Wide squat v. narrow squat

Options
I did some Googling, which didn't help, and I searched the forum board, and there were no results for this, so: what are the benefits of wide squats v. narrow squats? As in which muscles are targeted? Anyway to do a squat which would target ab muscles at the same time?

I have a pact with a friend to do 50 squats per pee for a week. Being that I use the bathroom a lot due to high H2O consumption, this could be a great opportunity to do some major targeting work because of how many squats I'll be doing. While doing squats just now in the bathroom (yes, it is a sight), I began wondering about my form. I want to target inner thighs. Would one or the other be more beneficial for targeting inner thighs?

What muscles are targeted in wide v. in narrow? Any useful diagrams or links would be great!

And if you want to join the challenge, message me!

Replies

• jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome idea, wide squats are better in my opinion for inner thighs. Narrow squats work the quad, wide squats work the inner thighs because they are working harder to push you back up without your majority of the leg underneath you. Have fun!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just checked out Youtube and they have several videos on wide and narrow squats plus a narrow-jump-to-wide squat that looks killer! It tells you all the muscles worked in each video! Happy squatting!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    basically either one.
    I'd maybe try both and see what feels better.
    I squat wide because my knees don't track forward as far if I do that. And that keeps them from getting injured.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just checked out Youtube and they have several videos on wide and narrow squats plus a narrow-jump-to-wide squat that looks killer! It tells you all the muscles worked in each video! Happy squatting!

Yeah, after I posted this, and I started actually listening to the videos, I noticed they explained it in one I watched.

Also, I found this which is a bunch of different types of squats. http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/6-moves-slimmer-thighs
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome idea, wide squats are better in my opinion for inner thighs. Narrow squats work the quad, wide squats work the inner thighs because they are working harder to push you back up without your majority of the leg underneath you. Have fun!

Try it for a week!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    heels should be shoulder width, toes pointed out. This is the most neutral on your knees/groin. It also fully recruits the muscles of the upper leg, assuming you go below parallel.

wide squat should be fine unweighted. But weighted can really wreck the groin muscles without proper attire.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just going by personal experience/feel, both narrow and wide basically target the same muscles. I have a hard time doing heavy squats with a wider stance because of the strain on my groin, thus I have a very narrow stance.

As for how to target abs... as long as you're getting down low enough, you'll be hitting your abs for sure.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    basically either one.
    I'd maybe try both and see what feels better.
    I squat wide because my knees don't track forward as far if I do that. And that keeps them from getting injured.
    what he said. my feet are always just wider than hip width when i squat w/ toes pointed out. any closer than this or with toes pointing forward, my right knee tracks funny and could lead to injury.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sumo squats will hit your inner thighs more. =)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with form when feet are close to hip width apart. Either my knees track too far over my feet, or I lose balance. My normal squats end up a little wider than shoulder, but not quite as wide as a sumo.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I rotate the two every other day. So Monday is narrow and Tuesday is Wide to target the Quads and the the inner thighs. Which is really begining to work for me. Maybe that might work for you for your challenge

Good luck!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Wider squat is more glutes and hamstrings

Narrow stance is more quads, but If you squat deep you still get a lot of glute and ham involvement
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    but If you squat deep you still get a lot of glute and ham involvement

This is true. If you think of the Squat less as bending at the knee and more of dropping you butt back in a sitting motion, it tends to get you deeper and it works glute and quads more than hamstrings....truth be told this i something I struggle with, I tend to bend at the knees more than sit my butt back.
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! I love this and will definitely try it!!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For inner thighs, try squatting out to one side then the other..i.e. stand with feet together, then move your right leg out to squat down, move feet back together as you stand back up. You should feel your inner thigh on the leg that isn't moving as it works to pull your body back to center.

But watch your aim ;)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Jeeeeeeezus I would be squatting all day! Anyway, I would say do whichever stance feels most comfortable- you'll be doing a lot of them and will hit the whole lower body pretty hard no matter how you do them.
    For inner thighs, try squatting out to one side then the other..i.e. stand with feet together, then move your right leg out to squat down, move feet back together as you stand back up. You should feel your inner thigh on the leg that isn't moving as it works to pull your body back to center.
    If you want to be technical, this sounds more like a side lunge than a squat to me- I think the difference is in taking the step, squats are generally straight up and down whereas lunges have horizontal movement. I could be wrong though- I've been wrong once or twice before! If I were the OP I would try to amend the rules to do some lunges in place of some of the squats to avoid burnout though! Side lunges are great.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do lots of different squats as well. I love plie squats, they work the inner thigh muscles.

Traditional (back) squats are actually my least favorite. I think hack squats really work the butt awesome.

I also do all different lunges...walking lunges, lunges with back foot on a step, etc..