A question for runners...

Options
After searching the board, with no luck, I want to ask: Has anyone attempted to train for a half marathon (or any sort of intense cardio) while also doing another fitness program, like Insanity/P90x/Body Revolution/etc.?

I completed my first half marathon in May. Looking for more, I started P90x at the end of June. I don't want to stop P90x, but a friend wants me to join them in a half marathon at the end of September. If I were to run (and spend the next 8 weeks conditioning/training) obviously I'd be burning calories at a higher rate - and in turn eating more.

But, I'm curious. If you have done something like this, where you work out 6 days a week and do additional cardio, if there is anything that you noticed or that affected your performance with either exercise. Thoughts?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I used P90X as my first cross training program, and only ran once per week. I than switched to Insanity, it was winter, and I didn't want to run a lot outside, so ran 1x per week and did Insanity. I was just coming off marathon training. I used Insanity up to the month before my half, then I switched to more running. After that half, I had to take off some time for surgery, I use Asylum to get back moving and ran a half doing just Asylum and Running 1-2 days a week.

In December I set out to PR my next half. I did P90X2 - and Brazil Butt Lift and ran 3x per week and biked 2x. P90X2 was perfect for using for training and cross training while race training. I PR'd my half, and ran 5 more halfs in the next few months. I'm now using Brazil Butt Lift and Running training for another full marathon. I took a week Off and did P90X2 Phase 1 that whole week.

I do an AM workout and a Lunch workout. It's too hot where I live to run in the evening, but I can still bike at night. It's a big commitment but can be done.

How much running have you done up until now? When is the half?

Runner's world had an article in it a few months back about using only Crossfit and minimal running to marathon train. It's not for everyone, and I doubt you would be hitting PR goals, but it IS doable IMO.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Isn't it all part of the "training"?

I've done a pretty solid lifting routine while training for triathlons.
  • nirvi9
    nirvi9 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm training for my first half-marathon (as well as doing triathlon training), and have been working through some of Jillian Michael's dvds at the same time (currently finishing up Ripped in 30).

What I've found is that I've had to pick one to prioritize over the other.. which for me, is the triathlon/HM training. I started off doing the strength workouts 5 days a week, and have ended up cutting back to doing them 3-4 (sometimes less, depending if it's a rest/taper week) times a week. When I was doing them more, I found it got to be too much (I was on the verge of over training) and I didn't want to risk hurting myself for my events because of the DVDs.

My best advice is to listen to your body and be flexible.. the half-marathon has a set finish date, but P90x doesn't, so if you want to do both you can always cut a day or two of P90x a week if you need to and just stretch out the time it takes to complete that program.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm training for another half right now, along with Tough Mudder training with my PT three times a week.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Cardio hits the ability to gain muscle

Apart from that I believe the more cardio the better
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie runner and training for a 15k while doing p90x. It's a LOT to take on.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for a couple year. I completed my first full marathon last year and this year I'm running 4 halves and numerous shorter runs (10 mile, 10k, & 5k). I've also started P90X this year. I basically use the P90X for the strength training videos only. For cardio I run instead of the cardio videos (yoga, cardio-x, kenpo, plyo, etc...). I try to do this for 6 days a week and rest the other (you'll need it). It seems to work great for me.

I know the cross training has helped improve my speed. My pace has improved by about 2 minutes/mile. I went from a 10:30 pace to a 8:30 pace within the year.

GOOD LUCK!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is a good question, I have P90X and I'm considering doing another half in October. I'm being kinda wishy-washy on which I really want to do. There is no way I can completely do both programs simultaneously. I'm not spending 2+ hours every night working out. I was thinking about doing 2-3 days of P90X strength training and running 3-4 days a week although that still seems like a lot. To me, it is just asking to get burnt out. So anyway, yeah, I'm still conflicted.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used P90X as my first cross training program, and only ran once per week. I than switched to Insanity, it was winter, and I didn't want to run a lot outside, so ran 1x per week and did Insanity. I was just coming off marathon training. I used Insanity up to the month before my half, then I switched to more running. After that half, I had to take off some time for surgery, I use Asylum to get back moving and ran a half doing just Asylum and Running 1-2 days a week.

In December I set out to PR my next half. I did P90X2 - and Brazil Butt Lift and ran 3x per week and biked 2x. P90X2 was perfect for using for training and cross training while race training. I PR'd my half, and ran 5 more halfs in the next few months. I'm now using Brazil Butt Lift and Running training for another full marathon. I took a week Off and did P90X2 Phase 1 that whole week.

I do an AM workout and a Lunch workout. It's too hot where I live to run in the evening, but I can still bike at night. It's a big commitment but can be done.

How much running have you done up until now? When is the half?

Runner's world had an article in it a few months back about using only Crossfit and minimal running to marathon train. It's not for everyone, and I doubt you would be hitting PR goals, but it IS doable IMO.

I started running a few years ago, but dived in early this year and truly committed to it. The half is September 23. If I follow the 12-week training schedule I used for the first run, I'm already on week 4.

Week 4 CT or 30 min Rest 3 CT 4 Rest 6 7/29/2012
    Week 5 CT or 30 min Rest 3 CT 3 Rest 7 8/5/2012
    Week 6 CT or 30 min Rest 4 CT 4 Rest 8 8/12/2012
    Week 7 CT or 30 min 4 Rest 4 CT 9 Rest 8/19/2012
    Week 8 CT or 30 min Rest 4 CT 3 Rest 10 8/26/2012
    Week 9 Rest Rest 5 CT 4 Rest 11 9/2/2012
    Week 10 CT or 30 min CT 4 Rest 3 CT 12 9/9/2012
    Week 11 CT or 30 min Rest CT Rest 3 CT 5 9/16/2012
    Week 12 CT or 30 min Rest 2 20 min Rest 20 min 9/23/2012 (Race!)

I'm not a very fast runner, but I can do long distances. I average about a 5.0 mph pace for distances. I'd like to improve my time, but that isn't my only goal.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    Options
    This is a good question, I have P90X and I'm considering doing another half in October. I'm being kinda wishy-washy on which I really want to do. There is no way I can completely do both programs simultaneously. I'm not spending 2+ hours every night working out. I was thinking about doing 2-3 days of P90X strength training and running 3-4 days a week although that still seems like a lot. To me, it is just asking to get burnt out. So anyway, yeah, I'm still conflicted.

Exactly my worry. I certainly don't want to have any injuries either!

If you decide to do the October half - I'd love to hear what your approach is.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    Options
    I've been a runner for a couple year. I completed my first full marathon last year and this year I'm running 4 halves and numerous shorter runs (10 mile, 10k, & 5k). I've also started P90X this year. I basically use the P90X for the strength training videos only. For cardio I run instead of the cardio videos (yoga, cardio-x, kenpo, plyo, etc...). I try to do this for 6 days a week and rest the other (you'll need it). It seems to work great for me.

I know the cross training has helped improve my speed. My pace has improved by about 2 minutes/mile. I went from a 10:30 pace to a 8:30 pace within the year.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks! Sounds like it definitely worked out well for you.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    Options
    I'm training for another half right now, along with Tough Mudder training with my PT three times a week.

Nice! I'm running the Dirty Girl in August, although that is much less intense compared to the Tough Mudder!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Kenpo is SUPER for runners - it gets the hip work in - if it were "me" I would skip one of the upper body days - or alternate it week by week to not miss Kenpo. Runner's typically have weak hips since running just wears the muscles faster than you can strengthen the muscle, IMO. The Kenpo keep the hips strong and open and flexible. P90XPlus has a great Kenpo that is really fun with more kicking and more cardio. I didn't like Kenpo at first, but had to think it thru differently and now enjoy it.