Freaking myself out.

Options
Ok, 7 months ago I had major surgery due to an accident. I had to have my chest cut open in order to stop bleeding ...

Although it has been 7 months, and the Dr's say I should be healed completely and to try and live my life normally, just be careful.
I'm worried to try certain workouts! Sure everything is still super tender, and the Dr's tell me it will be that way for a while. But just push myself.
I walk a lot. But cannot seem to push myself to do something really challenging. I tell myself everyday that it will be the day I push myself more, and do a different form of workout. But then when I'm up the next day, if I'm not working, I have little energy... and I just push it off till the next day and the next, so on and so forth! When I do try, I don't do much cause I worry about pain... Or (cracking my chest open again.).... I know I need to get over it... but... It's hard.:frown:

Does anyone know of anything that can help with energy? I already take vitamins and B12.

Thanks for any and all adice and support! :)

Replies

• taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are you anemic at all? That's why I had/have such little energy. I am on iron supplements now recommended by my diary. I'm sure after 7 months, it will take some time for your body to adjust. Don't worry, just keep moving forward! do a little more than you did the previous day and pretty soon exercise starts giving you tons of energy. You will feel wonderful.
  • italiankrystal26
    Options
    Thankyou. No as best to my knowledge I'm not anemic. I think it could be just from coming off the meds I was on and getting myself up and about, starting work again...etc..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Have you considered talking to a counselor. It sounds like you may have a mild case of PTSD from the trauma of your accident and the subsequent surgery.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You say you walk a lot....maybe you should try taking a class if available in your area. Like an aerobics class. I started taking classes last fall and I was soooo tired. I didn't know how I would ever get in shape or make it through them. Now about 10 months later, I can't get enough! I Love the challenge! I am still anemic and deal with energy drains, but I feel so much better. The added benefit of classes is that you have people counting on you to be there! For me, it's easy to say no to myself, but not so much if I know other people will see I didn't go to class. :) Something to think about. Even if you don't sign up for a class, maybe get a workout buddy. It's great to have someone with the same goals as you.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    For me, a day or two of solid sleep, and coffee work miracles. Probably this advice is no good to you though...

I'd suggest signing up for a low impact exercise class. something you can do with varying degrees of intensity, like yoga, or bellydance, maybe even aquarobics... a bit more exercise should give you better sleep and therefore more energy.

good luck
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My son was shot and had to have surgery (lower abdominal area) and let me tell you it was quite some time before he could work out at all. At least a full year if I remember correctly. Take your time and allow your body to tell you when its ready to do something more than walking. One thing that I have learned from being here only a short time is "slow and steady wins the race".
    Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You could always try some kind of dance excercise. Like jazzercise or zumba or something. That's a bit more of a higher aerobic work out. But if you experience any kind of pain or discomfort in your chest, listen to your body and pause. You could also try biking. It can be slow and enjoyable, or high cardio and it doesn't involve too much in terms of moving your upper body. But most importantly, just do what is the best for you. You have to push yourself sometimes, but keep listening to your body if you think you're pushing too hard!

Also, for energy, they say wheat grass is excellent at that. Or you can try drinking the naked juice/Bolthouse Farm green goodness juice. It tastes amazing and gives a nice little all natural energy kick! :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Just thought of this, my husband tells me it took probably over a year for the anesthesia from his back surgery to get out of his system. he'd have random moments when he'd literally break out in sweats or dizzy etc.
    If you're still talking to your doctors, you can ask them about the possibility of that being a drain on your energy.

My low energy spells usually let me know i am back to being depressed. I never realized that's what it was until a bipolar friend of mine pointed it out...
  • italiankrystal26
    Options
    Thankyou for all the tips and advice! :) It is greatly appreciated!
    A few of my family members and friends were mentioning PTSD earlier this week, they were like "It is a possible thing, you did go through a Big Trama!"
    So when you mentioned that, it kinda has me wondering. But I completely understand the meds thing too! I was in a medical induced coma when everything happened... Also the surgery was on my Coratid Artery. I had to go get a biopsy done to check to see if I had lymphoma, and while the dr was doing the proceedure, he accidently cut the artery! So I pretty much bled out, and by the time I was airlifted to the nearest hospital (due to the one I was in wasn't prepared for such an emergency) I had died, but was brought back!

So the dr's are telling me that my body will take time to come back from all of it... I just really wish it would hurry up! haha
    I get random moments of energy, but then crash... I don't drink coffee. Mainly water and tea... Sometime Diet soda, but not usually.
    Again, Thankyou all so much for the awesome info!
    I appreciate it! :)