Got Hair-Do?

Options
IStop4Stamps
IStop4Stamps Posts: 17 Member
If you aren't African American, and/or a Professional Hair Stylist, then you won't understand this post -so stop reading now (smiles)!

Part of my "makeover" this year is to re-do my look; weight, clothing, and hair! And so far, hair is the hardest!

I live on the Eastside of Seattle and I'm PISSED OFF at what's available for the African American community here! Let me start by saying that I love the "treat" associated with going to get your hair done. I adore beauty palors that give you a robe and tea with your session, and treat you special until you walk out beautiful (the extra price is worth it to me - as the entire experience is a special "reward" for me). However, over here that is not the typical experience in the African American owned salons. Although African American salons will do the very best hair styling (no lie - they do know what they are doing!!) the experience is no fun - and too time consuming! I actually have little time for the "me" things. Granted that's a problem in itself, but I can't afford to sit in a salon for 4 hours. I notice that the salons who cater to Aftican American's tend to have each stylist working on 4 people or more at one time! Which means I spend A LOT of time sitting and waiting my turn. Boo hiss! The spa element that exists in the higher end salons is missing too, as can be the appearence of the shop and the tools they use. (Once I actually bought the stylist a new hair dryer (which the shop sold) because her's was in such sad shape!)

Two questions for anyone that understands where I'm coming from - whether you agree or disagree:

1. Do you know of good shops on the Eastside of Seattle? Please let me know. Currently I go to Gene Juarez and Seven (Seven does not do relaxers) - and I love them - but they definitely aren't experts at African American Hair Styling. I leave there with the same look every time - even when I say I'm looking for something new. No suggestions, no new ideas, no new product introductions.

2. Do you agree with my opinion here? Maybe it's just me?

Thanks,
Audrie