no/low carb ideas

Options
I am sure this has been beaten to death on here, but I need some help. i am changing things up to hopefully have some more success, and have decided to try low carb as a possibility.

yesterday, I ate only 21g of carbs. Felt pretty good! I am looking for a list of creative low carb choices for snacks that are not meat. I had a couple of hotdogs last night when I would normally eat cereal. needless to say, that was a bit weird.

Any ideas? i have to go grocery shopping this evening, so now would be a great time to stock th cupboards with some good choices

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    eggs cooked anyway you like

cheese 3-4 ounces daily of full-fat firm, firm, soft and semi-soft including
    Cheddar
    cream cheese
    mozzarella
    swiss ( I usually buy the pepper jack cheese sticks)

salad vegetables 2-3 cups daily
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents before my suggestions...if you exercise you may want to consider going higher than 20g of carbs a day. Low is fine, but too low may cause you to not have enough energy.
    green veggies
    nuts
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    any kind of berry is a low carb fruit
    avocado

I suggest looking at the South Beach Diet book. It isn't as extreme on low carbs as others like atkins, but does have you eating low the first couple weeks so you can find suggestions in there.
  • wannabethinner
    Options
    Make tuna salad and use bbq pork rinds as crackers. This was my all time favorite supper! I also would make egg salad and eat it warm. Be careful of the cheese while it is low carb, it does prevent other functions, and this is no good.
  • Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options
    Well it really depends on what you like, but for example, i can eat spinach by itself lol. The "cooked, drained, with salt" kind hehe. If i'm not mistaken 1 cup of that is like 7g of carbs in total and 5g of proteins
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Try:

Protein Power Lifeplan - Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades
    Any George Stella Low Carb cookbooks

Regarding energy levels, it varies highly on the person. Our carb demands vary widely from person to person. Where one person could have little energy on 21 carbs, it may be ideal for another.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    All home made:
    Egg Salad
    Tuna Salad
    Chicken Salad

Full fat cheese
    Full Fat Greek Yogurt , Fage brand (only 7 grams of carbs in a whole cup, you will be filled up)

I know you said no meat, but that is a good way to get protein in with 0 carbs............Eat fatty cuts of meat. Fat on a ribeye, YUM..........crispy chicken skin, YUMMO!!!

There are lots of Vegetables that have very little carbs and you can subtract the fiber and have more. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Just my 2 cents before my suggestions...if you exercise you may want to consider going higher than 20g of carbs a day. Low is fine, but too low may cause you to not have enough energy.
    green veggies
    nuts
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    any kind of berry is a low carb fruit
    avocado

I suggest looking at the South Beach Diet book. It isn't as extreme on low carbs as others like atkins, but does have you eating low the first couple weeks so you can find suggestions in there.

South Beach is 20 grams of carbs for the first 2 weeks right along with Atkins, there are not that many differences between the 2 plans..............

It is only for 2 weeks and it is only so low to get rid of sugar and starchy cravings.........

After 2 weeks on Atkins, you start adding in more carbs and climb what Dr. Atkins called the carb ladder.............

South Beach is a low fat version of Atkins..........The 2 main differences between Atkins and South Beach is 1. SB is lower fat and 2. Atkins has you add foods in 1 at a time to see if you are subject to any food allergies.
  • meatball
    meatball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    so far, no energy issues. I do exercise a lot and haven't bonked yet on this diet. I am hoping that my fat metabolism machinery is working better than some since I do a lot of cycling over long distances and that is the key to keeping going...

I will give some of your ideas a shot. Thank you.

What seems weird is that they say only 20 grams, regardless of individual size or weight.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    so far, no energy issues. I do exercise a lot and haven't bonked yet on this diet. I am hoping that my fat metabolism machinery is working better than some since I do a lot of cycling over long distances and that is the key to keeping going...

I will give some of your ideas a shot. Thank you.

What seems weird is that they say only 20 grams, regardless of individual size or weight.

Size and weight has nothing to do with unstabile insulin production. The 20 grams of carbs per day is to break the sweet cravings that we have with sugary, starchy, bready foods............insulin production is stabilized and we are burning our own body fat.

As long as the carbs you are getting are from good quality sources (veggies, nuts, fruit) and you are getting qualtiy protein and adequate natural fats, you will have tons of energy.

I have found that I only lack energy on low carb when I am not eating enough to fuel my body.