If stress adds weight......

Options
....i'm gonna be fat forever.

Anyone know of any de-stress tips? I tried a yoga dvd but i feel like an idiot pretzel.
Anyway, any tips would be awesome.

Replies

• bharris9
    Options
    I work in a very stressful job, and one thing I have been able to do is meditation. I know it sounds dumb and holistic but it does work. You can find a lot of tips online, but for me I just wait until my wife and little boy are asleep and then go into the living room with it being dark and lie down or sit and focus on my breathing. Only focus on your breathing then focus on not thinking of anything and keeping a clear mind. Forget about everything for a while, slow your breathing down and relax your mind. I would do that and if you are drinking anything with caffeine I would stop that a.s.a.p! That has relay helped me. Good Luck I hope this helps. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree, I meditate 4 or 5 times a week for about 20 or 30 minutes. It's great, it really does lower your stress levels. Deep breathing is a good beginner meditation technique, but you can progress to deeper, better stress reduction meditation as well, it's not very difficult and can really make you a much healthier person very quickly.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Depends on source but in general,

You need to find a time and a place where you can unwind. A place where you can focus and forget about what is stressing you. Myself, I find exercise does the trick most times. Sometimes its the gym, taking a walk, boxing, etc.. Get out with the girls or guys once a month to vent.

You also need to list what is stressing you and plan a way to difuse each one. There is always some stress in life but try to clear up the ones causing the most. Clear one up one at a time - one per week/month.

Hope this helps

:flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Exercise really helps me de-stress. I'm one of those people that can't turn there brains off very easily but, when I'm working out, I can focus on how my body feels rather then what is going on in my life. It is kind of my version of meditation.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree with above poster on meditation of some form. I tried it several years ago, but wasn't able to "shut off" my mind. So I actually lie down and by starting at my feet, work my way up & relax each body part. Its amazing how you may think when you lie down you're relaxed, but then you get to something like your thumbs & realize they are standing almost straight up in the air w/stress. Its my way of meditating/breathing but keeping my mind focused on something other than just my breathing.

I also lie down and put a tennis ball under my upper back & move it around a bit. A sports massage guy told me about this. It helps with stress I hold in my upper back. Its like giving myself a massage.

Good luck! Stress can cause all kinds of health problems so its great you're trying to do something about it.
  • jenlwren
    Options
    Ummmmm.....i have to say the best stress reliever other than running, church, meditating, is SEX and lots of it :blushing:
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    lol well sex will make my guy happy at least!
    thanks for the tips, i guess i'll try the deep breathing first and maybe some meditation when my girls go down for their naps.

yeah, downward dog just doesn't do it for me.....all i can think of is how ridiculous i feel with my big butt sticking up in the air. :laugh:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Exercise really helps me de-stress. I'm one of those people that can't turn there brains off very easily but, when I'm working out, I can focus on how my body feels rather then what is going on in my life. It is kind of my version of meditation.

I agree! I have a pretty high stress job & exercise does help me de-stress.....I just take my frustration out on the machine :p)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    lol well sex will make my guy happy at least!
    thanks for the tips, i guess i'll try the deep breathing first and maybe some meditation when my girls go down for their naps.

yeah, downward dog just doesn't do it for me.....all i can think of is how ridiculous i feel with my big butt sticking up in the air. :laugh:

I HATE downward dog, but love the seated cross legged stretches..... I don't know their names, they may not even be positions.... but I seat myself and stretch all my aching muscles and bones, breath better, and enjoy 'feeling' my body as I do those stretches. (I do this after I run.) It helps me to relax a bit.