Stregnth training to build muscle

Hey! I'll make this short. I would like to build muscle. I go to the gym 6 days a week alternating days between legs and arms. My legs are coming along nicely, but I need help with the arms. I have zero upper body strength, and I want to change that. I do the weight machines, but i'm wondering if that is enough or should I be doing free weights? Also, when should a person move up in weight? I want to make sure I do this properly as to avoid injury as well as get some kick *kitten* arms from it..

Thank you!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Hey! I'll make this short. I would like to build muscle. I go to the gym 6 days a week alternating days between legs and arms. My legs are coming along nicely, but I need help with the arms. I have zero upper body strength, and I want to change that. I do the weight machines, but i'm wondering if that is enough or should I be doing free weights? Also, when should a person move up in weight? I want to make sure I do this properly as to avoid injury as well as get some kick *kitten* arms from it..

Thank you!
    Unless you're a returning athlete from a long layoff, very overweight/obese or a newbie whose NEVER trained with resistance before, building muscle on a calorie deficit is practically impossible. To build muscle is to add tissue. To do this you need a surplus since muscle can't be built from nothing.
    Free weights are the preferred method to do it because you have better ROM, and incorporate more neuromuscular activity which intern will not only strengthen muscle, but having the ability to overload the muscle to help it grow.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    It is true you can't build real muscle on a cut, but you can "sculpt" (for lack of better words) your arms. Get on a good strength training program, and lift as heavy as you can. Then make sure you eat enough protein (1 gram per pound of lean body weight is optimal). My upper body was the easiest to build up actually, as I was already pretty lean there. I do a 4-day split, one day legs, one day back, one day shoulders, and one day arms/abs.
  • Start doing squats and deadlifts, but make sure you learn how to do them correctly. Do some additional reading - Starting Strength and Practical Programming are great books.

Really, make sure you learn how to do these exercises before you just start doing them. If you get the form down, you won't get hurt, but you'll get great results.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    It is true you can't build real muscle on a cut, but you can "sculpt" (for lack of better words) your arms. Get on a good strength training program, and lift as heavy as you can. Then make sure you eat enough protein (1 gram per pound of lean body weight is optimal). My upper body was the easiest to build up actually, as I was already pretty lean there. I do a 4-day split, one day legs, one day back, one day shoulders, and one day arms/abs.
    so whats the difference between a sculpted muscle and a built one exactly??
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    What about this? Bulking and Cutting Myth: http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/

Personally I am doing the New Rules Of Lifting for Women. I'm eating at a small surplus.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Strong lift 5X5 :you wil build strength, you may not see any musele mass increase for a while but you will gain usable strength.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    legs and arms, huh? what happened to shoulders, chest and back?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    legs and arms, huh? what happened to shoulders, chest and back?

^^^ this.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    so whats the difference between a sculpted muscle and a built one exactly??

I hate these words. I know they aren't right, but I don't know how else to describe it.

We all know you can't "build" at a deficit. But you can lean out your muscles and get a sculpted look.

Also, I agree with the others, you need to work chest, back, and shoulders to get a lean 'sculpted' look as well.

I consider her to be built. Obviously lifting heavy and (at some point) bulking with extra calories.

built.jpg

I consider her to have lean, sculpted muscle. When I'm flexing/working out I look like her for the most part. I know I can't have much muscle because I haven't been eating extra calories, but it is a lean look that can be attained by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy.

lean.jpg
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member

built.jpg

This is almost unachievable without ridiculous training, diet, and possibly steroids.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    building muscle on a calorie deficit is practically impossible. To build muscle is to add tissue. To do this you need a surplus since muscle can't be built from nothing.

True but don;t let this stop you from lifting. You will still benefit from it, you'll be firmer and stronger. Get away from the machines, lift free weights. Check out the following book: "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" It will give you a great program, and I believe there is a MFP group devoted to it as well.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247

built.jpg

This is almost unachievable without ridiculous training, diet, and possibly steroids.

I COMPLETELY disagree with you.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I started this program in December, just as a means to be able to do something with my hubby in the gym and get him into lifting weights. I fell in love with it. I have since finished the 12 week program, but have now built up my own schedule that works well.