Moving Into First Apartment! HELP!

Options
KarmaxKitty
KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
Finally moving into my first apartment! Even though I won't be paying the rent, I'm still buying the majority of the stuff for the interior. I already bought plates, mugs, bowls, a water pitcher, and I have bath mats.

I know, it's not a lot, but I just started! I have about two weeks left.

My question is, what other things should one buy for an apartment? I know a lot of things will be obvious. I do have a list, but I think hearing from people would help me make sure my list is right! :blushing:

Replies

• pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Purchase tenant insurance that was number one on my daughter's list, protect what you have from fire, theft, etc. Enjoy your new home.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    a pitbull
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    How about the other stuff that goes with that stuff-eg silverware and towells? Cooking utensils/pots/pans etc. Depending on how you do with cooking and such an indoor grill (george foreman type) is nice.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Dude you don't have to pay rent?!

W-T-F.

Regardless of what you do you'll be fine without the largest monthly payment for housing out of the way. You lucky turd.
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What about furniture? LOL I know that's a given.

A Garbage can(s), cleaning supplies, vaccuum.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You need the loudest surround sound possible. I think that's the advice one of my old neighbors was given...
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    kitchen utensils, cups, bowls, pots and pans, dish soap, cleaning supplies, mop, broom, dust pan, garbage cans for your bathroom and kitchen...and some candles to make it smell nice :)
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A microwave, toilet paper, couch, and cooking/ eating utensils, garbage can, basic cleaning supplies (all purpose cleaner, soap, etc)!

Edit: Also, a plunger...just in case.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Kitchen-pots, pans, cooking utensils (spatula,large spoons etc), eating utensils,ice cube tray, dishes, cups, measuring stuff, baking sheet, casserole dish, toaster, microwave,
    Bathroom- towels, bathmat, any toiletries you don't already have
    Living room-shelves for DVDs and books, couch/chairs, coffee table, entertainment center/table for tv, lamps, end tables
    Odds are you have whatever you need for your bedroom

I don't know if you have a Dollar Tree near you but they have dishes, cups, mugs, cooking utensils etc for a dollar each.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Woah, this is all really helpful! I didn't even think about the majority of these things! And no, no rent. My parents are being really kind. Never let it be said that I am an ungrateful daughter!:smooched: However, as soon as I screw up in school, I pay for everything.

So I'm doing my part and using my summer job to pay for most of my own things. By most, I mean the majority. We'ew sharing the cost of bigger items. Good idea on the plunger! I used to live with six people, so EVERYTHING bathroom related, I have so much respect for now! :laugh:

And if they allowed pets, a pitbull would be awesome! They're so cuddly! For now, I'm planning on getting a beta fish. And an herb garden. :glasses:
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Trash bags for all those garbage cans :) and I know it's tempting to get the cheapy $ tree ones, but don't. Get the good ones. I like who ever makes the gripper ones. Trust me you don't want to be picking up trash off the floor where your bag broke. And having the bag fall into the can everytime you put stuff in sucks too. If you have a dish washer don't forget machine detergent. You can't put dish soap in the machine. It makes a huge mess... A dish drainer for smaller jobs is also nice. A mop bucket. Idk if anyone mentioned a toaster, but the toaster oven was a great invention.

LOL! I came up with a lot more than I thought...
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    When I move into my first apartment I'm raiding the dollar store.
    I'm just so classy, but in all honesty the dollar stores near me have amazing stuff. Especially for plates,cup, utensils, towels.... break it oh well it was only a $1.25 :D
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Trash bags for all those garbage cans :) and I know it's tempting to get the cheapy $ tree ones, but don't. Get the good ones. I like who ever makes the gripper ones. Trust me you don't want to be picking up trash off the floor where your bag broke. And having the bag fall into the can everytime you put stuff in sucks too. If you have a dish washer don't forget machine detergent. You can't put dish soap in the machine. It makes a huge mess... A dish drainer for smaller jobs is also nice. A mop bucket. Idk if anyone mentioned a toaster, but the toaster oven was a great invention.

LOL! I came up with a lot more than I thought...

Dishwashing tablets! I forgot to make my other list of "things you will need AFTER move in"! Thank you for reminding me! It's on the list with TP, toothpaste, etc...
    When I move into my first apartment I'm raiding the dollar store.
    I'm just so classy, but in all honesty the dollar stores near me have amazing stuff. Especially for plates,cup, utensils, towels.... break it oh well it was only a $1.25 :D

It's not just classy, it's smart. XD