Burning Fat on an Elliptical

Options

Replies

• babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    Interval training is a great way to burn more calories but it isn't necessarily easy to do if you are just starting out.

If you can only do 15 mins try taking a break for a few minutes and get back on. It will help you build endurance too.

I do interval training on the elliptical machine. I change my speed not resistance because it is easier for me to get through my workout...maybe someday I will work my way to changing the resistance but for now it is about burning calories. I use my music to gauge my speed some days...the right music can make or break your workout some days. Other days I just time it. 3 minutes normal speed (5) and 2 minutes fast pace (6-8)...but that is what works for me.

But you will burn more fat/calories the longer your on the machine do whatever works for you to get the time up...your body will burn more calories per min the longer you workout. Plug in to some music and go! There are a lot of people who have lost weight just 15 minutes at a time...good luck
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Life Fitness machine then, X-train if it has that function, fast, slow, resistance up, resistance down, concentrate on upper body, concentrate on lower body all automatic.

And yes to high intensity intervals, if you know how to do them on an elliptical machine.

Better still and it seems that you may find cardio machines a bit dull, take this challenge

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK
    rest I minute and 30 seconds plank - this should take about 15 minutes. Raise heart rate to cardio levels and hit your muscles.

You rest as and when you need it, but try to complete in one go. Do it at least 3 times a week, time each session and after a month amaze yourself with your progress.

this sounds very similar to the 30 day shred

I have no idea what a 30 day shred is. That to me is just a nice simple full body workout which raises heart rate and works muscle which is more interesting than cardio machines and I believe more fun. We do not have to be slaves to machines, machines are our "slaves"
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do intervals. A low intensity for the first 5 minutes, then start doing 30 seconds on a super high intensity at a fast pace, then break for 30 seconds, and go back and forth as such.

Don't use the arms when you're doing high intensity and just focus on the legs.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Life Fitness machine then, X-train if it has that function, fast, slow, resistance up, resistance down, concentrate on upper body, concentrate on lower body all automatic.

And yes to high intensity intervals, if you know how to do them on an elliptical machine.

Better still and it seems that you may find cardio machines a bit dull, take this challenge

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK
    rest I minute and 30 seconds plank - this should take about 15 minutes. Raise heart rate to cardio levels and hit your muscles.

You rest as and when you need it, but try to complete in one go. Do it at least 3 times a week, time each session and after a month amaze yourself with your progress.
    This sounds so doable once I can't train outside in the winter. Thanks for this:flowerforyou:
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK

I have no idea what a 30 day shred is. That to me is just a nice simple full body workout which raises heart rate and works muscle which is more interesting than cardio machines and I believe more fun. We do not have to be slaves to machines, machines are our "slaves"

While I agree that your workout is good, it's not going to replace an eliptical workout. Eliptical is an insane calorie burn, great cardio, and it really strengthens legs. If she did an eliptical workout AND your workout, then she would have an INSANE leg routine (which, OP, I think would be fabulous for you. =D)
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK

I do 30 day shred now. It is similar. But I'm getting tired of the routines. This just mixes it up.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    You can do this workout outside, if you are outside and near playground equipment there are others things you can add. You can add short sprints, like 20 yards, then run backwards 20 yards. Anything is possible.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    "While I agree that your workout is good, it's not going to replace an eliptical workout. Eliptical is an insane calorie burn, great cardio, and it really strengthens legs. If she did an eliptical workout AND your workout, then she would have an INSANE leg routine (which, OP, I think would be fabulous for you. =D) "

I did not say replace, but I detected that the OP did not enjoy the Elliptical and cardio machines are not for everyone. And I can assure you that workout is as much cardio as it is strength, especially in 15 minutes. I try and facilitate the best workout for the time that someone has to spare.

I agree, the elliptical and the ARC trainer are great pieces of low impact exercise. Just wish people would up their work rate, set the resistance higher, start sweating and hit 8 or 10 on the Perceived Exertion Scale rather than 3 to 4. And that is the basic crux of the matter there is doing 15 minutes and there is DOING 15 MINUTES.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    While I agree that your workout is good, it's not going to replace an eliptical workout. Eliptical is an insane calorie burn, great cardio, and it really strengthens legs. If she did an eliptical workout AND your workout, then she would have an INSANE leg routine (which, OP, I think would be fabulous for you. =D)

Eh, eliptical machines are decent but they're limited in a lot of ways. I think running and cycling are far better b/c you have the option of doing them both inside and outside. Plus, running just seems much harder to me than the elipitcal machine, which is easy to start slacking on.

To the OP: in order to burn a lot of calories on the ellipitcal, you need to get in better shape. The best way to get in shape is to do a combination of endurance and hight intensity intervals. Intervals are really where the money is in regard to fat burning (the so-called "fat loss zone" is a myth), but doing them everyday can lead to over-training. Also, you'll want to build up your endurance with some longer slower workouts to strengthen your heart and cardiovascular system.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    "(the so-called "fat loss zone" is a myth), but doing them everyday can lead to over-training" -

and overtraing applies to professional sports persons (or amateurs) engaging in at least 20 hours of training per week, and even then the vast majority of pro athletes never suffer from what is described as overtraining. Whereas, the body at certain heart rates is known to burn stored fat more than other material, so not a myth.

So, what is a myth BRO
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Replace the elliptical altogether with kickboxing, Zumba, spinning, or weight lifting. it's what I did and I've never looked more forward to a 1 hr work out!! :D

I could do like 40 minutes... went down to 30..... went down to 25.... kept getting more bored and more bored and my brain was getting stir crazy.

Nothing like a crazy teacher and loud music with a room filled with sweaty groaning people to make you forget how long you've been moving!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to use an elliptical for burning fat?

Fast or Slow pace?
    High or low resistance?
    Etc

I have a hard time staying on my elliptical for longer than 15 minutes no matter the settings; I'm obviously very out of shape. Each time I do a little better though, so now I just want to make sure I'm using it to my advantage.

If you are just starting out, then the first step is to build up endurance. You can lower the resistance and the pedaling speed, or--since you say that doesn't help--you can do, say 10 min, rest for 2 min and do 10 more. Or try doing 8 min three or four times. Basically, you need to find a "base" level that you can tolerate and build up from there. And you can use different interval strategies as well as building up your ability to tolerate a sustained effort.

Even "out of shape" it's hard to imagine that you could not get yourself up to 30 min or so. At that point, you can then start adding in some higher-intensity interval workouts and more variety.
  • ifyouwanttosingout
    Options
    Don't rush, allow breaks and work with what feels best for you. Good luck!
  • angieling3
    angieling3 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just have to put my two cents in here.. After 15 minutes, my body goes into a different mode. I don't even feel like I'm moving after 15 minutes because it feels so great. Its like how the runners say that the first mile is the worst. After that, its cruise control.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK

In fact, one of the sad part about the elliptical machine is that it does not move your center of gravity. You don't move your weight forward, or up and down. So while it is definitely a cardio exercise, it should always be viewed as what it really is : a machine to help people that can't run properly, maybe due to really excessive weight or injuries, etc.

All the body weight exercise he posted will raise your cardio as much as the elliptical workout, if you so desire. But it will also put to work all the muscles associated with balance in most of those movements. You are not tied to a machine that does that for you. If you really have to choose between those two workouts for that 15 minutes, I'd go with the body weight workout anytime.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    "(the so-called "fat loss zone" is a myth), but doing them everyday can lead to over-training" -

and overtraing applies to professional sports persons (or amateurs) engaging in at least 20 hours of training per week, and even then the vast majority of pro athletes never suffer from what is described as overtraining. Whereas, the body at certain heart rates is known to burn stored fat more than other material, so not a myth.

So, what is a myth BRO
    Agreed. It's very hard to overtrain. Like insanely hard. It's very easy to undersleep and undereat..

If overtraining was as common and easy as a lot of people on here make it sound, most everyone working heavy labour jobs should be insanely overtrained. yet go through their daily routines without too much trouble.
  • ZoobityBop
    ZoobityBop Posts: 22
    Options
    From my experience, high interval workouts (fast for 1 min, slow for 2) has always been efficient in burning fat. What really helped get my weight loss progress over the edge though was when I tried out the Diet Solution Program a couple years ago and was amazed at the results. I think you should find a couple exercises and diet plans from it and supplement it with your elliptical workouts. There's also a great review on it right here: http://fantasticfitnessreviews.com/the-diet-solution-program-review/

Good luck.
  • ifyouwanttosingout
    Options
    I just have to put my two cents in here.. After 15 minutes, my body goes into a different mode. I don't even feel like I'm moving after 15 minutes because it feels so great. Its like how the runners say that the first mile is the worst. After that, its cruise control.

This happens for me, too.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

So, what is a myth BRO
    Agreed. It's very hard to overtrain. Like insanely hard. It's very easy to undersleep and undereat..

If overtraining was as common and easy as a lot of people on here make it sound, most everyone working heavy labour jobs should be insanely overtrained. yet go through their daily routines without too much trouble.

You don't understand what overtraining is and how it occurs. A chronic training overload that does not allow for recovery will eventually lead to overtraining. It actually quite common.

In fact I would go so far as to say that if you never experience overtraining, you are not pushing yourself to your full capability.

Exercise training is a system of overload and recovery. From a basic standpoint, it is no more complicated than that.(In reality, it can be quite complicated, as our bodies are complex). Applying the wrong kind of overload, or not allowing for recovery means that at some point you will become chronically fatigued, have trouble sleeping, and find that performance deteriorates. That is overtraining. It's not a permanent condition. It likely is not even that serious -- just a temporary misalignment of your stimulus/recovery cycles.

Elite athletes know this very well, and so they structure their training programs around the times they want to "peak" for best performance. They know that peak can only last for so long.

Anyone who tries to train 6-7 days per week is almost certainly going to go into an "overtrained" status at some point. It doesn't mean they should not exercise that much--it is possible to structure a program to minimize the risk--it just means they should be aware of how it happens and what it feels like, so that they can manage it.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

So, what is a myth BRO

1. So would you recomend weight training the same muscles 7 days per week? Over-training only applies to pro-athletes right bro?

2. At certain heart rates the body burns slightly different PERCENTAGES of fat and carbs. Burning 55% fat and 45% carbs doesn't mean jack if your overall calorie burn is much lower than the guy burning 45% fat and 55% carbs, especially when the hormonal response is much more favorable with HIIT. And then there's the fact that every study done has found that people performing HIIT end up with better body composition results than endurance cardio.