowl of lamb tagine (but without the couscous).
    I often have salads with egg, chicken, ham, cottage cheese
    At the weekends I usually make a big pot of soup or stew out of whatever is aging in the fridge, and I freeze that in single serve portions.
    Quinoa pilaff.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of spinach leaves, and add either shrimp or chicken (I cook a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week and bag them) with tomatoes, squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. Takes me about 10 min to put together, would be even less time if I chopped the chicken and veggies ahead of time and pulled the tails of the shrimp first. If I didn't get a chance to cook chicken or buy shrimp I usually have a can of tuna mixed with either miracle whip or buffalo sauce. Sometimes I'll cook a bunch of turkey burgers at once and eat them without the bun. I don't avoid bread because I'm avoiding carbs- just too damn many calories, not worth it to me.

Oh, sometimes I go to Chipolte and get their chicken burrito bowl- just don't get the rice or corn added and that's fairly low carb.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh, sometimes I go to Chipolte and get their chicken burrito bowl- just don't get the rice or corn added and that's fairly low carb.

this.

chipotle is a wonderful, wonderful place! lol however i don't get beans either. lots of carbs in there--at least for my daily limit. i had myself a chicken burrito bowl with guac, cheese, salsa and fajita veggies and i was full a good 3/4 of the way in. it's kind of calorie-loaded but it keeps you pretty dang full.
  • yummymummy52
    yummymummy52 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Omelette, salad with either chicken, ham, tuna or boiled egg or sometimes a little low fat cheese, weight watchers crackers with topping, soup (although maybe not in the hot weather).

I always find lunch the hardest as am usually either trying to have it on the go or around our little boys lunchtime.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I am at home, I try to have a rotisserie chicken and maybe shred cheese over it. Or chicken salad. You could do tuna salad as well (I don't eat tuna....)

If I am at work, I like Chipotle and will get 1/2 black beans, 1/2 pinto beans, fajita veggies, chicken/steak, cheese, a tab of sour cream and hot sauce. Or I go to Chick-Fil-A and get their grilled nuggets and dip them in buffalo sauce or ranch.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    left overs, tuna on butter lettuce leafs, steak, chicken, salad, eggs....anything I'd eat for dinner just at noon!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    pastrami, stuffed tomatoes/peppers, BLT salad, eggs, steak, grilled veggies and a protein.
  • haylee1981
    haylee1981 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started low carb today and tried to research before hand on foods but didn't seem to have much joy apart from the obvious. My problem is that I eat chicken and salad every night for tea so struggle at lunch times. I've just been having celery and peanut butter with a handful of nuts. Really need some new idea's that are quick and easy as I have a toddler to chase round.