I think my Wife is sabotaging me

Options
Man, I blew it today. I had a good breakfast this morning. Then my wife made enchiladas with rice and beans for lunch (left overs from last night which I didn't eat because I was working out late). I had no idea what the calories were going to be. But after I ate, I started to log what I just finished consuming. I was shell shocked!! For 3 cheese enchiladas with rice and beans on the side, I ate 1676 calories! That's not a typo. My daily calorie goal is 1780. Add the breakfast I had this morning and I'm already in the hole by about 600 calories. I guess there's no dinner for me tonight. And I still have to work out again today to burn the 600 calories I'm over. Damn I hate Mexican food, except when it's in front of me.

Replies

• jvball21
    Options
    Man, I blew it today. I had a good breakfast this morning. Then my wife made enchiladas with rice and beans for lunch (left overs from last night which I didn't eat because I was working out late). I had no idea what the calories were going to be. But after I ate, I started to log what I just finished consuming. I was shell shocked!! For 3 cheese enchiladas with rice and beans on the side, I ate 1676 calories! That's not a typo. My daily calorie goal is 1780. Add the breakfast I had this morning and I'm already in the hole by about 600 calories. I guess there's no dinner for me tonight. And I still have to work out again today to burn the 600 calories I'm over. Damn I hate Mexican food, except when it's in front of me.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Be careful of "skipping" meals, as this can make your body react negatively. I have to admit, mexican food is something I stay away from, pretty much all of the time. There are ways of lightening the meals, but it does take away from the flavor. As for your wife, I can't help you there. I would recommend a sit down and deep discussion with her. Asking for support would be my first approach. Letting her in on how you log food and what the calorie amounts are may help

All the best!
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your logging it correctly? What does she put in her enchiladas? I make them and I use corn tortillas, shredded rotiserrie (sp) chicken, Cheddar cheese green chilis and las palmas enchilada sauce and they only come out to like 650 calories for two (including the oil I fry the tortillas in) before beans and rice. They cant possibly be that bad. Maybe theres a mistake in the database for the ingredients your using.

Ps I put the Chicken Enchilads in the database awhile ago. It is under Chicken Enchilads (home-made) It is for two torts, 6oz roasted chicken, 1/4 sauce and 2 0z of cheese. It is way more than enough to make two enchilads. Add a tortilla and you could make three with this recipe. (It also includes the oil if you use it)
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    maybe she's logging the ingredients for 4 servings instead of what you ate.
    I make a mean chicken enchilada.... shredded chicken breast mixed with 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cilantro and salsa verde. roll it in a tortilla (a tortilla that gets dunked in broth so it's easy to roll), put a little shredded cheese on top with some cayenne pepper,bake it and it's 466 cals with 10 grms of fat. the serving size is 1 enchilada but they're HUGE.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

Don't be too hard on yourself or the wife. It happens. I can't always write down, or figure calories etc. for what I eat. It's time consuming. After you've been logging for awhile you will know what to eat and portions etc. It gets easier. And you needed to see that nutrition information - that's how we start to hone our eating skills. Maybe just a sprinkle of cheese next time, NO sour cream, extra salsa and spicy! A little guac is ok, and so are vegetarian refried beans. It's the animal fat that will get you.

I found some really good whole wheat tortillas at all the big grocery chains:

Nutrition Facts
    *LA TORTILLA - Low Carb Low Fat Garlic & Herb Tortilla Servings: of 1 tortilla 1 serving(s) (1 tortilla ea.) 1 container (12 tortillas ea.)
    Calories50Sodium180 mgTotal Fat2 gPotassium0 mg Saturated0 gTotal Carbs11 g Polyunsaturated1 g Dietary Fiber8 g Monounsaturated1 g Sugars0 g Trans0 gProtein5 gCholesterol0 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium6 %Vitamin C0 %Iron2 %

Nutrition Facts
    LA TORTILLA FACTORY - (Smart & Delicious) Whole Wheat Tortilla Servings: of 1 tortilla 1 serving(s) (1 tortilla ea.) 1 container (10 tortillas ea.)
    Calories50Sodium210 mgTotal Fat2 gPotassium20 mg Saturated0 gTotal Carbs10 g Polyunsaturated1 g Dietary Fiber7 g Monounsaturated1 g Sugars0 g Trans0 gProtein5 gCholesterol0 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium4 %Vitamin C0 %Iron6 %

La Tortilla also has the same tortilla with green onion flavor. Just don't fry them: instead heat them in the oven.

Hope that helps.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    maybe she's logging the ingredients for 4 servings instead of what you ate.
    I make a mean chicken enchilada.... shredded chicken breast mixed with 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cilantro and salsa verde. roll it in a tortilla (a tortilla that gets dunked in broth so it's easy to roll), put a little shredded cheese on top with some cayenne pepper,bake it and it's 466 cals with 10 grms of fat. the serving size is 1 enchilada but they're HUGE.

Thats an awesome idea! :tongue: I usually fry then for a second so they dont tear. I am sooooo gonna try the broth! Do you heat it first?
  • jvball21
    Options
    The enchiladas are pretty accurate (about 325 cal each). I might have over estimated the rice and beans. It looked liked like about 1.5 cups each. It could possibly be a little less but not by much. I was just jesting about the sabotage. But I was shocked at the total calories involved. My wife is a great cook and I pretty much clean the plate of anything she cooks. That's part of the reason for being overweight. I really need to start looking up the foods she normally cooks and cutting down on the portions a bit.
  • AndreaMMil
    Options

Thats an awesome idea! :tongue: I usually fry then for a second so they dont tear. I am sooooo gonna try the broth! Do you heat it first?

yup. i put about a cup in a fry or saute pan... dunk it through with tongs (maybe 4 seconds) then put it on a paper towel.... stuff it, roll it & put it in a pan coated with cooking spray... throw on a little cheese then i bake it at 350 for 15 minutes. the chicken is already cooked but it melts the cheese and gives it a chance to mingle.
    :drinker:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The enchiladas are pretty accurate (about 325 cal each). I might have over estimated the rice and beans. It looked liked like about 1.5 cups each. It could possibly be a little less but not by much. I was just jesting about the sabotage. But I was shocked at the total calories involved. My wife is a great cook and I pretty much clean the plate of anything she cooks. That's part of the reason for being overweight. I really need to start looking up the foods she normally cooks and cutting down on the portions a bit.

Yeah, rice particularly you really have to watch. When I have it I limit myself to half a cup.