Creating New "Walking" Exercise for Database?

Options
hi there. i walk to work and i carry approximately twenty pounds of gear on my back for my job (stab vest, utility belt, metal water bottles, etc.)

i'd like to have an entry where i can walk for however many minutes (though it's usually a half hour) with a 20lb or more backpack on and know how many calories it is. currently there is a "walk with 15lb baby/load" entry but i'd like to have one similar to the existing ones, where i can choose my speed. i don't do this walk slowly, i purposely do my best to really truck it. i'd choose the 3.0mph if i could.

could anyone tell me how to make this entry so it describes calories for me or perhaps do it up for me? *pretty smile* :love:

any help is appreciated.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you can work out what the calories are, you go to add a new exercise (as if you were adding it to your diary) and then click on Create A New Exercise.

Similar to creating a new food.
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thanks! but i don't know how to work out the calories. i really rely on MFP to do that for me, though i know that's only a best guess.
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    maybe if it's a 20lb backpack of stuff, i should just check off backpacking? anyone have any thoughts? that's listed in the exercise database.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How about if you log your weight as 20lbs heavier than you really are, and enter 30 minutes into the exercise log? Then it will give you the number of calories burned at that heavier weight. Then you can change your weight back to your real weight, but you'll know how much you'll burn with the extra 20lbs, and you can create the new exercise with this figure, like the other poster said.
  • nxd10
    Options
    maybe if it's a 20lb backpack of stuff, i should just check off backpacking? anyone have any thoughts? that's listed in the exercise database.

That's what I'd do. I do backpack and 20lbs is a nice weekend load.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Actually, I found this that you can use if you want something else:

http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=17&ti=Walking&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do my walking on mountain trails with a backpack. If your walk route incorporates hills, try the MFP entry for 'Hiking, climbing hills (carrying 10-20 lb load)'.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't rely on MFP database to determine your exercise calories at all. It's completely and utterly wrong!
    Everyone burns differently depending on their height/weight/sex/intensity of workout!

I see people all the time relying on it and I know they are overestimating their calorie burn a lot, in some cases maybe underestimating but rarely!

Either google some calorie calcs and work out the average from them or get a HRM!

Good luck!