Daily sugar intake

Options
So I just changed my settings on my food diary to add sugar and sodium. My sugar allowance for the day is 24! Does this seem right? After breakfast I already went over my goal. Grr...maybe this is where my problem lies. Too much sugar in my diet! Im just stunned cuz this doesnt seem like much

Replies

• kattymatt
    kattymatt Posts: 20
    Options
    I have the same number for sugar and I think every day since I started I have been over on sugars! Not any help, but I just wanted to tell you I feel the same way and am trying to research foods and drinks with less sugar.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So I just changed my settings on my food diary to add sugar and sodium. My sugar allowance for the day is 24! Does this seem right? After breakfast I already went over my goal. Grr...maybe this is where my problem lies. Too much sugar in my diet! Im just stunned cuz this doesnt seem like much

A lot of users find the sugar grams too restrictive, particularly if they eat a lot of fruit. Personally, I'm working to eliminate refined sugars - so I still follow this measurement but assess it based on my foods for the day. Ex: if I had a banana and some grapes I'll probably go over, but I won't be concerned.

You'll generally find that anything marketed as "fat free" has a LOT of added sugar. I also find that the Kashi products are too high in sugar for me (I don't even enjoy the taste).

If it's a choice between something with added sugar and a piece of fruit, I'll take the piece of fruit - because in general it's packaged up with better stuff (fibre, vitamins etc).
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi had a quick peek at your diary, your breakfasts are really high in sugar who would have thought that much sugar in milk!
    Also the fruit is high in sugar but I wouldnt worry too much about that as at least it is full of nutrition
    If you want to add me as your friend you can look at my diary we have similar amounts to lose.
    I tend to keep fruit as a dessert now, when I joined Mfp I had breakfast of fruit nearly everyday and wasn't watching my macros, I am getting better at this now
    Good luck with your losses
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts :) Thought something was wrong haha but guess not. Looks like I need to tweek some things and try to stay away from refined sugars.

Thanks again!!!