24 hour fast

Options
13»

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump.....

Trying this out and I've woken up starving?
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    bumping again....

question....when i open my fast this evening...do i eat one large meal and try and hit as high as poss on calories or do i eat a normal size meal...approx 500 cals?
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bumping again....

question....when i open my fast this evening...do i eat one large meal and try and hit as high as poss on calories or do i eat a normal size meal...approx 500 cals?

I eat normally before the fast.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    bumping again....

I eat normally before the fast.

Agree. There's no prep for the fast, and there's no recovery after it. Eat a normal meal, and start the fast. Complete the fast 24 hours later with another normal meal. During the fast, drink plenty of water, but no need to go crazy - drink as you feel thirsty. Personally, I drink mostly decaf iced tea.

If you're not used to fasting, and the last few hours are really uncomfortable, it's fine to break the fast after 20 or 22 hours - especially if you feel dizzy, light-headed, really weak, etc. If you feel hungry, but otherwise you're ok, check to see if it's more of a psychological thing than a physical thing. But if you really are physically uncomfortable from hunger, then go ahead and eat. A fast is not supposed to be a miserable experience. Then, try it again in a week, and see if you can go a little bit longer.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Well my last meal wast last night and pretty big. I'm due to finish it in about 3 hours....I'm feeling crappy now...went to the shops and felt really disorientated and light headed.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Well my last meal wast last night and pretty big. I'm due to finish it in about 3 hours....I'm feeling crappy now...went to the shops and felt really disorientated and light headed.

How much water did you drink? I often drink 100 ounces or more on a fast day.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I measure in litres so I've had approx 2and half litres so far today.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Then go ahead and eat. Wait a few days (4-7) and try it again. No one said you need to hit the full 24 hours your first time. Build up to it. (You might be carb crashing)
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Sorry another question...I don't meet my macros for today then? I'm concerned I'll have eaten too many carbs too late in the day?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Sorry another question...I don't meet my macros for today then? I'm concerned I'll have eaten too many carbs too late in the day?

If your fast occurs over 2 days (e.g., 6pm Monday - 6pm Tuesday), you definitely won't hit your macros on the second day, although you should try to get pretty close on the first day. If the fast is from 12pm Monday to 12pm Tuesday, then you'll probably get about half your macros each day. Basically, over the course of the week, you'll be down one entire day's worth of macros for that 24 hour period that you didn't eat. You definitely don't want to try to eat back any of the calories you didn't consume during the fast - that would be totally missing the point of the fast.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    So that sound ok as I was on target yesterday. The only thing I'm not sure of now is that I'm already eating at a deficit...so I'm creating a bigger deficit now...which isn't good is it?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    So that sound ok as I was on target yesterday. The only thing I'm not sure of now is that I'm already eating at a deficit...so I'm creating a bigger deficit now...which isn't good is it?

How much of a deficit are you eating at now?