How much/What kind of protein post workout?

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Fitness or Nutrition, so I put it here...lol

I am going tonight for what i know is going to be a KILLER work out. It's my Mixed Martial Arts class, and the last time I went (last week) I did some things wrong. The biggest error I made was not having a post work out snack. I know I should have some carbs and some protein, but how much, I have no clue. MFP estimates my class will burn over 1000 calories.

So, I would love some ideas from everyone on what would be a good post workout snack...but, I have a couple of little snags to throw into the mix.

1) It has to be portable so I can bring it with me
2) I live 50k away from where my 1.5 hour class is, so my snack needs to not have to be refrigerated or kept cold/cool.

In the future, I think i will get a cooler bag, but for this week I am stumped. I can stop by a store and grab a snack after class, like cottage cheese or something like that, but I am not sure what is the best source of protein, and after how much I hurt last week, I am wanting to do it right.

Any ideas or input?

Replies

• cfbovey
    cfbovey Posts: 2 Member
    There are some protein drinks out there that are pre-mixed and don't require refridgeration. Also I would recommend something like beef jerky or some kind of nut they are full of protein which is good for a post workout. Also remember to drink tons of water.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    There are some protein drinks out there that are pre-mixed and don't require refridgeration. Also I would recommend something like beef jerky or some kind of nut they are full of protein which is good for a post workout. Also remember to drink tons of water.

There's no reason to eat protein right before or after your workout.

Also I don't think nuts are a very good source of protein
  • sosino
    sosino Posts: 41
    Tuna with lemon juice. Or Turkey sandwich.

Workouts Require Fuel

Every guy in the gym knows he should consume some protein after a workout. But how much, and when? "When you work out, your muscles are primed to respond to protein," Volek says, "and you have a window of opportunity to promote muscle growth."

Volek recommends splitting your dose of protein, eating half 30 minutes before the workout and the other half 30 minutes after. A total of 10 to 20 grams of protein is ideal, he says. And wrap a piece of bread around that turkey, because carbs can raise insulin; this slows protein breakdown, which speeds muscle growth after your workout. Moreover, you won't use your stored protein for energy; you'll rely instead on the carbs to replenish you.

One study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pinpointed 20 grams as the best amount of postworkout protein to maximize muscle growth.

You're doing this because resistance exercise breaks down muscle. This requires a fresh infusion of amino acids to repair and build it. "If you're lifting weights and you don't consume protein, it's almost counterproductive," says Volek. Protein also helps build enzymes that allow your body to adapt to endurance sports like running and biking.

Source: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/protein-after-workout.php#ixzz21lTcE1cM