Food Saver

Kimakazie
Kimakazie Posts: 11 Member
I have a coworker that received a Food Saver vacuum system as a wedding gift and he can't return it without the receipt. He already got one so he is wanting to sell it really cheap to get it out of their living room. I'm contemplating buying it but wanted to see if anyone out there uses their and find it useful. I live by myself so I thought it might help me to save food that I can't eat quick enough. Any thoughts?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I've got one and love it though I don't use it daily. We are a family of two but buy big packs of chicken and the like. If I know a meat will be frozen for months and months on end, I seal it up in the Food Saver. I also take home grown veg in the summer and Food Saver it and it lasts infinitely longer than any wrap or foil you can buy. I have had things in the freezer for over a year and not a hint of freezer burn, so it certainly does work and it works well. You can also use it to reseal bags, like the kind chips or other snacks come in...I keep ground decaf coffee in a sealed bag since we don't drink it, only guests. That way I have it on hand and it is always fresh.

So, bottom line is it is a great item and works fantastically well, so long as you see a need to store things for long periods.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    I live alone as well, and I love my food saver. I've had it for years, and I use it often. Not only does it make your frozen food last longer sans freezer burn, the packages take up a lot less space than little tupperwares.

I always write down on the bag with permanent marker my item name, servings in the package, etc so that even if I take it out in 6 months to heat up (just drop the bag in a pot of boiling water for a quick meal) I still know what I am eating, and how to track it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I use mine to repackage meat that I purchase on sale into smaller servings. Like the other posters said, it's great for long-term freezing and preventing freezer burn. I don't use it every day, but I use it often enough to consider it valuable.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    What I use mine for most is sealing Mason jars of things like brown sugar and grains. There is an attachment you buy to do this. It's good to keep bugs and moisture out of your dry goods. I use the bags, too, but not as much. The difference in frozen meats and cheeses is kind of amazing, though.
  • Kimakazie
    Kimakazie Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for all the info! Sounds like something I'd use a lot!