SlimFast??

Options
13»

Replies

• shinybonnie
    Options
    Boss -- Learning to eat better is a process, and we are all at different places in that process. I don't think I need to cancel my MFP membership because I'm eating a SF bar instead of a GNC protein powder shake. I am proud of the distance I have come, and I wouldn't have gotten this far w/out the Slimfast. As I said before, I wouldn't have traded my McD's for a salad, but was able to trade the McDs for a SF bar and then the SF bar for a salad. SF has been an important tool for me in this journey.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Boss -- Learning to eat better is a process, and we are all at different places in that process. I don't think I need to cancel my MFP membership because I'm eating a SF bar instead of a GNC protein powder shake. I am proud of the distance I have come, and I wouldn't have gotten this far w/out the Slimfast. As I said before, I wouldn't have traded my McD's for a salad, but was able to trade the McDs for a SF bar and then the SF bar for a salad. SF has been an important tool for me in this journey.

I don't begrudge anyone their techniques. That doesn't make slimfast any healthier though. She asked if we would recommend slim fast, I answered her in the best way I know how. As I said, it's healthIER than fast food, that still doesn't make it healthy.

I don't expect everyone to be there every day all day with their diet, and I certainly don't expect everyone to be there right off the bat, that's not what this post was about. The post was asking if slim fast was a good choice, I think that it isn't, that's my opinion based on the knowledge I have obtained over the years. Others may have other opinions, that's fine, this is a free board and I don't feel any animosity over it. But I still get to post my opinion.
  • DarthEnjolras
    Options
    Good insight, Boss. Forget ANY meal replacements. Just go get powdered protein shake meal replacements. Ummm....

If you or others don't "approve" of slim fast, that is just fine. But your words are completely wrong if you say that losing weight with slim fast is akin to replacing dying by burning to death with being hung. The fact is, I am 40 lbs. lighter than I was in February thanks to slim fast. Because of slim fast, my cholesterol is down to well within healthy ranges, my blood pressure is perfect, I feel great, and, additionally my clothes fit.

Any doctor I have ever talked to has suggested that not being overweight, having good cholesterol, and having perfect blood pressure are actually good and healthy things. If that is me being hung instead of burning to death, then I guess it is being hung by a long term, barely noticeable asphyxiation that takes place over 80 years versus being burned to death rapidly.

You may disagree with one form of dieting versus another. Great. You do what you do, and I will do what I will do. But I absolutely AM healthier because of slim fast than I was before it.

So here's to slim fast slowly but inevitably destroying my health and killing me over the next 50 years by helping me to get all of my health issues related to weight under control...
  • happylittlebird
    Options
    I've heard they taste good, and if you look at the contents/ingredients you will know why.

I googled slim fast and ingredients.
    This from "healthandfitness.com"
    Here are some facts from an actual label of "Ultra Slim Fast"-
    3 grams of fat (11% of calories), 10 grams or protein (17% of calories), and 40 grams of carbs (72% of calories).
    While these numbers are not bad for a meal, it is the sugar content that makes this both inexpensive and less desirable for a meal. Out of the 40 grams of carbs, 35 of it is sugars. Almost 88% of the carbs are sugar.

Here is another site's remarks.

Healthy, in this case, is relative. If your idea of good nutrition is combining a bag of pork rinds with a couple of burgers from the local fast food joint, well then yes, these are nutritious shakes.

In reality... the Slim Fast shakes aren't particularly nutritious, and they certainly aren't worth the money you pay for them.

So what's in a Slim Fast diet shake?
    The 4 main ingredients are skim milk, sugar, fructose, and cocoa. In other words, milk, sugar, and sugar. Other ingredients include various vegetable oils, emulsifiers, and a dubious vitamin blend.

A 375ml (1.5 cups) shake contains 12 grams of protein -- slightly less than what you'd obtain drinking the same amount of 1% low-fat milk.

This same shake contains 38 grams of carbohydrates -- 20 grams more than if you drank the equivalent amount of 1% low-fat milk (with those additional carbs coming from the added sugar). Considering that milk contains significant amounts of vitamins A and D, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium and Zinc, I'd suggest that you chuck the Slim Fast shakes (vitamin blend and all), and simply drink milk instead.

IMO - Thumbs down

You make some great points here. Thanks for doing the quick research. I have a few cans in my fridge from when I was having some eating issues a while ago. My doctor wanted me to keep some sort of drink on hand in case I couldn't reach my calories....(typical way to force nutrition for eating disorder patients)...I compared the sugar content to ensure and it was lower and the Slimfast was on sale, so I went with the slimfast. He cringed when I told him what I bought, but was happy I was at least getting some calories.

Other than that reason, I don't think they are a good choice for weightloss. We have to think of nutrition as a way to fuel our bodies. Whole foods is the best way. Its also easier to eat whole foods when you look at the whole picture and consider the long tern effects of dieting.
  • happylittlebird
    Options
    Slimfast has a low carb variety with NO ADDED SUGAR (other than what is in the milk that is in the drink) and no sugar alcohols. It is found with the other Slimfast products but is NOT "Ultra Slimfast."

I like it and use it not so much to lose weight as a quick meal replacement, usually for breakfast or for a snack. I eat other food as well and am not on a low carb diet, but I like Slimfast and wish to avoid sugar.

To each their own ...
    I've heard they taste good, and if you look at the contents/ingredients you will know why.

I googled slim fast and ingredients.
    This from "healthandfitness.com"
    Here are some facts from an actual label of "Ultra Slim Fast"-
    3 grams of fat (11% of calories), 10 grams or protein (17% of calories), and 40 grams of carbs (72% of calories).
    While these numbers are not bad for a meal, it is the sugar content that makes this both inexpensive and less desirable for a meal. Out of the 40 grams of carbs, 35 of it is sugars. Almost 88% of the carbs are sugar.

Here is another site's remarks.

Healthy, in this case, is relative. If your idea of good nutrition is combining a bag of pork rinds with a couple of burgers from the local fast food joint, well then yes, these are nutritious shakes.

In reality... the Slim Fast shakes aren't particularly nutritious, and they certainly aren't worth the money you pay for them.

So what's in a Slim Fast diet shake?
    The 4 main ingredients are skim milk, sugar, fructose, and cocoa. In other words, milk, sugar, and sugar. Other ingredients include various vegetable oils, emulsifiers, and a dubious vitamin blend.

A 375ml (1.5 cups) shake contains 12 grams of protein -- slightly less than what you'd obtain drinking the same amount of 1% low-fat milk.

This same shake contains 38 grams of carbohydrates -- 20 grams more than if you drank the equivalent amount of 1% low-fat milk (with those additional carbs coming from the added sugar). Considering that milk contains significant amounts of vitamins A and D, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium and Zinc, I'd suggest that you chuck the Slim Fast shakes (vitamin blend and all), and simply drink milk instead.

IMO - Thumbs down

You make some great points here. Thanks for doing the quick research. I have a few cans in my fridge from when I was having some eating issues a while ago. My doctor wanted me to keep some sort of drink on hand in case I couldn't reach my calories....(typical way to force nutrition for eating disorder patients)...I compared the sugar content to ensure and it was lower and the Slimfast was on sale, so I went with the slimfast. He cringed when I told him what I bought, but was happy I was at least getting some calories.

Other than that reason, I don't think they are a good choice for weightloss. We have to think of nutrition as a way to fuel our bodies. Whole foods is the best way. Its also easier to eat whole foods when you look at the whole picture and consider the long tern effects of dieting.
  • fairy28
    fairy28 Posts: 13
    Options
    I personally like the taste of simfast... really. A few years ago I was sticking to the plan and lost over 30lbs. Eventually I gained the weight back when I went back to different eating habits, however that was my fault not slimfast. As many people have stated it does have a lot of sugar in it, but most if you are eating the same amount in a breakfast you eat, what is the difference? I think I'm in the minority by preferring to drink my calories as opposed to eating them. I suggest you just pick up a few and see if you like them and how you feel about the concept.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I used SF (not the Ultra, the origingal) to lose some weight before I got pg with my 1st. I didn't do the "whole plan." I used the shakes for breakfast (which was typically consumed in the car), sometimes used the meal bars (again, when I was pinched for time), and I also used the snack bars. I have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth. The SF satisfied that, and was WAY cheaper than the fast food I had been consuming.

Unfortunately, my ability to drink SF died with the onset of morning sickness. I can no longer stomach it (one of those learned aversions!) I keep thinking I'll try it again, but then I do. Still a "no go.":tongue:

Are these the healthiest choice? Well, no. Are they healthier than what I was doing before? Absolutely! Is it a long term solution? Probably not.:ohwell:

This is a journey you are undertaking. No one knows exactly what will do it for you. Take all of this advice, process it, and make an educated choice. If it works for you, go for it! If it doesn't, try something new! Keep in mind that you still need address the eating habits that brought you to this point, and fix those. (Mine is portion control and sweets.:blushing: ) Only a true lifestyle change will KEEP the weight off.

Good luck making the right decision. Whichever way you go, the weight loss will happen!
  • miaangel345
    Options
    I actually think they taste pretty good. They're good for every once in a while! It's best not to make a habit out of them though because if u drink too many of course you will consume too many calories!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    When I was working a shift that started at 5 AM, ANYTHING that was fast and portable was my ideal breakfast, but I still wanted to be reasonable in terms of calories and fat. The Ultra Slimfast shakes with a banana were a satisfying breakfast and it was preferable to skipping breakfast and over eating later. I lost my first 30 lbs. using this option for breakfast probably 3 times a week. I also like them because I find it much easier to drink something at that hour than eat something. I have always avoided eating first thing in the day, and my metabolism thanked me by helping me gain and keep weight.

Slimfast served a purpose and solved my problem of what to have for breakfast. I still keep a few around for a snack or meal replacement if I am in the mood.

As far as the great debate previously started about how terrible they are and how you don't "learn anything" eating meal replacements....to that I say "phooey!" If it is a choice between NO breakfast, or heaven forbid an Egg Mcmuffin :noway: ..:noway: I think the Slimfast is a better choice. I don't use Slimfast because I am ignorant of healthy eating, but because I am smart enough to realize that not eating something first thing in the morning is a recipe for weight gain. The meal bars serve a similar purpose. I prefer the "Zone Perfect" brand, widely available (Walmart and Costco) and find them (by themselves) to be more filling that Slimfast by itself.

Yes I know there are "real food" options, and when I am retired and no longer live and die by the clock, I will probably make some of them for breakfast. Until that time comes, I am thankful for options that work for me. :drinker:
  • feistygirl09
    Options
    I have used slimfast bars for breakfast & snacks for years. It helps to keep me on track & is easy when I dont have time to make something healthy for myself.

For the shakes - I like glucerna better. It is made for diabetics & is low in sugar. I like the chocolate & they also have a caramel. They may not be the 'ideal' meal but they are definately helpful when you need something quick & easy.:flowerforyou:
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    I've been on Slim Fast since Feb 2009. I have lost 20 pounds. Don't get me wrong (look at my weigh-in on my profile). I STARTED my exercise regimen/diet plan, stopped eating 2-3 hours before I went to bed, etc., in January 2009 when I VOWED I would lose weight (I was 189 pounds then). If ya'll remember back in Feb of this year Slim Fast coupons were in your local newspaper, and then I saw their TV commercial where the woman was kick boxing a donut and then tightened her belt on her blue jeans. I liked the commercial so I bought a case of Slim Fast ready-to-drink shakes (and STILL do ever since) and then read in Prevention (old magazines I had in my office/home) about drinking a protein shake; so EVERYTHING coincided with my regimen.

BUT I only drink a Slim Fast once a day M-F when I'm at work for lunch. Why?

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muscle tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

I work out Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (I am training myself to jog/run 2 miles during my lunch hour as back again, in Feb, I was Power Walking 2 miles). I have LOST 20 pounds, eat 1,250 calories per day, and my 2nd goal is to lose an additional 10 pounds before my 45th birthday (March 2010). Blessings!

Eva