kickboxing teacher told me...

Options
2»

Replies

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I should apologise for this before I say it, but my brain is working like this lately.

But that just makes me want to use food colouring.

lol good one
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    my kickboxing teacher told me that if i want to diet I should cut out anything white (breads, rice, pasta, etc) and stick to colorful foods. I trust him but I would like to hear from a few other sources before I go all out into this diet. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Whole wheat pasta contains more protien & fiber (naturally) than "white" pasta. The same with brown vs. white .... bread, rice, etc. Less processed is better.

More fiber & more protien helps to keep you full longer (for the same calories) more "bang for your buck." I won't give up bread for the rest of my life (lifestyle changes) .... but I definitely can make improvements.
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    if u “go on” this diet you will gain it all back when you “come off it”
    no diets .. just healthy lifestyle changes!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and my body has changed.
    Like others have said its about calories in and calories out.
  • BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would agree with that and push it to cutting out almost all processed foods as well. For breads, pasta and rice switch to whole grain and eat a colorful, plant based diet. You'll get higher quality nutrients, less calories & fat and more fiber which will keep you full longer. Also, water water water! Drink it all day long like it's your job :drinker:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    my kickboxing teacher told me that if i want to diet I should cut out anything white (breads, rice, pasta, etc) and stick to colorful foods. I trust him but I would like to hear from a few other sources before I go all out into this diet. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

I think this is unnecessary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and my body has changed.
    Like others have said its about calories in and calories out.
    I think you're right it is about calories in and calories out.
    I also think many of us find that it's easier to focus on the calories, and limit the calories in, and burn calories when our blood sugar levels are stable, we stay satiated longer, and we're fueling our bodies.

For many of us, limiting "the whites" makes it easier to eat right and focus on the calories.
    And for me, fueling my body, and feeling good is as important as calories in and calories out.

And, speaking just for me, a 40something woman, eating whole grains has become more important as I age. My body doesn't just doesn't run the way it used to.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It is not required to do this in order to lose weight. Weight loss is an equation of how much you eat versus how much you burn in calories. Do what works for you as long as it is "healthy" and won't kill you.

That all said, I "limit" the whites. I eat whole wheat/grain breads. I use Barilla Plus Pasta as I can't stand any whole wheat pastas I have tried, but I only eat pasta a few times a month (twice this month for example). I am transitioning to brown rice more and more. I eat sweet potatoes more then regular potatoes but I do occasionally have regular potatoes as well. For me, it's about making a "better" choice the majority of the time, but I will never totally give up the whites. Especially since most restaurants around here can NOT cook brown rice correctly and it's always mushy and yuck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    As a K-box instructor myself, I just tell people to make sure they get in their daily macro/micro nutrients and stay within calorie restriction for whatever they are trying to achieve. It's more about this type of consistency than it is about "white" breads, pasta, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Whole wheat pasta contains more protien & fiber (naturally) than "white" pasta. The same with brown vs. white .... bread, rice, etc. Less processed is better.

More fiber & more protien helps to keep you full longer (for the same calories) more "bang for your buck." I won't give up bread for the rest of my life (lifestyle changes) .... but I definitely can make improvements.
    There's a study that shows that you absorb less protein from brown rice than white because what provides fibre prevents absorption. Whenever I compare nutrional content of white vs whole grain pasta there's really not much difference. I'd say eat what you enjoy within moderation.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    edited double post
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Well following this probably won't hurt. But neither will white food.

But "once you go brown"...
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    my kickboxing teacher told me that if i want to diet I should cut out anything white

304.gif
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

That's not terrible advice, but I recommend you read up on it yourself - sounds like a very Paleo approach, which is what I'm doing, and I love it. But there are books out there you might want to scan: Primal Blueprint and Paleo Solution being two of the biggies.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Cut out the white, just not the brown. There's always room for whole grains. I try to stay away from the empty starches; white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread that's not whole grain, etc. Good luck!

I've ditched all grain, and so far it's been fantastic. It's mostly all filler, and as a result I'm eating more protein and veggies. I've also lost more weight in the last 3 weeks than I had in the previous 3 months - and that includes being on P90-X.