How fast do women put on muscle?

Options
I am going to start doing weights with my Jillian Michaels exercise videos but have a couple questions.

1. How long does it take a woman to put on one pound of muscle?
2. How long after strength training or how much muscle do you need to gain, for the new muscle to speed up your metabolism and start burning more fat faster?

Aslo- will 5 and 8 pound weights be enough to to tighten everything up?

Thanks for the help!:wink:

Replies

• chrisrollins1
    Options
    You asked short questions with a significant lack of detail, so I'm going to give you short answers:

1. There is no way to answer that question accurately.

2. There is no way to answer that question accurately.

3. No.

All of this depends WHOLLY on diet, intensity level, amount of weight and reps lifted, your own genetic makeup and hormonal patterns and about a dozen other things. However, I can assure you that you will never put any significant amount of stress on your muscles (except maybe your side delts for the first week) with only 5 and 8 lb weights.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    From all I've read:

Probably 12 pounds a year for the first year, if eating at a *solid calorie surplus* and training -very hard.- (read: squats and deads, Bench and row. Press and cleans.)

Then maybe 6 pounds the next year.
    Then less, and less, and less as time goes on.

6-8lb weights are pretty much only good for holding paper down. You need to start moving 100+lbs using compound, multi-joint exercises if you want maximal gains.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options

2. How long after strength training or how much muscle do you need to gain, for the new muscle to speed up your metabolism and start burning more fat faster?

1. It's going to be impossible to give you an exact duration due to the many..many variables. It really hinges on your endocrine system, namely hormonal production and your current blood work values...along with all the basic measurements. However if I was going to venture a hypothesis...I'd say at max 1.2-1.5lbs of muscle per month...an average of about .5-=.75 per month.

2. That's going to come in time as a result of body re-composition...Once you've added at least 10lbs of lbm or dropped a significant percentage of BF (depending on where your at now) you'll be able to up your calories a little bit to compensate for the extra lean mass your carrying around. Your actions/inaction will greatly effect the efficiency of your metabolism.

3. Probably not..Unless you're profoundly frail.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    1.) if you are losing weight, and on a deficit you wont put on any new muscle, just make the muscle you have a little bigger, and stronger. It is said that pro women lifters who have ideal situations can put on a lb a month, but that is following a strict diet, and exercise plan.

2.) I don't know if there is a way to know this, but in reality the amount it speeds up your metabolism isn't really that much.

3.) To tighten everything you up, you need to go big or go home, and no this wont make you bulky.

So Doing weights with Jillian wont really do that much more for you excepty make you burn more calories at the time, and if you lose enough fat make you look ripped. You would need to get in a gym with a real training program to see any real results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Doing the Jillian michaels videos you will most likely not add any muscle mass, as the type of lifting is for endurance, not strength or Hypertrophy (muscle building). You may gain a very small amount (couple of pounds) at first as you are new to strength training but that will go away quickly. Not to mention it is next to impossible to build muscle while in a caloric deficit (losing weight)

As for your second question, you need a lot of extra lean muscle to really make a difference in your BMR and metabolism. 20-30 lbs would probably make quite a difference, but 3-5lbs, not so much.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to put on muscle weight for over a month now eating between 2,000-2,200 calories a day. I have gained a pound and I lift heavy not 5-8lbs. I don't know if it's just water weight but getting lean muscle takes time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

1. It's going to be impossible to give you an exact duration due to the many..many variables. It really hinges on your endocrine system, namely hormonal production and your current blood work values...along with all the basic measurements. However if I was going to venture a hypothesis...I'd say at max 1.2-1.5lbs of muscle per month...an average of about .5-=.75 per month.

2. That's going to come in time as a result of body re-composition...Once you've added at least 10lbs of lbm or dropped a significant percentage of BF (depending on where your at now) you'll be able to up your calories a little bit to compensate for the extra lean mass your carrying around. Your actions/inaction will greatly effect the efficiency of your metabolism.

3. Probably not..Unless you're profoundly frail.

Your #1 would also assume a caloric surplus, without the surplus you may just stop the loss of your current lean muscle or at least reduce the amount you lose while in a deficit.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Plan on buying heavier dumbbells soon after you start. You will find that 5-8 pounds will stop being a challenge and if you can do 15 reps easily, you need to increase your weights. If you want to plan or purchase dumbbells now, I'd say get them up to 25# for now. i.e. I curl 20#, triceps 12-15# and do back flies/lawnmowers at 25# (soon to increase).

Everyone is different when it comes to metabolism kicking in once you start lifting. I wish it was a set time/number. Point is just get started and be patient and everything will come together for you. Women don't bulk up unless they do it on purpose with nutrition and hard core workouts.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    5-8 pound dumbells are perfect for starting Jillian Michaels workouts. You may not bulk up for a body building competition, but you will certainly add defitition and get nice and firm. As you progress through her worlouts you can always add more weights.

Good luck!
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    It honestly doesn't matter how much weight you use, technically you can tighten EVERYTHING up just by using your own body weight! If you're looking to be tight and lean then you want low weight high reps :))
    If it's bulk you're looking for then you want high weight low reps.

Add me if you want, I'm here for support and to answer any questions you have!
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    You asked short questions with a significant lack of detail, so I'm going to give you short answers:

1. There is no way to answer that question accurately.

2. There is no way to answer that question accurately.

3. No.

All of this depends WHOLLY on diet, intensity level, amount of weight and reps lifted, your own genetic makeup and hormonal patterns and about a dozen other things. However, I can assure you that you will never put any significant amount of stress on your muscles (except maybe your side delts for the first week) with only 5 and 8 lb weights.

YES YES YES and YES. Listen to this person.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Bulking myths just won't die.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I just started doing toning exercises this year, such as 30 DS. . I saw progress after a week and several months later, I can tell drastically how my body has changed. I have more toned arms, legs, chest and less flabby fat. I do a bit less cardio but the change in my body is amazing! Same size, same weight, just looks better!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have 6 JM DVDs. I've been doing two levels a day (about an hour), 6 days a week since April. My calves are fantastic. They are much more defined. I have a brand-new hard bulgy spot on the backs of my lower thighs. My thighs are smaller and I can feel more muscle under the (shrinking) layer of fat. The pudge around my middle is moving. Instead of an all-around spare tire I now have love handles and a bit in the middle. The space between each handle and the middle is concave (!!!) and the bits above and below the middle are hard and flat. There's even a line going all the way down the center. My upper arms are much firmer when relaxed and I have a noticeable bicep when I flex.
    I'm netting around 1200 calories a day. I make sure to get plenty of protein and fiber. I drink tea and water throughout the day. I am getting stronger. My muscles can do things they couldn't do in April. I'm doing real push-ups now. I can go all the way down in squats and do the entire set. I've also lost 12 pounds.
    There are plenty of people who will say I'm doing it wrong. But really, my muscles are bigger and my belly is smaller. I'd say I'm doing just fine.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Wow - umm ok.... I don't have access to a gym nor do I have the money to get 100+ lbs in weights.... Do the weights have to be that high? I'm at 23.5% BF so I was trying mostly just help get the last of the fat off by introducing strength training instead of doing primarily cardio....
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have 6 JM DVDs. I've been doing two levels a day (about an hour), 6 days a week since April. My calves are fantastic. They are much more defined. I have a brand-new hard bulgy spot on the backs of my lower thighs. My thighs are smaller and I can feel more muscle under the (shrinking) layer of fat. The pudge around my middle is moving. Instead of an all-around spare tire I now have love handles and a bit in the middle. The space between each handle and the middle is concave (!!!) and the bits above and below the middle are hard and flat. There's even a line going all the way down the center. My upper arms are much firmer when relaxed and I have a noticeable bicep when I flex.
    I'm netting around 1200 calories a day. I make sure to get plenty of protein and fiber. I drink tea and water throughout the day. I am getting stronger. My muscles can do things they couldn't do in April. I'm doing real push-ups now. I can go all the way down in squats and do the entire set. I've also lost 12 pounds.
    There are plenty of people who will say I'm doing it wrong. But really, my muscles are bigger and my belly is smaller. I'd say I'm doing just fine.

AWESOME! Thatnk you!! This is what I am wanting to do- rotate her dvds for a total body workout but changing up the workouts so my body doesn't plateau! What dvds do you have and what order do you do them in?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

6-8lb weights are pretty much only good for holding paper down. You need to start moving 100+lbs using compound, multi-joint exercises if you want maximal gains.

Don't "start" lifting 100lbs - you probably need to build up to it. Try somewhere between 10 - 20lbs and work out what is heavy for you by increasing from there.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No one can really tell you what weight you should be lifting, but for hypertrophy the weight should be such that you can do between 8 and 12 reps where you fail and physically cannot move the weight after your last rep.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Wow - umm ok.... I don't have access to a gym nor do I have the money to get 100+ lbs in weights.... Do the weights have to be that high? I'm at 23.5% BF so I was trying mostly just help get the last of the fat off by introducing strength training instead of doing primarily cardio....

Do the weights have to be that high? Absolutely not. You can get lean and toned with lighter weights. You just have to do higher reps.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    For maximal muscle development, yes.
    You can still be thin, "toned" and look great. You just won't maximize your muscle development.