Just had my consultation for bariatric surgery...

Options

Replies

• sara1205
    Options
    Have had gastric sleeving myself this year. People complain about overweight/obese people and their toll on the healthcare system and then they complain when these same people pay for surgery out of their own pockets in order to lose that weight and live a better life.

She wasn't asking for your opinion about WLS (which is usually "my aunt's cousin's friend's neighbour told me.....") so why do you feel the need to give her your 'expertise'.

If you would like support, feel free to add me :)
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Had Roux-en Y gastric bypass done in May of 2006. Wish I would have learned how to eat properly instead. I lost almost two hundred pounds, then gained back 44. I am now learning to eat healthy. Would I do it again, yes I believe it saved my life. One thing you have to remember is that it is not a "fix all" it's a tool for you to learn to control your eating.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all the best for the surgery and giving you a big hug.
    It's a tough decision and you are very brave.

Keep us posted. :)

ETA: this is a generic advice, but I think it applies to here as well: don't be scared or ashamed to ask any question to your doctors. Any doubt or question you may have, ask away, I am sure they will be hapy to answer to every question and explain all the details about the before - during - after surgery.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Are you a dietician?
    Are you a doctor?
    Are you morbidly obese?
    If you answered no to these, then why are you here???

Because I don't know the stories behind WLS. I know of the procedures, but the personal side is what interests me. I like to know the stories behind the surgeries. I bear no one ill will.

We're all here to lose weight. No two people on this forum will lose it the same way. I'm not bashing WLS, but seeking out the why behind it. I truly believe it will help some people! That's why it exists!
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Only you know what is right for you. Good luck with your surgery and weight loss!!!! :):):)
  • ManjNoora
    Options
    it is not a "fix all" it's a tool for you to learn to control your eating.

I totally agree.
    After years of battling with weight, and being advised to cut out gluten, stop drinking cows milk, eat lots of protein, no dont eat protein eat lots of veg, dont eat cards, no eat brown rice, eating becomes a battlefield and a stressful time.

I did lose my way with what to eat.
    Having met with the Bariatric team and nutritionists and having done a ton of research into post and pre operative eating, foods, eating plans and regimes, the weight is finally beginning to go in the right direction.

Im currently on the Liver shrinking diet, which teamed together with my regular cardio exercise of cycling and weight resistance training, is working.

I can't wait for the op!
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All those that have issues with the surgery are those that have either NEVER struggled to lose weight or that have not educated themselves on the pros and cons of the surgery. Many of these people do not understand the steps we take before we have the surgery. It's not just walk into a place and then next week we are on the table. I really wish those that have never had the surgery would keep their negative opinions to themselves. With any surgery there are complications and we have all had someone that has had a bad experience.
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Most dr's want you to lose 10% of your body weight before surgery. So it's not like she has to drop a punch. It is done to help shrink the liver before surgery.
    To the Op, and this is a serious question I am not attacking you in anyway. You are going to try losing weight prior to your surgery. And I know that some are terrified about not being able to accomplish something this huge, and I am totally not discounting the fact that you do or do not need the surgery its an honest curious point for me. I know the surgery is just a tool for the most part, so in 10 months if you are 50 pounds down will you continue to pursue the surgery or will you drop it and try to continue this on your own?

Either way good luck on whatever you choose to do, and please do a lot of research before you go under the knife, I know there are tons of very informative and helpful forums and sites out there that can help you out with everything you need/want to know about what can and will happen to you.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    My wife had gastric bypass over 10 years ago. If anyone is considering it, pm me and I'll tell you her pros and cons.
  • kellyk2511
    kellyk2511 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone giving her support, since that is what she came here for. I am also in the beginning stages of pre op. I will have RNY done by March. I cannot believe how critical and judgmental some people are. Good luck to you. How did all of your pre op testing go? So far Ive had my cardiac clearance and I have my lung & psych this week.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the last time I was at the doc, he suggested this too. That was my wake up call that made me realized, I need to really work my *kitten* off to NOT have to get surgery.

I have PCOS, which makes losing weight an even bigger hassle than most have ever had.

I started EATING CLEAN (no processed junk or anything altered by MAN), smaller portions, and getting at least 60-90 min of exercise EVERYDAY! I know it seems tedious, but I'd rather pay 60-90 min a day and be kinda sore then PAY 15,000-30,000 or more for surgery where I'd have to eat the same way and exercise the same as if I didn't have the surgery.

Please try this out for the 10 months and RECONSIDER. The risks aren't worth it. If this doesn't work (which would be odd, b/c with someone with PCOS, it's been working for me), then go on with it.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight whilst waiting for surgery and do try so,it will be sooo much safer for the surgery,it will get you used to the lifestyle you have to lead afterwards and it will give you a great head start also!! i managed to lose over 100lb on my own before surgery(even cancelled it at one point) but still had it done for reasons of my own
    good luck x :bigsmile:
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a person that had a weight loss surgery that did not put all the weight back on in a year. I am not trying to be mean, just honest. Do MFP for a year, but really do it. Commit ,good bad or otherwise, log it and be honest with yourself. This process is simple, but its not necessarily easy. Cut fast food, and processed food. As painful as it may be, move your body more. Good luck, you can do anything that you "commit" to doing.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    My sister worked for University Hospitals in Cleveland and said after seeing all the stats she would NEVER EVER recommend anyone every have any weight loss surgery. The surgical stats scared her so bad she hired a private nutritionist and personal trainer and lost 150lbs, surgery free.

Oh.. and she is 5'4" with a start weight of almost 400 lbs, had been overweight all her life and didn't even do this til she was 45 when most people say they can't lose weight because of their age.

Thank you for this. It was suggested that I have the surgery, but FOR ME, I needed to take responsibility for my life and what I had done to myself. So I did it. I lost weight the slooooowwww way. And without the complications and restrictions of WLS. WLS would not have worked for me because I have such an emotional attachment to food. It wasn't just, "I got fat because I ate too much".
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I have never seen a person that had a weight loss surgery that did not put all the weight back on in a year. I am not trying to be mean, just honest. Do MFP for a year, but really do it. Commit ,good bad or otherwise, log it and be honest with yourself. This process is simple, but its not necessarily easy. Cut fast food, and processed food. As painful as it may be, move your body more. Good luck, you can do anything that you "commit" to doing.
    my wife had it over ten years ago, has lost over 150# and hasn't put it back on.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    All those that have issues with the surgery are those that have either NEVER struggled to lose weight or that have not educated themselves on the pros and cons of the surgery. Many of these people do not understand the steps we take before we have the surgery. It's not just walk into a place and then next week we are on the table. I really wish those that have never had the surgery would keep their negative opinions to themselves. With any surgery there are complications and we have all had someone that has had a bad experience.

What she said. I totally agree.
  • lilpenguin
    lilpenguin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My fiance was over 400 lbs when we started fitness pal 10 mos ago and has lost almost 130 lbs in that time. It is a lifestyle change you have to make and keep forever! The key is exercise and eat the right foods. That's not to say you can't indulge occasionally, I recommend it. Just never lose sight of your goals. It is very important to have a good support team also. Good luck to you you're not alone :D
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I wish you good health and success with any weight loss choice that you make. Only you can make the decision for yourself and know what will be the right decision for YOU. I don't know alot about WLS, I haven't done any research on the topic but I know weight loss is difficult, and isn't only about calorie goals, its also about improving mental health aswell.
    I think WLS could be a great tool in helping achieve weight loss and prevent/reverse adverse health conditions. If you need supportive friends, feel free to send me an invite. I am 22yo also.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I personally know 3 people who have kept the weight off. Each had a serious, personal reason for having the surgery. No one took the decision lightly. All of them tried (like just about everyone else on here) repeatedly to lose weight and keep it off. Then they tried surgery. For those three it has been worth it, I'd say. Should they have tried ONE MORE TIME to lose weight and keep it off? I'll let them be the judge of that.

I also have a friend who had the surgery and promptly went back to her old eating habits. Again, like lots of folks on here who never had WLS. She returned to the bad habits that made keeping the weight off impossible. She's now fat with a scar. It happens.

To the posters who tell "horror stories" about people who became alcohol or sex addicts after WLS: I know someone who became a slut after giving up booze. Is it therefore bad for an alcoholic to stop drinking? No. Of course not. It's simply a reminder that addictive behaviours are hard to conquer and need to be focused on as well.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I personally know 3 people who have kept the weight off. Each had a serious, personal reason for having the surgery. No one took the decision lightly. All of them tried (like just about everyone else on here) repeatedly to lose weight and keep it off. Then they tried surgery. For those three it has been worth it, I'd say. Should they have tried ONE MORE TIME to lose weight and keep it off? I'll let them be the judge of that.

I also have a friend who had the surgery and promptly went back to her old eating habits. Again, like lots of folks on here who never had WLS. She returned to the bad habits that made keeping the weight off impossible. She's now fat with a scar. It happens.

To the posters who tell "horror stories" about people who became alcohol or sex addicts after WLS: I know someone who became a slut after giving up booze. Is it therefore bad for an alcoholic to stop drinking? No. Of course not. It's simply a reminder that addictive behaviours are hard to conquer and need to be focused on as well.

What people seem to forget when speaking negatively about the results of surgery that " my friend" had is that it was the person who failed, not the surgery. It's no different than......having knee surgery and then trying to go run a 5k three days after the surgery and then blaming that surgery when you end up in pain after 10 steps. Wasn't the surgery that caused the issue.

Some of these people seem to think surgery is some magic fix all, it isn't. In fact, it's probably harder after surgery than before. When you over eat before surgery all you have to worry about is guilt and maybe gaining a pound or two. Not true after surgery. You have to make protein a priority. You can't eat a great deal of sugar or even items that process like sugar. It's far from "the easy way out".