Fly in, Fly Out Partners affecting diet?

Options
kewwy1
kewwy1 Posts: 41 Member
Hi all

I have a partner who is fly in fly out for 3 weeks on, one week off. On the weeks that hes' away, it's pretty easy to maintain a healthier diet and head towards my weight loss goal. As soon as he gets home however, that motivation flies out the window and I struggle with my diet. He wants to eat out every night and wants all the things has hasn't been able to have while being away.

Can anybody give me some tips or friend me for some motivation? :)

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I can say it is the same for the person flying in and out too, possibly worse because often not only is camp food horrible tasting but unhealthy too so there is a huge temptation to indulge back at home. That was me for a while, the person FIFOing.

I'm afraid the only solution i came up with this was to give up fly in fly out work and live in the mining town.
    Obviously this isn't something you probably want to do yourself although i personally love it.

Maybe you might have eat different meals if your partner wants something you don't think is healthy? Or maybe it is something you just need to have a talk about so they are supportive of you and your goals. And if you can make your exercise while they are home something you can share in together, e.g. go for a walk together, play tennis etc. Even if isn't as high intensity as you normally do it is at least something. Or if you spend a lot of time watching movies/TV together at home maybe think about getting a cheap compact exercise bike that you could ride while you watch. I've got one of them and that works out great, especially if you put on an interval timer on your phone to make sure i push myself and not just get caught up in the show and hardly move my legs.

That's about all i can think so. Honestly the way Australia is going with fly in fly out lifestyles is really making me angry. It is such as strain on so many relationships and is definitely not good for health and wellbeing or communities. It would be fine if there was lots of options to be residential and FIFO was a choice, but so often there is such a lack of affordable housing there is no real choice.

Good luck.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Oh i completely hear you on this one!
    My man is FIFO 4 and 1... so i'm great for a month and then have a week of crap and no workouts :(

as yet i haven't come to a conclusion as to how i can get around this! haha BUT i did try to think to myself... its only a week, i didn't lose the weight in a week and i wont gain it in a week either ;)
  • kewwy1
    Options
    I guess all I can try and do is make sure I head to the gym on the week that he's down, at least if we do eat out it won't make such a big impact like the last time!
  • specialtreat
    Options
    My husband does FI/FO week on week off and it is sooooo hard to be good the week he is home. He likes to have a couple of beers in the evening and I like to have a couple of wines, coffee's at the coffee shop, and my exercise routine goes out the window :(
    I have yet to find my strength to say no to all the "naughties" and yes to my exercise.
    Sorry no help was I?
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    Oh i completely hear you on this one!
    My man is FIFO 4 and 1... so i'm great for a month and then have a week of crap and no workouts :(

as yet i haven't come to a conclusion as to how i can get around this! haha BUT i did try to think to myself... its only a week, i didn't lose the weight in a week and i wont gain it in a week either ;)

I think thats a good way to think of it, look at your journey in cycles of 4 weeks instead of weekly and if you are down after a month then all is good, as long as the numbers are trending down you are winning, but haha if it was me i would have the months weigh in the day before he flew home, try and not stress it for the week, enjoy the time home and then really knuckle down for the other three weeks.
    My son is FIFO as well, started geting the FIFO belly but then has got into a cycle of work washing, while thats happening go to the gym, can really see the difference. Its can be tuff but hang in there and enjoy him while you have him home....
  • kewwy1
    Options
    My other half has only been doing it for 6 months now, so hopefully we will get into a better routine...

My partner definitely drinks more now that he works away but luckily that doesn't effect me what so ever as I'm not much a drinker anymore.

I think that's a brilliant idea to do a monthly weigh in instead of weekly and will try that approach from now on and weigh in just before he gets home! :)