what "safe food" do you order when you eat out?

Options

Replies

• cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i usually just go for a big salad with chicken or shrimp (make sure no fried meat - seriously how crazy is that). i don't skip the cheese or bacon b/c it's delicious, but i feel better about eating all the veggies and i don't have that nasty full feeling after.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    A small cut of leaner steak and broccoli or veggies. I also have MFP on my bf's smartphone, so if we're at a chain I can check.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A house salad with dressing on the side is pretty much always a safe bet, albeit a boring one. Grilled meat or fish with a side of veggies is also a good choice.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I usually order a grilled chicken salad without the garbage and I bring my own pre-measured salad dressing. I also get burgers without the bun...usually they note the weight for the patties.
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    I order whatever I want to eat when I eat out. I don't do it often, so I don't worry about the calories. I log as accurately as I can when I get home and if I'm over, I work harder the next day.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I try to go to places that have a low cal section. Famous Dave's has yummy stuff :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to be good I'll go with the grilled chicken, baked potato with a side of cottage cheese and some veggies...wash down with a glass of wine. If it one of those time I just don't care....penne pasta with vodka sauce, tossed house salad and lot's of crusty yummy bread dipped in olive oil topped with parmesan cheese....wash down with a martini!!!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work my butt off at the gym that day, and then treat myself (within moderation) But if I'm going to burn 800-1200 calories, you'd better believe I'm going to enjoy eating those calories back!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Grilled salmon, chicken, or shrimp. Salad, or a complex carb (sweet potatoes are becoming very popular), and a roasted or steamed veggie. Ask for no bread basket and dressing on the side.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from all dressings! They are a calorie KILLER! Try balsamic vinegar, or take your own.
  • duckfloats
    duckfloats Posts: 30
    Options
    Google and see if the company has a website. One of my local places has 5 stores only. But I found nutritional info on their website.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have a fresh fish meal that is light on sauce and comes with the basic two sides. I usually order the fish (where I live its generally salmon or trout in the summer) a baked potato with a small amount of salted margarine on the side and DOUBLE the seasonal vegetables they offer. Generally I can't even finish half the potato by the time I'm done everything else, but it feels like a treat to order it anyways (and most of the places so far have thrown in the extra veg for free from what I've noticed).

EDIT: I ask for the fish fire grilled if they have the option, maximum flavour and no oils needed for cooking.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken or steak with salad (dressing on the side) and steamed or grilled veggies
    Grilled chicken salad (again dressing on the side)
    Chicken, steak or shrimp fajitas (I eat the meat and veggies only, no tortillas or extras)
    Soup and salad

Applebee's has some great under 550 calorie selections and other restaurants have great low calorie offerings, too. If you know where you are going, you can look up there nutrition online (for chain restaurants) and decide what you want before hand.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    And always ask for any grilled item to be grilled “dry”. Otherwise, they’ll grill it in butter/margarine or vegetable oil tossed on the grill.
  • Jasefrank
    Jasefrank Posts: 1
    Options
    just choose a salad with light dressing.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I don't have one specific safe food per say...

I just order smart.

I look for words like "grilled" or "boiled". I order lots of veggies and ask to not put butter or ask if they marinate it in oil of anykind. Dressings must be fat free and if does not come in fat free then I place it on the side and dunk my veggies vs. pouring it all of my salad to save on calories.

As far as tracking it can be difficult and it's hard to make it perfect so if I can't that's fine, I start over the next day but still feel good knowing I made good choices, other wise I guestimate.

Good Luck :heart:
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I try to order whatever I want but either only eat half of it and take the rest home for lunch the next day (requires some willpower) or I'll share something with my dad
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I don't get tricked by salads that often hide many calories in the dressing, and if you omit the dressing then its unlikely the salad will be any good (in most places) due to the lack of vegetable variation and imagination in most restaurant/cafe salads.

Bit of mouldy lettuce + few bits of carrot= salad to some places

No thanks.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that sound or look appealing to you on the menu, make your best guess on how many cals if you want to log it. If it happens to put you over your cals, so be it, enjoy the food and get on track the next day

this.

its hard to make it a lifestyle change when you over think things constantly.

that said, I look for more protein, not fried.. and not tons of empty carbs....

^^ All this
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This is really neat!

My only problem with this is that I'm really bad at estimating sizes, distances, ages, etc. lol!

But definitely anything grilled is better than fried. I typically go for a piece of grilled chicken with a side salad and dressing on the side.