Good foods and exercises for weight loss?

I'm 5'6 and 138 right now. I'd ideally like to lose about 10 to 15 pounds. I'm trying to make up a grocery list of good foods to help my weight loss, and I'm starting back at the gym tonight. Can anyone recommend any foods that could help with my weight loss, or what I should focus more so on in the gym to help with these last 10-15 lbs? Thanks!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    it's more so the portions of the foods that you eat.

but generally stick to unprocessed foods.
  • CourtneyB610
    CourtneyB610 Posts: 384
    I have a habit of buying Special K cereals and snack bars and stuff like that.. so I'm going to buy fresh fruit and veggies and ditch that.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    I think make sure that you have lean protein and fruits but really eat the food that you like in the right portions so that you can keep it up. I've lost the weight that I wanted to lose and still eaten all my favorite foods. Of course I work out a lot and eat the calories back that I burn. Good Luck!
  • CourtneyB610
    CourtneyB610 Posts: 384
    Thank you very much! Whenever I think about cutting back my portions, I always just assume that I'll be really hungry. Lol. I'm def. going to try that!
  • funicello
    funicello Posts: 21 Member
    When you cut back on your portions of higher calories foods - always start your meals with a large salad / veggie dish. Make it low cal - don't add a lot of dressings / meat / cheese / croutons, etc. This way you will be full from the veggies but can still enjoy a small taste of whatever it is that you don't want to give up.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Eat high protein foods to control your appetite and increase satiation. Sugary, simple carb rich foods like cereal will leave you feeling hungry after an hour or two.

Try eating mostly low fat cheese, eggs, avocados, nut butters, lean meats, nuts, greek yogurt, fruits and veggies.

For exercise, weight lifting is the best kind of exercise for fat loss and body recomposition. It burns more calories over time than cardio, preserves your lean body mass and I at least find it much more fun and satisfying than chugging away one an elliptical. Look up a proven beginner program like Strong Lifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for a good way to start lifting.