Strength exercises that don't use hands?

I would like to add strength training to my workouts, and I have access to a full gym at school, but the problem is I can't lift anything heavy with my hands for a while. I had carpal tunnel surgery last month, and the weight restrictions have been lifted, but my hand is still ery sore if any pressure is applied to it. And by the time it heals, I'll be having surgery on my other hand (in December). My other one is sore too, from the carpal tunnel, and goes numb when I do anything with it. I love to row, but won't be taking the boat out again until next spring :/

Are there any strength exercises I can do that don't involve pressure on my hands?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I am healing from a broken wrist so I do core exercises and leg exercises. Abdominals using my arms crossed in front of my chest. leg lifts, calf lifts in the stairwell. more abs with my arms stretched in front of me. I do three sets of 12 of all of these. Today I'm doing 150 calf lifts via the Wednesday mini challenge - rigorous and doesn't use my wrist.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    I am healing from a broken wrist so I do core exercises and leg exercises. Abdominals using my arms crossed in front of my chest. leg lifts, calf lifts in the stairwell. more abs with my arms stretched in front of me. I do three sets of 12 of all of these. Today I'm doing 150 calf lifts via the Wednesday mini challenge - rigorous and doesn't use my wrist.

Thanks :) I am a total beginner with strength. Would this be too much for me to start?
  • hmmm...perhaps just do some aerobic type classes that do not involve lifting. the motion of moving the arms is better than not. doing all legs and core might get really boring :wink:

can you do planks from your elbow/forearms? there are lots of good plank circuits to do.
  • Here is a website I was directed to awhile ago...got some great exercises (some involve hands though). Best part is, you don't have to go to the gym to do any of them!

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere-030612/#
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    There are lots of machines you can use that don't require use of your hands. Depending on how sore they are, you might even be able to do squats.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member

Thanks :) I am a total beginner with strength. Would this be too much for me to start?

do what you can and build from there. ;-)