New mom needs suggestions and encouragement

I just had a baby in Nov. (boy has the time gone fast). I was doing so good before the baby with working out, running, taking all kinds of exercise classes and trying to eat healthy. Once I got pregnant I had some issues an stopped exercising and my eating wasn't up to par. Anyways after I had the baby I dropped 32 lbs in two week (think it was mainly water weight) and then since then I have added 14 lbs. I have a very busy, stressful job that I spend about 50-55 hours a week working and also I have the baby and the family. I am having a really hard time finding a place to put exercise in my daily schedule as I leave the house at 8:30AM and usually dont' get home until about 7PM and then the rest of my night consists of making dinner, washing bottles, preparing baby's diaper bag for the next day etc (sometimes I pick the baby up and take care of all the nighly routines of feeding, bathing, playing with the baby and putitng him to bed).
WHEN DO I FIND TIME TO EXERCISE. I am almost at my highest weight I have every been at in my life and I am miserable. I feel horrible but I am so tired and so busy I don't know when to fit in the exercise...and the bad eating comes from so much stress and being tired and eating quick easy cheap meals.
Any help would be appreciated! I need help so badly!

Replies

• batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Hi dear!

I am a new mom as well. Had my little guy last year (july 2011). First, this is what I do. If you are on a base of 1200 a day you will still lose weight with no exercise. Plan your meal ahead or there are some frozen options for work. The weight watchers variety is actuallu quite good. I know you want to exercise as well. Honestly, I have been getting up way early so I am able to. If you get up at 6:30 (or before sometimes) 30 minutes three times a week will change your life. it really will. Make time for yourself.
  • dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    I agree, as a new mom with a busy career, its hard to make time for yourself. Focus on counting your calories, and you can loose the weight without the exercise. If you must fit in exercise, can you get to a gym or a quick run on your lunch break? Get a good running stroller and take long walks or runs on your days off!
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Well, proper eating is 80% of the equation for weight loss...so put your focus there. And as for exercise...trying doing a little something-something during your lunch break...take the baby for a walk in the stroller at night...while holding the baby, do some squats. You don't have to commit to anything long or formal to get the health benefits. Again, focus on your food and fit in 10 minutes here and there whenever you can with the exercise. And cut yourself some slack. You can't do everything, despite your desires to do so.

Good luck!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Whew, I am worn out reading your list of activities! I'm surprised you're not burning calories doing all that you are doing. I'm a stay at home mom, and not everyone realizes that it, too, is a full time job. Is there any way you can cut back your hours at work?
    If not, just hang in there and try to stay positive. You are doing what you have to do, and try not to beat yourself up about it. You will eventually be able to incorporate regular exercise back into your life, even as a stay at home mom, I found that a challenge. :flowerforyou:
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Thank you for all of your kind words! :) I just have to do it now! lol
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Hello dolly I'm a new mom as well had my little girl Feb of this year by c-section I was cleared to start working out 8 weeks after I had her and since then have lost 60lbs!!! I am a single mom so can only do workout DVD's after my little one is asleep for the night but I'm getting there. Please anybody on this site feel free to add me!!! Also all of my pictures are from after baby so you have an idea
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    I am Mom not a new Mom I have 3 kids ages 16, 8 and 5. I hear you when you say when do you have time to work out. I have been trying to figure that out myself. lol My advice is try to do the best you can. Try to eat right and get as much sleep as you can. If you are tired you are not going to be able to put in a lot of effort into your workout. I like the idea of going for a walk with the baby. I don't have a baby anymore but I still find it hard to make time for myself. Moms tend to think of themselves first it's only natural. Just do the best you can and enjoy your little one now someday they won't be babies anymore.