Experience loss of appetite after working out

Options
I end up a little too low on my calories for the day after workouts. My appetite is high the day after usually, if I dont work out.I don't want any negative consequences from eating too little, like not having enough fuel to build muscle. Any suggestions appreciated. :-)

Replies

• jennymmiller
    Options
    No suggestions, but you are not alone! When I work out in the evenings (especially when I work hard) I do not want dinner. Hopefully someone will post some help!
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe its the evening workouts that does it? Thats when I have the time to stay and work harder though.
  • mikmurphy
    Options
    Well I think we're on our own Jenny. Maybe I should post it in nutrition instead. I did read from browsing that adding some nuts can boost our calories up fast. Think I'll try that for now.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    High intensity or hot workouts are a natural appetite suppressant. Time of day does not matter. If you work out in the evening you can eat more beforehand or eat something high in calories like peanut butter.
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thats generally how it works.

When I play basketball at night I would sometimes burn upwards of 2000 calories. I would not be hungry when I went to bed shortly after playing.

The next day I would feel like I couldn't eat enough.

In reality I still had 2000 extra calories to eat.. so I would eat more the next day ~ 1000.

I would still net 1000 calores lost playing ball. Thats over .25 lbs!

You can lose a lot of weight very fast that way
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont worry about, just make up your calories the next day when you're actually hungry.

this happens to me frequently when i do HIIT.
  • mikmurphy
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance. Ive been working out really hard and it's also 90+ temperatures where I live. So I'm usually just hot and tired.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    After EVERY weight session I don't want to eat. I drink a shake though.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I end up a little too low on my calories for the day after workouts. My appetite is high the day after usually, if I dont work out.I don't want any negative consequences from eating too little, like not having enough fuel to build muscle. Any suggestions appreciated. :-)

Listening to your body is key. If you aren't hungry and you've eaten what you're supposed to, then don't worry about it! I drink a protein shake afterwards for recovery, but not everyone does.

That said, if you're just not hungry that's one thing. If the thought of food makes you sick or you feel nauseous, that's something different and you should talk to your doctor.

ETA- but, please make sure you're hydrating properly while working out!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I never feel like eating dinner if I do something hard, like a soccer game or a run longer than 6 miles, in the evening even if my tummy is growling. That's when I use my protein powder a make a quick shake. I have frozen baggies I fruits/veggies I use. They have mango, strawberries, carrots and spinach, so it's like a small meal in a cup.