Weight loss without exercise

Options

Replies

• sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Like they said, you can, but it takes much longer. Wanting to lose weight this way is what, in part, led to my ED. I'll just eat less and less daily. Pretty soon....

Start slow and find an activity you like to do, however simple. Focus on your movement throughout the day. Be more intentional.
  • kuntkick
    kuntkick Posts: 4
    Options
    You can loose weight faster.(: The more iron you pump, push-ups you do,and running you attempt burns fat faster and the more attractive you'll be but of course everyone is beautiful but I would suggest if you have a near by gym or treadmill then put it on incline and start walking for 30 minutes a day stretch first though then after doing a few push-ups won't hurt and drink alot of water no sugar like POP bad bad bad. Good luck!
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60-70 pounds before I started exercising (then again I had a ton to lose). I wish I had exercised more because I did lose some muscle mass, but I was just too lazy to exercise.

I've been told by some people that that was a good way to do it so I didn't injure myself, but I'm not sure I believe them because I still could have ridden my bike or done stationary strength training without much of a risk of injuring myself.

Now I'm addicted to exercising (not good either, but better than being too lazy to exercise at all) and I plan my entire day around when I want to exercise.
  • MsAmulet
    MsAmulet Posts: 36
    Options
    Diet is most important. Too many people exercise, overeat, and then complain that they don't lose.

Exercise will help make sure you're not dropping lean muscle with the fat. It also feels good mentally. If you give it two weeks you'll start to notice improvements that will keep you going!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with calorie counting only? It is so hard for me to force myself to exercise. Would I be successful working on my diet and then incorporating exercise after I see some weight loss results?

You can lose weight with only worrying about calories. As others have said I would try to fit in a little bit of exercise. A 15 minute walk is so great for your overall health. It's all about the baby steps!
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    Well here's the math. Lets for discussion sake say you burn 2000 calories a day naturally (which probably isn't too far off). You need to be at a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb. You want to lose about 1 lbs per week according to your goals so you would need to DILIGENTLY eat 1500 calories a day. Simply put, the end.

If you exercise there's room for going a bit higher on calories, having cheat days, speeding up the process, and of course all the other obvious benefits of exercise.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yes you could do it without exercise but I don't recommend it. Exercise is good for your heart, your body and your soul! You're far more likely to keep the weight off if you have an active lifestyle.

Also what's going to make you want to workout after losing 5 lbs? It's a mind game and you gotta push through it.

What she said! ^^ I couldn't have said it any better myself! I've kept my weight off for all these years because I exercise...
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about diet, so yes, you can lose without exercise.

Health, however, is about both.
  • tweaver77
    tweaver77 Posts: 2
    Options
    Part of what we want is a trim body. To firm and shape your torso a little activity is needed. without exercise for every 2 lbs of fat you lose you will lose a pound of muscle. Since only muscle burns fat any you lose slows your fat loss and makes gaining it back easier. Exercise will build the muscle back protecting your heart and leg muscles.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercise. You an also paddle a boat with your shoe, crawl instead of walk and ride a bike with a flat tire.

Eating right and exercise go hand in hand and make everything work much more efficient. I personally just don't see the point in dieting without exercise. The last thing I want to look like is a bag of skin with no lean muscle mass and no better of a cardiovascular system then I had before. As I lose weight I want to maintain my lean muscle so when I am at my goal, I look good, instead of being "skinny fat". How will you strengthen your body without exercise, or strengthen your heart, etc?

In the end it's up to you, as it's your journey not mine.
  • maeeastr
    maeeastr Posts: 4
    Options
    I haven't done any serious exercising so far and I'm at the 20 lb. loss mark. Now I'm ready to start walking longer than 10 minutes and doing stretching. Eventually, I will incorporate weight exercises. A little at a time. I'm in this for the long haul!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that the OP wants to start working on diet first and later introduce exercise is getting lost in some of the responses. My impression was that exercise will be a component, just not working on exercise and diet right from the start.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    One thing you don't want to do is exercise so much so quickly that you get sick of it. You want to make sure you enjoy it so you can continue it for the rest of your life. Playing a sport is the best form of exercise in my opinion because you don't really think of it as exercising, but everyone is different psychologically and not everyone enjoys competition the same amount.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Not sure who said this but they said

No one likes exercising at first. Eventually, once you start seeing the results and once you're surpassing your fitness goals, you'll start to enjoy it.

This is absolutely not true. I started at 354 lbs and loved exercise from the start. EVERYONE is different.
  • a1phabeth
    a1phabeth Posts: 7
    Options
    According to my doctors and the current state of my back I am not supposed to be exercising. I need to let my back heal and rest, with small physical therapy to strengthen my core and shoulder.

Accordingly I have been sent to the nutritionist and have a pretty strict 1500 calorie lifestyle set out for me to lose weight with no exercise. Sooo it's definitely possible!

Wondering if there is anyone else in my situation on here...
  • shelia1219
    shelia1219 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that the OP wants to start working on diet first and later introduce exercise is getting lost in some of the responses. My impression was that exercise will be a component, just not working on exercise and diet right from the start.

Yes. This is correct. I want to focus on my diet first but I most definitely plan to work in consistent exercise later in the process. I know it's good for me! I understand the difference between skinny and skinny fat. I want to be fit and healthy.

After reading some of your posts I did put on my Beyonce DVD and dance with my 5lb weights. I worked up a sweat. :)

Thanks for all of your comments!
  • Foreverblessedx3
    Options
    don't have time to read all posts, but if it hasn't been said already, muscles burn more calories, so if you are able to physically, exercising will build strength in the muscles and as they get stronger, you will lose faster. I lost 20 in the last 2 months before coming here, and I dove in head first... close to 300 lbs, but I took off hiking trails 2-3 miles, and walking every night. I went through a phase where I thought I wasn't losing, but my clothes were starting to hang... the muscles were taking up less space, so I totally recommend a lot of exercise if you have the ability to. In just this short amount of time, I feel stronger, and much lighter, and it's only 20lbs.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here is my personal story. I agree with the calories in and calories out. Stick to your calorie goal and you should lose weight. When I have done this I had many more plateaus than when I worked out than when I didn't . It took a lot longer to drop the weight.

Personally, I have found that once I started working out I wanted to do more. I like the energy I had. Loved having a runner's high, and have seen my muscles tighten up as well as my skin. I feel better all around, kind of like sweating is shoving toxins out of my body. I am also much easier to be around during that time of the month :)

So, I'm sure you can lose the weight without the workout, but I think the workout would be better for anyone in the long run. Don't start off trying to run a 5K tomorrow, work yourself up to something. Do some activity that you enjoy.
  • Limeynana
    Limeynana Posts: 23
    Options
    I recommend walking about 30 mins a day if you don't like exercising! This way you get out in to the air and you don't have to throw in any dvd's. Also walking is great for you!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    sure you can do it but if you have a lot to lose expect some saggy skin.