Coffee Question

Options
Kamnikar64
Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
I love coffee and have switched to decaf (not as good). It took a lot of coffee to find an acceptable decaf that was worthy of drinking. My questions is since I drink my coffee black can I count it as water?

Replies

• dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body counts it as water.
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes but make sure you drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee. Your body needs the water to flush the fat.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I love coffee and have switched to decaf (not as good). It took a lot of coffee to find an acceptable decaf that was worthy of drinking. My questions is since I drink my coffee black can I count it as water?

Yes, especially because it's decaf, but also yes even if it weren't. People drastically over-estimate the diuretic effect of caffeine.
  • Kamnikar64
    Options
    I felt funny asking the question, but I can drink a lot of coffee. Thanks for the answers.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Yes but make sure you drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee. Your body needs the water to flush the fat.

Sorry, I don't understand this... what fat? And basically, what you're really saying is 'no', since she has to compensate for every cup of coffee with another glass of water. So doesn't that mean that no, you can't count coffee toward your water intake?

I guess I'm saying I disagree with you.
  • Kamnikar64
    Options
    I figured she meant I shouldn't drink 8 cups of coffe and count my water as done for the day. But rather, 5 cups of coffee and then 5 cups of water. I can do that.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I figured she meant I shouldn't drink 8 cups of coffe and count my water as done for the day. But rather, 5 cups of coffee and then 5 cups of water. I can do that.

You can but don't need to. The 8 cups of coffee will be sufficient for hyration purposes
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

That could be, that sounds fine.

Something else to consider is that recent research has thrown a lot of doubt on the old '8 glasses of water a day' rule. Basically, it says that you should drink when you're thirsty, and if you're not, then don't just go drinking water on principle because you cognitively think you need more. The idea is that the body's thirst mechanism is very accurate and very responsive (unlike the body's hunger/satiety mechanisms, which are slow and dumb). Basically, if you feel thirsty, you probably are. If you aren't thirsty, you aren't. And yes, you can definitely drink too much water, same as you can not drink enough.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

water doesn't "flush fat".

but yes, you should drink more water