Where do you draw the line...

...between "no pain no gain" and "my body's telling me to stop"?

I generally run 3-4 times a week between 2 and 5 miles. I'm following a program to run a half marathon in November and increasing my mileage weekly. I'm a reluctant runner, so I have to push myself for pretty much every run, but I've stuck to my program even when I haven't felt like it, had blisters, etc... and been fine.

Today I went out for a 3 miler and was a mess--my legs felt like lead (which happens sometimes at the outset but goes away) the whole time, I had pain in my back, cramp in my calf. It was humid and I was running into a steady 15mph headwind, but nothing else was unusual. I ended up stopping halfway through, and am just wondering if that was the right decision in case it happens again. I usually try to listen to my body, but since I'm not athletic or super into running, I don't know if I should've pushed through.

Thanks for your thoughts!

(PS: I am due for new shoes and have them on order)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    good question. i dont really know what the answer is because as a former athlete i have a better idea of what my physical limits are than someone who's never been PUSHED . i also know the difference between good this is progress pain and bad i'm about to do damage pain.

generally speaking, i guess i mainly go by how my joints feel, how long it takes to recover, if it affects my sleep at night. any SHARP SUDDEN pains are bad and i listen to those and will stop. slow dull muscle aches i tend to tell myself to suck it up princess and work through it

are you hydrated enough? how's your electrolytes? those things will also have an effect on how your runs feel and muscle cramps. i find having so coconut water helps with that.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    my general rule is if it is fatigue, soreness, achiness I push through. if its sharp or piercing i stop.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    I'm a fairly new runner and the farthest I do is a 10k...any more than that and I don't enjoy. I do really like running, but have to push myself for the first mile before I start to get in the swing. Like you said..heavy legs, trouble breathing, etc. But sometimes you just have a bad run and those feelings don't get better, on those I switch to a brisk walk and maybe do a couple of running intervals. Next time I hit the trail it feels good again. Nothing wrong with a nice walk! :-)

Good luck on your half marathon!