Am I the only one not trying to lose weight?

Options
aprilt83
aprilt83 Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone, new member here!

When I tell people that I'm working out they all say WHY? You don't need to lose weight! And they're right, the number on the scale is where it should be.

I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to be in shape, to run a mile without feeling like I'm about to die. I'd really love to lower my body fat and gain muscle so NO my goal is not to lose weight.

My biggest problem is that all the workout programs I find are geared toward losing weight, not gaining muscle. I'm not new to the gym scene but I still feel like I'm not getting the results that I want.

Have any other ladies out there tried to gaining muscle but not losing weight?

Replies

• goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm doing both. My main focus is to be in the best shape possible. So, if that means gaining weight, then that's fine. That being said, currently I am trying to lose another 6lbs of fat. So, I am watching what I eat and my work-outs reflect this. I do full body work-outs 2-3 times a week and the rest is cardio. I am working on lean muscle mass as I am focusing on being in 'race' shape for speed skating. I hope that my legs become big and muscular instead of medium and squishy!!
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also decided I wasn't so concerned about weight, but more about health, body fat percentage, and muscle mass. I decided to break it up into cutting and bulking periods. Right now I'm cutting--losing the fat with a low-calorie diet and some cardio every day--and once I've reached my goal, I'll start a slow bulk--eating a little bit above my daily caloric needs and doing weight training (and some cardio) to build muscle.

I don't know how feasible it is/what approach to take in order to do both at the same time most effectively. But it generally can't hurt to exercise, so even if you don't want to separate your journey into cutting/bulking, exercise anyway!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight anymore. I've been maintaining for over a year. But why would people think the only reason to work out is to lose weight? Everyone should exercise no matter what their weight.