Bored with Breakfast...

Options
13»

Replies

• kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Thomas' makes an awesome 100 calorie, high fiber English muffin. Add egg (or egg beaters), turkey sausage (or Canadian bacon), and a slice of cheese…mmm, good stuff.
  • cswalker21
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fresh berries for me! Lots of diferent flavors and combinations.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of cereals out there that are whole grain and not too high in calories. I like frosted mini wheats (a bit higher in sugar, but lots of fiber too, so it seems to balance for me), wheat chex with banana, bran flakes with any kind of berry (= better than raisin bran), and cheerios with strawberries. I also love instant cream of wheat with 2/3 c milk at 1/2 Tb pure maple syrup or a bit of sugar and cinnamon. The key for me is to get whole grains, I feel fuller, get more fiber, and am satisfied longer. Skim milk also helps cut out extra calories. I get plenty of fat elsewhere.

I also like to do scrambled eggs with salsa in a whole wheat tortilla.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own breakfast sandwiches wrap them and freeze them for busy mornings. Toasted Whole wheat English muffin. Bake eggs by cracking them and putting each egg in a muffin tin cup which makes them the perfect shape. Then either a slice or 2 of canadian bacon or a thin slice of my favorite cheese.

I do this too but I also slice the yolk and put some cracked pepper on before baking them in jumbo muffin tins. I use morningstar sausage patties, turkey sausage patties or turkey bacon on mine as well as a slice of the "super thin" prepackaged deli cheese.

Have you tried steel cut oats? I can't handle the texture of oatmeal but LOVE steel cut oats and you can make them on Sundays then portion out for the week.

My standby is a light english muffin with almond butter and a little honey. Could also use peanut butter or PB2
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I really got tired of breakfast. Like REALLY. So I started eating hummus and pita bread with some olives and sun-dried tomatoes, topped off with some figs. Now, breakfast is what I look forward to and savor the most. So, think outside the breakfast box.

Wow! This sounds amazing!

It is! Switching from sweet to savory really changed my morning. I was eating cereal with fruit and I can't even think of going back to that!
  • colawoman
    colawoman Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter toast made with whole wheat Arnold's sandwich thins!! Also, have you ever tried plain old fashioned oatmeal with a little dribble of olive oil? It's grrrrreat!!
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    These are low-carb pancakes, it takes about 10 minutes to make. If you want to save some calories use 1/3 less fat cream cheese and you'll be at around 280 calories.

You need:

2 oz- cream cheese (reg or low fat)
    2 large eggs
    1 packet of artificial sweetener

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

I top them off with 1/2 a tbsp of unsalted butter and 2 tbsp sugar free syrup.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Pretend they are not breakfasts. They're just like putting gas in the car so you can get where you need to go.

Whey Protein, vitamins, a little fruit, and a couple of ounces of turkey breast. You will forget Cheerios even exist after a week.
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    You dont have to have breakfast food for breakfast Any well balanced meal will do even if it is dinner left overs. However you can still try these recipes and replace the white flour with whole wheat If you do it that way you will need to add about half a cup of water and an egg white both are very yummy and you will most likely end up with more servings than it suggest

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fluffy-pancakes-2/detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/basic-crepes/detail.aspx

You could also start trying new fruits and have one serving of the fruit with two hard boiled eggs.
    You can also make breakfast wraps with whole wheat tortillas scrambled eggs with anything like black beans, tomatoes, corn, and even broccoli

and even muffins are a good idea along with quiches http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/recipes/mini-wonton-quiches

here are some more recipes and ideas

http://under400.tumblr.com/tagged/breakfast

I also really like to make black bean omelets With 3 egg whites, tomatoes and of course a quarter cup of cooked black beans one whole omelet made is about 170-180 cals

If your on the go you could have a protein bar and fruit I love Pure protein protein bars they really do taste great and are the best bars i could find so far decent price and a good calorie to protein ratio

Then there are breakfast smoothies that you could make with both fruits and vegetables here are some ideas

http://www.smoothieweb.com/category/breakfast-smoothie-recipes/

The list of things that you can have for breakfast goes on and on you just have to think outside the box and start exploring another interesting thing to do is pick a country and Google a typical breakfast there Have fun with it :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Yogurt
    Soy sausage "mcmuffin"
    turkey and egg white omelet
    fresh fruit
    peanut butter and jelly
    oatmeal pancakes

All of these are great suggestions. Greek Yogurt (if you like yogurt) is great for you.

Also, my fiancee loves breakfast sandwiches. So sometimes I'll do a slice of whole wheat toast with an egg (usually poached), a slice of ham or you can do turkey bacon or veggie sausage, a slice of cheese and some tomato and/or avacado slices. He loves it! Cut up 1/2 of a small potato and scramble it with your eggs-also good with hominy. Grits is good-add a poached egg and you have your carbs and protein.

I also do toast with peanut butter and honey or slices of banana, add granola to your yogurt. I also make pancakes in advance (we had pancakes for dinner) and bake ALL the batter. Store the pancakes in the fridge and warm them up-hot breakfast for a few days.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    PLAIN greek yogurt with granola and added berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Turkey burger!

130 cal burger bun
    180 cal butterball turkey patty
    15 cal tomato and pickle slices
    5 cal Bick's relish

330 cals and you don't get hungry for at least 4-5 hours!

Accompaniment to any breakfast: Roasted zucchini slices with olive oil and seasonings. A whole zucchini is about 20-25 cals and very filling.

Bread Pizza

2 slices Demster's 45 cals per slice bread Toasted
    Spread a little marinara sauce on one side of each slice
    cover marinara side with tomato slices, green pepper slices, onions and mushrooms
    Sprinkle some Italian seasoning and garlic powder
    Put in the regular oven on broil at 400 F and go have a shower or something. It'll be ready in about 15-20 mins.
    Optional: 30 cal slices of Kraft cheese singles.

whole thing with cheese: 175 cals and super filling
  • jacobschwarz
    jacobschwarz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bacon (about 90 cal), 2x eggs (140 cal), toast (90 cal). maybe add butter. Belive it or not, you can havea good breakfast and still not explode the calories.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have alot of oatmeal, but I don't recommend it for you becuase you don't like it LOL

How about a shake (I have 1 cup fruit, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, and protein mix)
    Or
    maybe add some turkey bacon to your egg wrap (or just have eggs and turkey bacon).
    Mix up your cereal choices -- fibre one cereals are yummy
    What about a protein/granola bar with a piece of fruit
    Yogurt and granola?
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I make egg muffins and LOVE them!
    3 cups of liquid egg whites (I get the ones in the carton)
    1/2cup of 2% sharp cheddar cheese
    12 strips of Jennie O extra lean turkey bacon
    1/8 cup of milk or almond milk
    Cook bacon and chop. Mix eggs, cheese, and milk. Put 1/4 cup of mixtur in each cup of a muffin tin. Add bacon. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I refrigerate and heat up for breakfast all week!
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! I do make omelets, i guess i just forgot to list them, usually 1 hold eggs plus 2 egg whites with mushrooms, pico de gallo, and 1/4 cup of mixed cheese.

My yogurt or some sort of fruit is my mid morning snack. I leave pretty early because i live an hour from work, so i need that snack when i get there. Then if i'm still hungry i grab a protein bar.

I wanna try a sandwich that I had at brunch in Cali when i was visiting, but it's prob a ton of calories.... it was cheese, avocado, tomato and bacon on 2 slices of bread. But just thinking about it is making my mouth water... I'm gonna look into it.

THANKS EVERYONE!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ok, no oatmeal. I get it. But before you yell at me, have you ever tried "refrigerator oatmeal"? You can find recipes on theyummylife.com. It's quite different than the normal gruel oatmeal most people eat (myself included).

This!!! I love oatmeal anyways. Rolled, steel cut, or refrigerator! Especially on hot summer days, refrig oatmeal is the way to go! And I have a sweet tooth aka I LOVE CHOCOLATE...so I add some cocoa powder in there when I do the peanut butter variety. So good! Also, if you dont like the plain greek yogurt, try vanilla flavored. It adds some sugar, but I think it tastes better (to me of course).
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good ideas, bump for later :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    try oatmeal. you can mix flavors and add in things you like to cater to your tastes.

smoothies are a good option, you can get protien and again mix in whatever you like.

yogurt and granola is a go to for me. Again, whatever flavor combos you enjoy.