You can't gain muscle on a deficit diet!...right?

Ben2118
Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
Hey guys,

Question for the more experienced people on here, over the last 14 months I have been on a deficit diet for I would say 90% of the time if I am honest. I have been exercising and eating what MFP tells me to (macro wise I upped my protein a lot). I have done 1 round of P90X, stopped for a bit and did my own thing, started round 2 last month and have lost nearly 70lbs.

However I have noticed a few changes, now this might be because I had/have a lot of weight to lose (over 100lbs in total) and my body can use excess energy? I don't know but I have got quite a lot stronger. Example, concentration curl when I started, 3 sets of 8 reps, last set to failure using 22lbs. Now I can do that same exercise with nearly double the weight (35lbs). Pretty sure this means I have gained muscle right?!?

Just looking for some advice and guidance really as I haven't been losing as much as I like recently but have been getting stronger. Am I doing this the wrong way round?? I have more definition in most places but I know that is probably a result of fat loss. I still have 50+lbs to go and it is mainly situated around my belly.

Should I be lifting weights less and doing more cardio? Lifting burns cals too so should I just carry on as I am and put up with the slower weight loss?

Again just fishing for ideas or some guidance.

Thanks

Ben.

Replies

• scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Gaining muscle and gaining strength aren't necessarily the same thing. You CAN gain strength while losing fat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Here is an article about how bulking and cutting may not be necessary. I'm not posting this to upset anyone. Just sharing it, so you can gather as much information as you want and make a decision that works for you. http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Getting stronger and actually building more lean muscle tissue are 2 different things.

Why do want to change what is clearly working, keep lifting.
  • Ben2118
    Gaining muscle and gaining strength aren't necessarily the same thing. You CAN gain strength while losing fat.

Could you explain in a little more detail? I find this interesting that's all and want to know as much as I can.
  • Ben2118
    Getting stronger and actually building more lean muscle tissue are 2 different things.

I guess it's because the weight loss has slowed down an awful lot, I seem to gain and lose the same 5lbs at the min and was thinking if switching it up would get me back on track.

Just after ideas and opinions thats all
  • Hendrix7

I guess it's because the weight loss has slowed down an awful lot, I seem to gain and lose the same 5lbs at the min and was thinking if switching it up would get me back on track.

Just after ideas and opinions thats all

This will be diet related not to do with the lifting, have you chaned your calorie allowance since the original weight loss?
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Keep lifting in my opinion, in fact don't hesitate to increase the reps, weight or cut down on the amount of rest between sets. Keep changing that up and more results will follow. If you aren't currently doing any cardio then add some in there, I don't think you mentioned if you did. Like Hendrix mentioned, have you readjusted your calorie and macro needs?
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Here is an article about how bulking and cutting may not be necessary. I'm not posting this to upset anyone. Just sharing it. http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/

This artice is so helpful! I'm no body builder and am 56 years old, but in the last 10 months while losing 38 lbs., I'm sure I've gained muscle too. I'm so much stronger and toned and have worked hard to not be "skinny fat". I think eating nutritious food and a safe cut of calories from my TDEE is working slowly but surely. I've become stronger through strength training along with cardio.
  • Ben2118

This will be diet related not to do with the lifting, have you chaned your calorie allowance since the original weight loss?

Yes, I alter it in line with my weight loss, currently on the 40/40/20 P/C/F macro settings. I haven't been logging this past week or so as I decided to take a break whilst I figured out what I want to change but am planning on focusing on my diet more.

Current Calorie goal is 1980
  • Hendrix7

Could you explain in a little more detail? I find this interesting that's all and want to know as much as I can.

It's about becoming more efficient at certain movement patterns, getting your body to recruit more motor units, which doesn't require a calorie excess.

Too complicated to bother worrying about tbh, I certainly don't.
  • First of all, muscle weights more then fat.

So maybe that at this point when you don't have as much fat to shed, and finally you're building muscles with weight lifting. You are gaining muscle WHILE shedding fat, which means that you won't see a big change on the scale, but a big one in your body composition.

And the less flab you want, the more muscles you want. So continue eating well, doing cardio and lifting weights. (: There is a lot of great information out there. Check out: www.bodybuilding.com and www.cutandjacked.com for more tips and info.

Good luck, and keep it up! Ox
  • Ben2118

It's about becoming more efficient at certain movement patterns, getting your body to recruit more motor units, which doesn't require a calorie excess.

Too complicated to bother worrying about tbh, I certainly don't.

Enough said! lol But thanks, I didn't know there was a difference.