Weightlifting

Options
2»

Replies

• JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Once a month, measurements are more important than the scale :)
    You have to remember that when you're lifting, you muscles are retaining water for muscle repair. I like the idea of throwing the scale out, personally lol. I just finished ChaLEAN Extreme a couple of weeks ago (my profile pic is 2/3 of the way thru that program) and I just started P90X this week. I've seen better results with lifting than I did in YEARS being a cardio addict. That all being said...can you have someone hide for scale and only take it out once a month for weigh ins? You will start losing again but more importantly you're hopefully losing body fat and replacing it with lean muscle. Have you done body fat and tape measurements?

I haven't done measurements, but I think I'm going to just to see how I progress. How frequently do you take measurements after the initial first time?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing a few months ago. I don't even think about the scale anymore. I'm currently doing StongLifts 5x5. I've been at it for about 12 weeks. I'm reading about Wendler 5/3/1 and am wanting to switch to that soon.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just finished ChaLEAN Extreme a couple of weeks ago (my profile pic is 2/3 of the way thru that program) and I just started P90X this week. I've seen better results with lifting than I did in YEARS being a cardio addict.

I SO agree! Chalean Extreme was my "gateway drug" to weightlifting. :) The year I did that - first coupled with C25K, then with Turbofire - I only lost 8 lbs (stupid, stupid scale) but I dropped from a size 8/10 to a size 4. HUGE difference. I still pull out that scale now and I DON'T KNOW WHY! I eat clean, I stay at my cut value daily for calories, and my workout routine is set. There is NO WAY I can possibly gain weight yet I still drag that thing out. Argh. What is wrong with me???

Anyways, I have NROLFW but have just read it for general info, I haven't followed any routines yet. I've done CLX and P90X in the past. Right now I'm doing Cathe's Shock Training System (STS) which is a 4 month heavy weight program which I luuuuv.....Mon is shoulders, chest and triceps, Wed is legs, Fri is back and biceps, each routine is an hour. First mesocycle focuses on endurance, I'm in mesocycle 2 now which focuses on hypertrophy....Cathe is a fan of drop sets and trisets which makes me super happy and a nice change from the usual routines. I do some minimal cardio on Tu/Th (an hour or less) and that's it. I tried adding in a quick 30 min run after my weight routines and my body pretty much flipped out on me. So back to less cardio. :)

After this, I'm going on to P90X2. Love my weights!!!! I just wish my forearms would toughen up already! I can go much, much heavier on deadlifts and squats but my forearms give out before my legs do. I'm using a 20 lb weight vest on squats and lunges so I can back off on my dumbbells to 35 lbs, which is just really sad. :(
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
  • smksapper
    smksapper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this! I started reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women in late May. My husband goes to the Y with me and we do the workouts (he modifies his a bit since he can lift more.) He asked me to not weigh myself the first few weeks to give myself time to see a difference before freaking out about the scale which was a fantastic idea - now I'm hooked and I get it! I'm on phase 1 and opted to do the higher amount of workouts before moving on to phase 2.

I haven't been watching my calories much since summer started but got back to it this week and have been logging. I've lost about 4 lbs since May BUT am fitting into some clothes I couldn't wear out in public before I started the lifting.

Also, saw the Nerd Fitness reference in a link someone posted a few comments up - GREAT sight :) I love that they support heavy lifting for women.

I'm going to check out the links to the groups here. Just wanted to say HI and happy to read this! :smile:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like compound lifts, but i cant stick to any of the programs myself :(
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is great stuff!! I recently started kickboxing but want to get back into heavy lifting on alternate days - seems like the benefits are pretty clear! Maybe I'll check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women!! I'm going to check out some of the links on here once my trial is over and try to learn more as I make the final push towards my wedding :)
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is great stuff!! I recently started kickboxing but want to get back into heavy lifting on alternate days - seems like the benefits are pretty clear! Maybe I'll check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women!! I'm going to check out some of the links on here once my trial is over and try to learn more as I make the final push towards my wedding :)

You should DEFINITELY check out NROLFW! It gave such great info on lifting and diet, and I love the workouts. It really focuses on total body exercises that make sense based on how the human body is designed to move/the things you do everyday (for example, it talks about how tricep kickbacks are really unnecessary because when in real life do you ever push something behind you? and triceps can be worked out in other ways that actually compliment the things you do in everyday life.)

I totally recommend it. Also, when is you wedding? Mine is next summer. :)
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love lifting more than puppies. I love weight lifting more than Jello Pudding pops. I love weight lifting more than a double rainbow with a pot of Gold and a crazzy effin hot Leprechaun at the end of it....the best part of my day is when I wake up and I go to the gym..I'm going to bed early tonight so I can go to sleep- so I can wake up and go to the gym...

*sigh* more than cheesecake, porkchops, or sprial cut ham...

But not bacon...let's not get crazy
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have been doing NROLFW since march, love it. Haven't lost any lbs since starting, but I have lost 1.5 inches on my waist as well as many inches other places. I have seen so many more improvements lifting than I ever did with cardio.

If you want, add me / check out my blog posts with my progress / pics if you want proof!!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yay! I do NROL4W too! Love it.

Nothing better than getting stronger! :)
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love CATHE also... 2nd week of STS... It's great!...have done chalean extreme also and p90x...but STS is my favorite!
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I love CATHE also... 2nd week of STS... It's great!...have done chalean extreme also and p90x...but STS is my favorite!

That's good to know. I've been checking into her STS training program and I'm really thinking about doing it after I'm done my half marathon in September. I loved Chalean Extreme and P90X.